marianava

Divorcing an abusive husband

34 posts in this topic

A few months ago I wrote a post about my problem with my husband that he was abusing me and trying to deport me,

since then I left, changed my address online and I received my SSN and GC, my husband doesn't know that, he still thinks he will be receiving them and that there's a delay due to Covid 19. he keeps texting me and saying that he will not give them to me and that he will do everything to deport me .

Now I am trying to get a divorce but the problem is that they require me to put my address and SSN on the forms and I definitely don't want my husband to have this information.

I searched on google but I couldn't find an answer to this, is there a way to keep this information out of the divorce forms?

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

Advice:  Save every text and every threat and add an application for a permanent restraining order to the petition.

I don’t remember having to put a personal address on a divorce petition.  The address is the attorney’s address for the court or the respondent to send or receive  papers or correspondence.

3 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

Advice:  Save every text and every threat and add an application for a permanent restraining order to the petition.

I don’t remember having to put a personal address on a divorce petition.  The address is the attorney’s address for the court or the respondent to send or receive  papers or correspondence.

I am doing it myself and I have to put my address and SSN

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Since you're filing against him and if he is the bread winner, you may be able to get your fees covered by him.

A lawyer would be able to tell you.

But yes keep record of everything and maybe go by a prescient and see what you can do as file as filing reports and see what advice they give you.

CR-1 Visa

Service Center: Nebraska    Consulate: Mexico

Marriage: 12/9/2016    I-130 Sent: 12/10/2016    I-130 NOA1: 12/13/2016

Notice from USCIS: 8/23/2017

USCIS Approval Date: 8/21/2017

NOA2 issued date: 8/18/2017   NOA2 hardcopy received: 8/25/2017

Notice from USCIS Sent to NVC: 9/1/2017    NVC received: 9/8/2017

Received case and invoice numbers: 9/12/2017

Choice of Agent DS-261: 9/12/2017

Welcome Letter: 9/15/2017

Received and Paid AOS: 9/15/2017    AOS payment cleared my bank: 9/19/2017 (still shows In Process on CEAC)

Received and paid IV bill: 9/19/2017    IV bill cleared bank: 9/21/2017

Requested Expedite: 9/20/2017

AOS and IV show as paid: 9/23/2017

DS260 unlocked: 9/23/2017

Partial Expedite Approved at Counselor Level: 9/25/2017 (Must still wait out NVC)

Scan Date: 10/2/2017    Case Complete: 11/15/2017 (6 weeks 2 days!)

Case sent to consulate: 11/20/2017     Received by consulate: 11/21/2017 (11/20 was a holiday in Mexico)

Interview Scheduled: Jan 2nd - I managed to get someones canceled appointment the very same day my case status turned to Ready.

Biometrics: Mexico City Dec 27th Medical: Mexico City Dec 28th

Case says READY but consulate says case is not in system, I jumped the gun and booked an interview but they say its invalid until I receive the letter so I might have to cancel it.

Appointment Letter: Flew to Juarez just to get this, its actually 2 letters you need.

Interview Day: Jan 2nd   Interview Result: APPROVED

Tracking Number Received: Via email notice and website the afternoon of Jan 4th    Visa Delivered: Friday Jan 5th Mexico City

USCIS Notice - Green Card mailed: 3/28/18

1 minute ago, MrHanky said:

Since you're filing against him and if he is the bread winner, you may be able to get your fees covered by him.

A lawyer would be able to tell you.

But yes keep record of everything and maybe go by a prescient and see what you can do as file as filing reports and see what advice they give you.

I really don't want to spend money on a lawyer...

Can I use a Po Box instead? 

1 hour ago, marianava said:

If you can't afford a lawyer, you can see if there's a law school near you that has a legal clinic, which are often very affordable.  I'm not sure if these have gone remote or not, but it's worth a shot.  Because you are a victim of domestic violence, you can probably also find legal aid charities that will give you free or affordable legal assistance. 

I'm not a lawyer, but getting a PO box sounds like a good way to prevent him from getting your address, unless the form specifies that it needs to be a physical address or a residential address.  If it's asking for your SSN and you already have one, I wouldn't advise that you leave that info off the form.  He'll find out that you already got your SSN eventually, and assuming you are physically safe and you keep your card safe (consider getting a safe deposit box at a bank, or a safe for your home, perhaps?) there's not much he can do to take them away from you now.

And yes, document the threats!  And if you feel threatened or unsafe please get help. 

Edited by Hawksquill

August 20, 2016 ----> May 5, 2021

1,720 days ----> 4 years, 8 months, and 16 days

DONE with our visa journey and USCIS!

K1:

Spoiler

8/20/2016: I-129F packet mailed
10/20/2016: NOA2

1/20/2017: Interview (approved!)

2/20/2017: POE Philadelphia

3/18/2017: Wedding!

Adjustment of Status:

Spoiler

5/11/2017:  I-485, I-131, and I-765 packets mailed to Chicago lockbox

5/18/2017: NOA

5/30/2017:  Biometrics completed (walk-in, East Hartford, CT ASC)

8/2017-9/2017: Three service requests and case request to Congresswoman submitted for I-765

10/7/2017:  EAD/AP combo card received 

12/14/2017: Interview!

12/30/2017: GC received

Removal of Conditions: 

Spoiler

9/16/2019: Packet mailed to Dallas lockbox

9/23/2019: NOA date

10/24/2019: Biometrics completed (East Hartford, CT ASC) 

8/18/2020: Case approved

9/8/2020: GC in hand!

Citizenship:

Spoiler

9/17/2020: N-400 filed online

9/25/2020: Hard copy NOA received

11/12/2020: Biometrics reuse notice on USCIS account

3/19/2021: Email notification that USCIS has taken action on our case

3/31/2021: Interview notice

5/5/2021: Interview in Lawrence, MA (our field office is Hartford, CT)

5/5/2021: Approval and same day oath ceremony due to COVID-19!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
3 hours ago, marianava said:

consultations are free, get 1 or 2 and talk to your local police precinct.

Don't get a PO Box without knowing that it's a doable solution.

CR-1 Visa

Service Center: Nebraska    Consulate: Mexico

Marriage: 12/9/2016    I-130 Sent: 12/10/2016    I-130 NOA1: 12/13/2016

Notice from USCIS: 8/23/2017

USCIS Approval Date: 8/21/2017

NOA2 issued date: 8/18/2017   NOA2 hardcopy received: 8/25/2017

Notice from USCIS Sent to NVC: 9/1/2017    NVC received: 9/8/2017

Received case and invoice numbers: 9/12/2017

Choice of Agent DS-261: 9/12/2017

Welcome Letter: 9/15/2017

Received and Paid AOS: 9/15/2017    AOS payment cleared my bank: 9/19/2017 (still shows In Process on CEAC)

Received and paid IV bill: 9/19/2017    IV bill cleared bank: 9/21/2017

Requested Expedite: 9/20/2017

AOS and IV show as paid: 9/23/2017

DS260 unlocked: 9/23/2017

Partial Expedite Approved at Counselor Level: 9/25/2017 (Must still wait out NVC)

Scan Date: 10/2/2017    Case Complete: 11/15/2017 (6 weeks 2 days!)

Case sent to consulate: 11/20/2017     Received by consulate: 11/21/2017 (11/20 was a holiday in Mexico)

Interview Scheduled: Jan 2nd - I managed to get someones canceled appointment the very same day my case status turned to Ready.

Biometrics: Mexico City Dec 27th Medical: Mexico City Dec 28th

Case says READY but consulate says case is not in system, I jumped the gun and booked an interview but they say its invalid until I receive the letter so I might have to cancel it.

Appointment Letter: Flew to Juarez just to get this, its actually 2 letters you need.

Interview Day: Jan 2nd   Interview Result: APPROVED

Tracking Number Received: Via email notice and website the afternoon of Jan 4th    Visa Delivered: Friday Jan 5th Mexico City

USCIS Notice - Green Card mailed: 3/28/18

6 hours ago, Hawksquill said:

If you can't afford a lawyer, you can see if there's a law school near you that has a legal clinic, which are often very affordable.  I'm not sure if these have gone remote or not, but it's worth a shot.  Because you are a victim of domestic violence, you can probably also find legal aid charities that will give you free or affordable legal assistance. 

I'm not a lawyer, but getting a PO box sounds like a good way to prevent him from getting your address, unless the form specifies that it needs to be a physical address or a residential address.  If it's asking for your SSN and you already have one, I wouldn't advise that you leave that info off the form.  He'll find out that you already got your SSN eventually, and assuming you are physically safe and you keep your card safe (consider getting a safe deposit box at a bank, or a safe for your home, perhaps?) there's not much he can do to take them away from you now.

And yes, document the threats!  And if you feel threatened or unsafe please get help. 

I am not afraid he is going to take my SSN card away from me, I am worried he might use it somehow to get me into trouble out of revenge.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
10 hours ago, marianava said:

You have to provide a physical address for service.

Using someone’s SS number 

10 hours ago, marianava said:

I am doing it myself and I have to put my address and SSN

Leave the SS number blank and file it

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

@marianava The guy seems like a nightmare and will do anything in his power to defamation of your character. It may be in your best interest to find a lawyer- Unsure what state you are in but as long as you aren't in the middle of no where I'm sure you will find someone that will take on your case for free or cheap. I would recommend using google and finding a university or a nonprofit that works with victims of domestic abuse. It truly sounds like he will lawyer up quick with of course someone shady and do all in his power to make himself look like the victim and you as the ungrateful - green card using immigrant. Good luck and please consider looking for pro bono help. They ARE out there! 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

The use of another persons SSN is punishable by law, fear nothing as you have been advised above.

Let him bear his heart and threats our ...But do save all that text!

File your divorce if that is the direction you still want to go.

You can also fill in every other detail i.e Name DOB, use c/o (You can use the address of a friend you trust just put c/c the persons names and address)  send it to him to fill his details and return it to you before you put in your SSN that is if he is being cooperative.

Dont bother trying to get him to pay for the divorce, seek only for his signature on the necessary forms...you need to get away from that sort of man fast! they can be very vengeful  

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

1 hour ago, Luckycuds said:

@marianava The guy seems like a nightmare and will do anything in his power to defamation of your character. It may be in your best interest to find a lawyer- Unsure what state you are in but as long as you aren't in the middle of no where I'm sure you will find someone that will take on your case for free or cheap. I would recommend using google and finding a university or a nonprofit that works with victims of domestic abuse. It truly sounds like he will lawyer up quick with of course someone shady and do all in his power to make himself look like the victim and you as the ungrateful - green card using immigrant. Good luck and please consider looking for pro bono help. They ARE out there! 

he wont do that, he has no money

1 hour ago, Sparkle Sparkle said:

The use of another persons SSN is punishable by law, fear nothing as you have been advised above.

Let him bear his heart and threats our ...But do save all that text!

File your divorce if that is the direction you still want to go.

You can also fill in every other detail i.e Name DOB, use c/o (You can use the address of a friend you trust just put c/c the persons names and address)  send it to him to fill his details and return it to you before you put in your SSN that is if he is being cooperative.

Dont bother trying to get him to pay for the divorce, seek only for his signature on the necessary forms...you need to get away from that sort of man fast! they can be very vengeful  

I'm not trying to get anything from him.

I printed out the forms and the SSN numbers are on the final judgment, so he will get that at the end with my ssn all over it. this is what I am trying to avoid, I will use my friends address.

In this day and age if a person is determined enough there is little that can be done to prevent a determined person from getting your SSN and or address especially if you are married to that person. All you can do is document document and hope for the best.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.