cfp

Police Background Check Questions (Japan, Norway, Spain)

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi, new to this forum.

I am at the stage of needing to upload police checks to the website so I can submit all and assumingely, wait for my interview. However, I have lived in a few places and I am having an absolute nightmare getting police checks.

My question is: How essential are they are if I am unable to provide them, will this lead to my visa being rejected?

- I lived in Norway for a year 12 years ago, my background check request has been rejected because theres no record of me being registered with any residence there. I lived with my ex gf, the apartment we had was registered in her name, and not joint. I was not there illegally and have no criminal record in Norway. Chances of getting this police check are basically 0 now.

- Spanish police check. The embassy in Tokyo have told me, I have to go to Spain to pick it up which seems like nonsense. I've read bits in this forum about it and it seems like a nightmare to obtain via mail. Anyone want to help me with this one?

- Japanese police check. It is addressed to US Immigration with my name under it. It says it is only to be opened by the addressee. Those of you who have been in Japan, did you open it to scan to upload or leave the envelope sealed for immigration to open? Confusion.

Any answers would be appreciated here. My main fear is that after months of this, not having a police check for a place I lived in years ago will make all the difference. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

They are required.. so 100% essential.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, cfp said:

Hi, new to this forum.

I am at the stage of needing to upload police checks to the website so I can submit all and assumingely, wait for my interview. However, I have lived in a few places and I am having an absolute nightmare getting police checks.

My question is: How essential are they are if I am unable to provide them, will this lead to my visa being rejected?

- I lived in Norway for a year 12 years ago, my background check request has been rejected because theres no record of me being registered with any residence there. I lived with my ex gf, the apartment we had was registered in her name, and not joint. I was not there illegally and have no criminal record in Norway. Chances of getting this police check are basically 0 now.

- Spanish police check. The embassy in Tokyo have told me, I have to go to Spain to pick it up which seems like nonsense. I've read bits in this forum about it and it seems like a nightmare to obtain via mail. Anyone want to help me with this one?

- Japanese police check. It is addressed to US Immigration with my name under it. It says it is only to be opened by the addressee. Those of you who have been in Japan, did you open it to scan to upload or leave the envelope sealed for immigration to open? Confusion.

Any answers would be appreciated here. My main fear is that after months of this, not having a police check for a place I lived in years ago will make all the difference. 

for Japan acc to https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Japan.html

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: Japanese Police Certificates are issued in a sealed envelope. If the seal is broken, the certificate is considered invalid. Visa applicants should not open a sealed envelope containing a Police Certificate. The applicant must bring the original Police Certificate in a sealed envelope to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate at the time of his/her interview. Applicants should only send a photocopy of the sealed envelope to the National Visa Center, but not the actual police certificate itself.

Edited by xyz12345

Filed: Timeline

For Spain, you can follow suggested by the following:

1) check out the list of English speaking lawyers

https://spain.embassy.gov.au/madr/PoliceClearance-Spain.html

2) https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/spain.html

3) https://www.wikiprocedure.com/index.php/Spain_-_Obtain_a_Police_Clearance_Certificate_(Criminal_Record_Certificate)

for Norway, you have to be registered with the police if staying for more than 3 months.

https://www.norway.no/en/usa/services-info/visitors-visa-res-permit/res-permit/

For nationals of other countries:

• Nationals of EU/EEA countries do not need a residence permit to stay or work in Norway. However, all nationals of EU/EEA countries who want to stay for longer than three months must register with the police.
  • Nationals of non-EU/EEA countries who want to work in Norway or to stay for longer than 90 days need a residence permit.

The Directorate of Immigration (UDI) normally processes applications for a residence permit. 

Edited by xyz12345

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Priceless info, thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it. 

As for Norway, I didn't register with the police so thats the issue there. 

One person has said the checks are 100% essential, if I can't get a Norwegian police check and show the email from the police in my interview, is there leniency or are all checks a must/deal breaker? Surely many people have failed to get checks in the past... It would seem a heavy price to pay this far into the process.

Are all checks needed to upload first or can I go ahead and proceed and present them in the interview to save time?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by cfp

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.