Alondino

Once in America...

7 posts in this topic

So I am married now to my husband from Dominican republic. He is still there amidst this corona virus. He doesn't speak much English and that is the only thing I am nervous about for when he comes here. Hes learning but what are some jobs that are best for Spanish speakers in the us? Where English can be learned or not spoken much. What have some of your husbands/wives from other countries found best for jobs/income? All suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and YOur New life, from Bringing Family of USC~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

18 minutes ago, Alondino said:

So I am married now to my husband from Dominican republic. He is still there amidst this corona virus. He doesn't speak much English and that is the only thing I am nervous about for when he comes here. Hes learning but what are some jobs that are best for Spanish speakers in the us? Where English can be learned or not spoken much. What have some of your husbands/wives from other countries found best for jobs/income? All suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance!

My wife knew a little English when she arrive. Not much at all. She started a school where she went to class twice a week in the evenings. Her first job was in a Spanish restaurant. It was in a part of town where the population was mostly Latin.

Because of the language, you husband will be extremely limited on employment. He may only be able to find jobs where little to no interaction with customers. Or he will need to find something in an area where the population is Spanish speaking. But the first thing he should do is learn English and use it as much as possible. The teacher at the school my wife went to told everyone that they had to stop watching Spanish speaking shows if they want to learn faster. Obviously that was difficult for my wife but she managed. She can speak good English now and she has a good job working for the county. 

It may take some time before he finds a job of significant income but every little bit helps. You already know that in America they want work experience also so he will need to build that up. But his number one resource will be networking. Even before the Covid19 my wife got calls from other Dominicans or Latinas asking if she wants to work somewhere. Help your husband find other Latinas in your area so he can build a network and he will be able to find good jobs soon after. Fortunately, Texas has a large Spanish speaking population.

But there is a huge caveat to all of this. As of now there is almost no employment opportunities. Unemployment is about to reach the highest it has ever been in the history of the US. Your husband will be at a huge disadvantage looking for employment now and the recent future. Even when the country opens back up, there will be millions of Americans seeking to return to work. That will make your husband's competition 10 fold. So be aware of this and be sure he understands this. He will not be able to even apply for unemployment because he has never worked in the US. It will be a trying time for all.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

the best thing he can do now while waiting is to study english, there are a ton of free videos on youtube and there are sites that can help him for free. he would most likely end up starting as something like a cook or dishwasher or janitor or something if he starts right away with little english

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Filed: IR-5 Timeline
5 hours ago, Alondino said:

He should go to schools and learn English while he is waiting for the visa. If possible, he should work in a tourist area where he can practice and speak English 

04/21/20: IR-5 Submitted Online 

04/21/20: NOA1 Issued online

04/27/20: NOA1 Received via postal mail from Texas Service Center

04/27/20: Touched

04/28/20: Case Transferred to California Service Center

05/14/20: Touched 

05/15/20: Touched 

07/01/20: Touched

07/06/20: Touched 

07/06/20: RFE Issued (not available online)

07/16/20: RFE Received in Mail

07/20/20: DNA Done in USA

08/09/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted Online

08/26/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted via mail

09/01/20: Touched

10/28/21: DNA test results Received by USCIS

11/12/21: NOA2

6 hours ago, Alondino said:

As others have said practice english.   Before my Filipina wife moved here we lived in a tourist town in Mexico with a lot of expats.  Not knowing much spanish she picked up her english skills quite a bit. She was "adopted" by a bunch of expat ladies that liked to shop, dine and talk!   Boy that was an expensive lesson but very helpful.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you haven't yet filed a petition for a spousal visa, your husband has a year or more to learn English before the visa gets approved, that's plenty of time.  Duolingo, online English teachers, Youtube videos, I suggest that he spend a couple of hours a day and his English will be much better in a year, if he works hard he will be ready for lots of jobs on arrival.  Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.