NMHayek

Reopening of Embassys

32 posts in this topic

Hello, has there been any news on when the State Department might allow Embassies to reopen around the world?

Just for clarity: I’m not asking about a specific embassy but when the State department will allow embassies to reopen around the world .

My husband case is DCF in Egypt and we both live here and I’ve had a hard time finding any information on what progress or steps or even discussion the State Department is taking/doing to allow embassies to reopen

Has anyone heard anything?

P.S. I hope I put this in the correct thread, please move if not. 

Edited by NMHayek

Just now, NMHayek said:

Hello, has there been any news on when the State Department might allow Embassys to reopen?

My husband case is DCF in Egypt and we both live here and I’ve had a hard time finding any information on what progress or steps or even discussion the State Department is taking/doing to approve reopening.

Has anyone heard anything?

P.S. I hope I put this in the correct thread, please move if not. 

I should mention I’m not asking when the Egyptian Embassy will open but when the State Department will allow all embassies globally to start opening 

My guess is that since exceptions were made within the EO that would allow certain visa types entry even though the desire was to stop ALL entries there was a very effective way of preventing entry into the U.S. 

Close all of the embassies and don't reopen them until after the EO expires.

This is just my opinion but it does accomplish exactly what could not be written into the EO. When the order expires we will begin to see embassies reopen.

Edited by 1MARLEN

2 hours ago, 1MARLEN said:

My guess is that since exceptions were made within the EO that would allow certain visa types entry even though the desire was to stop ALL entries there was a very effective way of preventing entry into the U.S. 

Close all of the embassies and don't reopen them until after the EO expires.

This is just my opinion but it does accomplish exactly what could not be written into the EO. When the order expires we will begin to see embassies reopen.

This is not correct and the closure has nothing to do with the Executive Order, US embassies are closed to ALL - even for US Citizens. I am a US Citizen and I cannot even go to my embassy or make an appointment for citizen services.The State department closed the embassies globally due to the COVID/Corona Crisis. I am asking if anyone has heard any news when the embassies might open.

Please no guesses because this is how misinformation is spread, I am asking if anyone has had any news. Thank you!

So the FACT is that you are now guessing. You don't know why the embassies worldwide are not opening. You are simply believing what you are told from others or how the closures are being masked.

I am also a U.S. Citizen, veteran, and former gov employee. 

The point you are missing is there is no need for an EO. Close ALL embassies under whatever premises you want and offer services to no one. 

This does in fact prevent ALL new visa entry into the U.S.

So since everyone keeps asking the impossible question to answer over and over, the answer is, look for them to open when the EO expires. I'm sorry that you don't like or agree with my response but it is what it is. You have the power to vote in November if you don't like my answer.

Yes, I want to know as well but I've accepted the fact that this is most likely going to happen when the EO expires, so I will wait just like everyone else for a CR1/CR2 interview date. 

"Please no guesses because this is how misinformation is spread, I am asking if anyone has had any news. Thank you!"

And Thank You!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 hours ago, NMHayek said:

I should mention I’m not asking when the Egyptian Embassy will open but when the State Department will allow all embassies globally to start opening 

State department has already determined what the reopen criteria is.  Once the local conditions meet the criteria they can restart.   The local staff has the authority to do this.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, 1MARLEN said:

So the FACT is that you are now guessing. You don't know why the embassies worldwide are not opening. You are simply believing what you are told from others or how the closures are being masked.

I am also a U.S. Citizen, veteran, and former gov employee. 

The point you are missing is there is no need for an EO. Close ALL embassies under whatever premises you want and offer services to no one. 

This does in fact prevent ALL new visa entry into the U.S.

So since everyone keeps asking the impossible question to answer over and over, the answer is, look for them to open when the EO expires. I'm sorry that you don't like or agree with my response but it is what it is. You have the power to vote in November if you don't like my answer.

Yes, I want to know as well but I've accepted the fact that this is most likely going to happen when the EO expires, so I will wait just like everyone else for a CR1/CR2 interview date. 

"Please no guesses because this is how misinformation is spread, I am asking if anyone has had any news. Thank you!"

And Thank You!

I don't wish to delve into the political, so I will chose my words carefully. Due to the following:

1). Blanket stopping of all visa processing by the DOS

2). President Trump's recent remarks regarding the improved state of the economy

3). The fact that the EO itself really did LITTLE to ban actual immigration

4). The apparent political posturing that this move does (a statistic I read said something like 84% of Americans wanted immigration restricted), makes it all completely for optics. "Ban" immigration" to "help the economy"....

leads me to think that you are correct and the end of the EO at the end of June is the beginning of reissuing Visas. By that time, the majority of countries will be in the final stages of reopening as well, just judging by the news. ***This is pure speculation on my part, and I have no proof of the validity of this theory***

I am also waiting on news of when the US embassy in Nairobi will open. This website has information on the status of each countries US Embassy operations. It is updated almost daily. It appears as though New Zealand might be open, and there may be a few more. The information is tedious to sift through. Have a go at it:

https://www.immigrationlaw.com/u-s-consulate-closures-due-to-covid-19/

Edited by My Mzuri
To fix a word

53 minutes ago, RPete said:

I don't wish to delve into the political, so I will chose my words carefully. Due to the following:

1). Blanket stopping of all visa processing by the DOS

2). President Trump's recent remarks regarding the improved state of the economy

3). The fact that the EO itself really did LITTLE to ban actual immigration

4). The apparent political posturing that this move does (a statistic I read said something like 84% of Americans wanted immigration restricted), makes it all completely for optics. "Ban" immigration" to "help the economy"....

leads me to think that you are correct and the end of the EO at the end of June is the beginning of reissuing Visas. By that time, the majority of countries will be in the final stages of reopening as well, just judging by the news. ***This is pure speculation on my part, and I have no proof of the validity of this theory***

Yup. My cynical side completely agrees. There's been no action at the montreal consulate if anyone is wondering. I suspect its the same everywhere. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Devint said:

Yup. My cynical side completely agrees. There's been no action at the montreal consulate if anyone is wondering. I suspect its the same everywhere. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-visa-services-and-restrictions.html

This is probably the best place to monitor things right now. Until this changes, we wont be getting visas, embassies open or not.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, My Mzuri said:

I am also waiting on news of when the US embassy in Nairobi will open. This website has information on the status of each countries US Embassy operations. It is updated almost daily. It appears as though New Zealand might be open, and there may be a few more. The information is tedious to sift through. Have a go at it:

https://www.immigrationlaw.com/u-s-consulate-closures-due-to-covid-19/

When you know let me know

3 hours ago, My Mzuri said:

It appears as though New Zealand might be open,

I hadn't heard that.  Hopefully it is true!  NZ is special though.....they kicked COVID19's ### at the very beginning of the pandemic. It is considered eradicated. Other countries with similar populations (even other island nations) have not managed this.

2 hours ago, stech786 said:

after June 4, we will see reopening 

Source?

Timeline
10 hours ago, 1MARLEN said:

And Thank You!

The embassy in Belgrade, Serbia opened on Monday, June 1, 2020.

https://rs.usembassy.gov/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.