dragonmike

Need advice on K1/K3 or CR1?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

My case is complicated. Let me start from the beginning.  I am a US citizen and my fiance from Moscow and I applied for a K1 in Feb 2018, and we got the VISA in May 2019 at the embassy after several months of trying to get an interview date.  We arrived in the US together in October 2019, but due to my sudden 4 month work assignment in Germany in January 2020, we decided not to get married right away as we would be apart for too long while she adjusts her status. 

Now, we are trying to figure out what to do.  I was thinking that we could marry in Russia and then we can apply for a CR1 or K3.  The reason why this is an option is that my company has an office in Moscow and I can actually get a work VISA and establish temporary Russian residency.  I thought that perhaps I could qualify for DCF(direct consular filing) this way, but it is my understanding that the USCIS closed this permanently in March 2019.  If I officially reside in Moscow for more than 6 months, is there still a way to apply through the embassy directly if DCF services were shutdown, rather than the lockbox in Chicago or Phoenix? 

The other option is that we re-apply for the K1.   It will be weird as we already applied and were accepted and she was in the US for 80 days.  It would be nice to somehow fasttrack a second application, after already having a previously approved K1.  I assume the answer is no, but I will ask- is that possible?   Is there any way to apply in Moscow if I establish my 6 month residency?

My next question can influence whether to go for the K1 or CR1.  Once in the US, is there a difference in how long it takes for my wife to get status to start working?  If we get a CR1 or K3, can my wife get a greencard more quickly thank K1?  What about DCF?  We are thinking that even if a process takes longer while in Russia, it might be better to minimize how long she's waiting to be able to work once we arrive in the US.

To us, it doesn't really matter whether we marry in the US or Russia, but we are trying to weigh the pros and cons.  Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Your case isn’t complicated at all... you just need to decide which process you want to go by k1 or CR1.

both have advantages disadvantages but if her working in the US is a priority I’d go CR1 as she can work pretty much straight away on arrival where K1 would require you to get married then adjust and seek work authorisation a process that could see her staying home without work for 6 months or more. 

Unfortunately no way of speeding up a new k1 application... either way, be prepaid to explain why y’all didn’t marry first time round... note.. k3 is pretty much nul and void these days and is very rarely issued..

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Duke & Marie said:

Your case isn’t complicated at all... you just need to decide which process you want to go by k1 or CR1.

both have advantages disadvantages but if her working in the US is a priority I’d go CR1 as she can work pretty much straight away on arrival where K1 would require you to get married then adjust and seek work authorisation a process that could see her staying home without work for 6 months or more. 

Unfortunately no way of speeding up a new k1 application... either way, be prepaid to explain why y’all didn’t marry first time round... 

Thanks.

I hope there won't be an issue explaining why we didn't marry the first time.  The good news is that we're still together and she's not a new fiance ;).  

I think CR1 might be the way to go.  Is there a way to do the traditional DCF task at the US embassy in Moscow, or does it have to be via the lockerbox?

I know covid19 has royally messed up timelines, but in general, is the processing time (prior to US arrival) longer for CR1 vs K1 or about the same?

Edited by dragonmike
typo

3 hours ago, dragonmike said:

Thanks.

I hope there won't be an issue explaining why we didn't marry the first time.  The good news is that we're still together and she's not a new fiance ;).  

I think CR1 might be the way to go.  Is there a way to do the traditional DCF task at the US embassy in Moscow, or does it have to be via the lockerbox?

I know covid19 has royally messed up timelines, but in general, is the processing time (prior to US arrival) longer for CR1 vs K1 or about the same?

I believe Moscow closed its USCIS office last year.. 

You can file i130 online these days

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

CR1 is longer to visa, shorter to green card generally. 

Normally takes 12-24 months depending on the embassy or consulate backlog. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline
On 5/12/2020 at 6:38 AM, NikLR said:

CR1 is longer to visa, shorter to green card generally. 

Normally takes 12-24 months depending on the embassy or consulate backlog. 

Thanks everyone :)

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 5/11/2020 at 7:18 PM, Duke & Marie said:

Unfortunately no way of speeding up a new k1 application... either way, be prepaid to explain why y’all didn’t marry first time round... note.. k3 is pretty much nul and void these days and is very rarely issued..

Hi,

We decided to do a new K1 instead of K3/CR-1 based on timelines.

My fiance is paranoid about being rejected because we didn't marry the first time. I personally feel like it was completely justified and the fact that we were already approved once should only decrease any doubt that we're dedicated to our relationship! :)  I will write a paragraph like this in the "our story" part.  This is just a first draft.  Let me know if you see any problems:

Draft:

"We were already approved for a K1 in May 2019 (We interviewed together at the US Embassy in Moscow on April 30, 2019 – MOS2018xxxxxx). We entered the US together in October, 2019, but due to a sudden once-in-a-lifetime career opportunity, my employer sent me to Germany for an important 4 month assignment (January to April 2020), which could have been potentially extended, depending on the first 4 months. Because the adjustment of status would require my fiance to remain in the US for such a long time without me, and due to the uncertainty of how long I would be in Germany, we decided to wait to marry and either marry in Russia and apply for a CR-1 or reapply for another K1. This also gave my fiance the chance to meet my sister and my parents for the first time."

I could include my work VISA for Germany, or supporting documentation letter used to apply for it.  Do you think I should?

Thanks!

Mike

Timeline
35 minutes ago, NikLR said:

is your work relocating you again to the USA?

Correct.  I was never officially relocated to Germany in the first place.  It was a temporary assignment overseas - could've been anywhere from 4 months up to 12 months. It ended up being 4 months because of covid.  My work VISA was 4 months though.  My fiance didn't want to be alone without me for an extended period of time in a country that is foreign to her, while we were waiting for her adjustment of status.  It would've been too much of a hassle and we felt we could be together in Germany and then Russia and then return to the US.

1 hour ago, dragonmike said:

Correct.  I was never officially relocated to Germany in the first place.  It was a temporary assignment overseas - could've been anywhere from 4 months up to 12 months. It ended up being 4 months because of covid.  My work VISA was 4 months though.  My fiance didn't want to be alone without me for an extended period of time in a country that is foreign to her, while we were waiting for her adjustment of status.  It would've been too much of a hassle and we felt we could be together in Germany and then Russia and then return to the US.

If you have a job assignment in  the USA, then marriage and applying for DCF for extenuating circumstances may apply. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
2 hours ago, NikLR said:

If you have a job assignment in  the USA, then marriage and applying for DCF for extenuating circumstances may apply. 

That sounds interesting ;)   Can you please elaborate?  I was under the impression that DCF would apply if I'm overseas (which I am not anymore).  Plus, DCF closed in Moscow in 2019.  If  it was still open, I would have considered getting a work VISA to work from my company's Moscow office.  I was unable to get an extension to my VISA in Germany due to covid-19.

1 hour ago, dragonmike said:

That sounds interesting ;)   Can you please elaborate?  I was under the impression that DCF would apply if I'm overseas (which I am not anymore).  Plus, DCF closed in Moscow in 2019.  If  it was still open, I would have considered getting a work VISA to work from my company's Moscow office.  I was unable to get an extension to my VISA in Germany due to covid-19.

OH if you're already returned to the USA then no.  

Timeline
On 5/31/2020 at 10:53 AM, dragonmike said:

Hi,

We decided to do a new K1 instead of K3/CR-1 based on timelines.

My fiance is paranoid about being rejected because we didn't marry the first time. I personally feel like it was completely justified and the fact that we were already approved once should only decrease any doubt that we're dedicated to our relationship! :)  I will write a paragraph like this in the "our story" part.  This is just a first draft.  Let me know if you see any problems:

Draft:

"We were already approved for a K1 in May 2019 (We interviewed together at the US Embassy in Moscow on April 30, 2019 – MOS2018xxxxxx). We entered the US together in October, 2019, but due to a sudden once-in-a-lifetime career opportunity, my employer sent me to Germany for an important 4 month assignment (January to April 2020), which could have been potentially extended, depending on the first 4 months. Because the adjustment of status would require my fiance to remain in the US for such a long time without me, and due to the uncertainty of how long I would be in Germany, we decided to wait to marry and either marry in Russia and apply for a CR-1 or reapply for another K1. This also gave my fiance the chance to meet my sister and my parents for the first time."

I could include my work VISA for Germany, or supporting documentation letter used to apply for it.  Do you think I should?

Thanks!

Mike

Ok, now I'm freaking out.

After reading this - https://myimmigrationattorney.com/k1-visa/reapplying-for-a-k-1-visa/

it states "If you do not get married within the 90-day period permitted by your fiancée visa, your fiancée must leave the US, and can only reenter the country if you begin the process again, petitioning for a new K-1 visa. The same requirements apply to fiancée visas that are denied.
According to the Immigration Marriage Brokers Act of 2005, a US citizen can only petition for two K1 visas. If the first marriage fails or never occurs, the American petitioner must wait two years to apply for a new K-1 visa, even if it is on behalf of the same person."

So, we were already approved for the K1.  We just want to re-apply.  According to this, we'd have to wait 2 years? 2 years from what date? I mean, we applied Feb 2018, so since it is Jun 2020, we're good?  or, 2 years from the date of entry to the US (Oct 2019) or actually aquiring the VISA (May 2019)?

Given my unique circumstances that were work-related, this is unfair to penalize us for this.  What should I do?  We waited forever for this thing :(

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.