Roberto M

Who can take a minor to the consulate Interview/Medical other than the petitioner I-130

28 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, JasonGG said:

For a k1, definitely refer to this lust.  For a k2 follow to join interview in Vietnam and perhaps other countries, most of this is unnecessary.  The k1 documents are already on file and the k1 and k2 applicants are approved (or ready to be approved in the follow to join's case) by the time of the follow to join interview.  

The follow to join k2 is providing the passport and perhaps alleviating any concerns about trafficking. The embassy already has all the financial and other documents submitted for the k1 as part of the k2's file.  

If I remember correctly, the letter instructs what the k2 should bring, though. - Jason

If there’s a letter that details requirements, great. The main point was that there  should be some official list, and the person should not be relying on Internet forums as to what to bring.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
19 minutes ago, JasonGG said:

For a k1, definitely refer to this lust.  For a k2 follow to join interview in Vietnam and perhaps other countries, most of this is unnecessary.  The k1 documents are already on file and the k1 and k2 applicants are approved (or ready to be approved in the follow to join's case) by the time of the follow to join interview.  

The follow to join k2 is providing the passport and perhaps alleviating any concerns about trafficking. The embassy already has all the financial and other documents submitted for the k1 as part of the k2's file.  

If I remember correctly, the letter instructs what the k2 should bring, though. - Jason

Nobody said anything about a k2

YMMV

45 minutes ago, JasonGG said:

My wife's son brought his birth certificate, passport, and interview invitation letter.  We also sent him with photos of all of us together, but those weren't needed.  We also sent him with money to pay the expedited shipping after the interview. 

My wife's friend who accompanied him brought her passport and id card.

This "interview" is really nothing more than an opportunity to see the k2 applicant and collect their passport.  I don't believe he spoke other than to say yes or no to a couple questions. - Jason

Thank you for this response.

49 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

What to bring to the interview is very clearly stated in the department of state pages. Please ensure you have read everything in their very thorough guide to the process.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-10-prepare-for-the-interview/step-11-applicant-interview.html

Yes, I receive all that the embassy say that should be brought to the interview but some of those are general documents for certain immigrant visa category.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Sunshinestatefl said:

Thank you for this response.

Understand that a k2 is a derivative visa and approval is automatic once the k1 was approved.   Your child is not applying for a k2.  In the end, it may actually be as simple as previously explained,  or it may not.

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, JasonGG said:

K2 follow to join is the topic of this post.  See post 1, page 1.

I beg to differ.  Title of the post is "Who can take a minor to the consulate Interview/Medical other than the petitioner I-130"

I130 is immigrant petition and the first post also refers to the ds260 which is the immigrant visa application 

YMMV

8 minutes ago, JasonGG said:

K2 follow to join is the topic of this post.  See post 1, page 1.

4 minutes ago, payxibka said:

I beg to differ.  Title of the post is "Who can take a minor to the consulate Interview/Medical other than the petitioner I-130"

I130 is immigrant petition and the first post also refers to the ds260 which is the immigrant visa application 

Indeed, topic of post is title. Not everyone reads all the posts, or forgets what they read days or weeks back, so having a proper title helps. 

edit: reading back, post 1 says nothing about k2. Could be cr2 - the post just says spouse’s kid (petitioner’s step kid )

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

Sorry.  I was wrong about it being a k2, but still a follow to join interview.  I was offering my first hand experience with k2 follow to join since the original posting earlier this month.  I absolutely defer to your experience with the follow to join interview of the 130.

1 minute ago, JasonGG said:

Sorry.  I was wrong about it being a k2, but still a follow to join interview.  I was offering my first hand experience with k2 follow to join since the original posting earlier this month.  I absolutely defer to your experience with the follow to join interview of the 130.

Cr2 is not follow to join. It is a separate petition. There are no derivatives on IR/CR visas.

Timeline
Just now, JasonGG said:

In the end it may mimic very closely what your experience was.

Technically there is no such thing as "follow to join" in this situation.   The minor was separately petitioned for.  

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.