dadadada

Met fiancée through her work has a webcam model

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding meeting my fiancée through her work as a webcam model and what my best options would be to prevent an RFE or otherwise any other problems that could arise.

I believe the evidence of an ongoing relationship as well as evidence of our in-person meeting is strong and we are submitting a supplemental letter describing the circumstances of our meeting. Is there anything I should include in that statement or as evidence to prevent potential problems? I understand that no matter what there will be a risk.

The only suggestion I've been able to find in other questions is to attach a copy of the TOS from the website.

I appreciate any help!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, dadadada said:

Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding meeting my fiancée through her work as a webcam model and what my best options would be to prevent an RFE or otherwise any other problems that could arise.

I believe the evidence of an ongoing relationship as well as evidence of our in-person meeting is strong and we are submitting a supplemental letter describing the circumstances of our meeting. Is there anything I should include in that statement or as evidence to prevent potential problems? I understand that no matter what there will be a risk.

The only suggestion I've been able to find in other questions is to attach a copy of the TOS from the website.

I appreciate any help!

What kind of RFE?  As long as you have met in person within the past two years,  are both free to marry and include statements of intent, there is not much else to the petition.

No such thing as a letter regarding circumstances of meeting.   If your response is longer than will fit on the form, you need to rethink your response.   

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Mat well depend on what exactly her work entails.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
8 hours ago, payxibka said:

What kind of RFE?  As long as you have met in person within the past two years,  are both free to marry and include statements of intent, there is not much else to the petition.

No such thing as a letter regarding circumstances of meeting.   If your response is longer than will fit on the form, you need to rethink your response.   

I've seen posts that mentioning meeting online could prompt questions related to IMBRA.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
45 minutes ago, dadadada said:

I've seen posts that mentioning meeting online could prompt questions related to IMBRA.

Maybe a decade and a half ago.  The super majority of people here have probably met online.   The super majority do not get RFEs, besides the "love" story wouldn't prevent the IMBRA RFE anyway.

YMMV

I don't want to cause any offense here so I will ask this as delicately as I can, and I really mean this in a judgment-free way. I know that cam girls/webcam models get paid for what they do, and they absolutely SHOULD get paid for it. :) And I understand that it is usually completely legal. But I do not know if there are potential implications like what I read some women who were bar girls in the Philippines go through when getting petitioned. There are presumptions I would think that USCIS/DHS might make about her job that theoretically could make things difficult at a later stage. It could be an uncomfortable discussion but it might be an important one if you have not had it already.

3 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

I know that prostitution is an inadmissibility although a temporary one. I'm not sure sure if her job is considered prostitution though. 

How you met is not a problem - you met online. The issue is her work history. 

I think that cam work isn't illegal per se because there is no physical contact. (I did a little research last night on it, quite interesting, but I'm no lawyer so take my research with a grain of salt!) It's, um, whether there are any "extracurricular" activities outside of the chatting that could be problematic. 

Again I say all of this without judgment. I don't see anything wrong with it, but I agree the job is potentially more of a problem than the meeting online. 

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

I know that prostitution is an inadmissibility although a temporary one. I'm not sure sure if her job is considered prostitution though. 

How you met is not a problem - you met online. The issue is her work history. 

Can you expand on the temporary piece? In what situation does the inadmissibility expire?

9 minutes ago, dadadada said:

I guess, then, a question I'd have is in the eventual interview at the consulate, is the beneficiary judged based on US law, the home country law, or both?

The questionnaire you have to fill in before the interview, as well as the one on the i-485 has the question of "Have you ever been a prostitute?". If you answer yes, you're inadmissible. As far as I know, you're only inadmissible if you were a prostitute within the last ten years. I know there are waivers for this, someone more knowledgeable could answer. Lying can create big problems. 

I don't think being a webcam model counts as prostitution for inadmissibility but I can't be sure. 

Edited by Orangesapples

The other thing I'd add is that you should encourage your fiancee to be honest with you about what her work involves. This isn't just for immigration purposes but for having a healthy relationship too. I have found in my own experience that waiting to talk about difficult things because you want to spare the other person from hurt just makes it harder further down the line. 

I think your decision to consult with an attorney is a good one but make sure to find one who has experience with family based immigration, too many stories on here about people who retained attorneys but found out they were more familiar with work visas, etc. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.