bamse

No SSN/TIN for Health Insurance, is there a fee?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Is there a fee for not listing the SSN/TIN because of IRS reporting? My husband was added to my insurance but with a 6 month grace period. We are waiting for our AOS and EAD etc. to be processed in order for him to get a SSN. 

Here is what it says on our health insurance account page:

Update your Tax Identification Number:
Please provide and/or update Tax Identification Numbers (TIN), generally your Social Security Number for you and your dependents.

Failure to supply the SSN/TIN may subject the member to a $50 penalty imposed by the Internal Revenue Service under Section 6723.

Here is what I found on the IRS website:

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/questions-and-answers-about-reporting-social-security-numbers-to-your-health-insurance-company

Q4: What if I refuse to provide this information to my health insurance company?

A4: The information received by the Internal Revenue Service will be used to verify information on your individual income tax return.  If the information you provide on your tax return cannot be verified, you may receive an inquiry from the Internal Revenue Service.  You also may receive a notice from the Internal Revenue Service indicating that you are liable for an individual shared responsibility payment.

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I got a letter from our insurance provider (If I remember correctly) saying the same thing.  But since I owe money to the IRS usually, what's another $50 😃

I-130                                                                 I-129F

Spoiler

Mailed: Mar. 9, 2019 (Phoenix LB)              Aug. 9,  2019

Delivered: Mar. 12, 2019                               Aug. 12, 2019

NOA1/PD: Mar. 15,  2019 (LIN)                   Aug. 15,  2019

NOA2: Sep. 24, 2019 - Approved                 Sep. 24, 2019 - Denied 

I-130 sent to NVC: Oct. 8, 2019

Received NVC: Oct. 18, 2019

NVC Case#: Nov. 09, 2019 (Assigned to China, should be Japan )

AOS Submitted: Nov. 18, 2019

IV Submitted:  Dec. 23, 2019

AOS/IV Approved: Jan. 16, 2020 

Interview Scheduled: Jan. 23, 2020

Request location change: Mid Nov. 2019 --> Feb. 21, 2020

Contacted my Reps (House, Senate): Feb. 5, 2020 - Rep contacted Guangzhou & Tokyo. 

Response 1: Feb. 11, 2020 - Guangzhou gave copy/paste info to my Rep's office.

Response 2: Feb. 18, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy - Requested transfer fm China - Case moved to Administrative Processing 

A Short Time Later after talking with Rep. Case's office, they contacted the embassies again. 

Response 3: Feb. 21, 2020 - Transfer complete; New interview scheduled.

Interview Date: Mar. 2, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy 

Interview Result: Approved

Visa Issued: Mar. 4, 2020

Visa in hand: Mar. 6, 2020

Time: ~359 Days from start to finish 

POE:  Stupid COVID-19 delaying travel to the US....

POE: Aug. 13, 2020 - San Francisco 

SSN: Oct. 23, 2020

GC: Aug 5, 2021 (51 weeks from entry)

I-751

NOA1 - May 20, 2022 CA Service Center

NOA2 - July 20, 2022 Case Transfered to NBC

NOA3 - Mar 6, 2023 48 month GC extension letter

NOA4 - Sep 1, 2023 Biometrics Appointment 

Update - Oct 6, 2023 Case status update to show fingerprints taken  

:clock:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.