Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Visa option to fill gap until next H1B application period

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum so excuse me if someone asked this before. 

I am from Germany and my boyfriend is a U.S citizen born and raised there. We met in 2017 when I lived over there for 2 years for my studies and academic training program. I then returned twice (February 2019 & October 2019) on a WVP for my bachelor thesis and after my studies while I was searching for a job. The first time I stayed 60 days, the second time 90 days. I am back in Germany since mid January 2020. 

I am currently self-employed and work as a freelancer consulting an organization which is currently trying to register in the U.S.. I work remotely, pay my taxes in Germany and have my home domicile here.

For us a marriage visa is not an option yet but I would like to come back to the US for as long as possible before we take that step. I still have a valid WVP until December 2020 but would like to apply for a B1/2 visa to be able to stay 6 months instead of only 3. Now the problem is that the company I consult (and get paid but am not employed by) wants to register in the US and to my knowledge you are not allowed to apply for a B1/2 visa if you "get payment from a US company". Does this also hold if I am not employed by the company but just consulting them as a freelancer while being self-employed and paying taxes in Germany? The organization has not yet gone through the whole registration process so technically they are not a US organization yet. Should I hurry up applying or would I have to change that information anyways once they finish the US registrations (it usually takes a couple months to half a year to register an organization in the US).


And more general: should I even apply for a B1/2 visa during the pandemic or would I risk being denied? In that case, what would happen to my WVP? Would it still be valid after a B1/2 denial? And does a denial jeopardize any future visa applications (e.g. H1B or K1, IR-1...)


Are there any other option we have that I might have not looked at yet..? We are getting desperate because we want to be together but are just not ready yet to take the next step and marry.


I highly appreciate any thoughts, ideas and comments. I researched visa options so much these past years that I now reached a boundary where I just don't know what to do anymore without getting married...

Thank you in advance for replying!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal

Usually B1/B2 applications from VWP eligible countries are scrutinized a bit more and are more susceptible to being denied regardless of your specific consulting services. On too of that your providing consulting services to a company if registered in the US will complicate more for sure. So I recommend keep using VWP and not apply for B1/B2. 

If you do apply for it and get denied, your existing ESTA becomes invalid as well, so you have to apply for new ESTA during which you have to mention your B1/B2 denial which may affect ESTA decision. See the ripple effect it may cause.


Yours B1/B2 denial may affect your future non immigrant visas like even H1B but not the immigrant visas if you intend to immigrate to the US in the future.


2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US






2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jennifer121 said:

should I even apply for a B1/2 visa during the pandemic or would I risk being denied

You can’t now anyway, all routine visa services are currently suspended. 

Be very careful about working remotely from the US even for a foreign company paid offshore. A friend of mine (on a derivative visa unable to work in the US) did that and was advised by their immigration lawyer that doing so counts as working in the US and is a violation of the visa, by extension it would be too for any other non-employment authorized status such as VWP or B visa. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Timeline

A visitor’s visa is not for temporarily living in the US while working and getting paid remotely. 

“A “visitor” visa is a nonimmigrant visa and generally is used to enter the United States temporarily for business (B-1), for pleasure or medical treatment (B-2), or a combination of these purposes (B-1/B-2).”

Visitor’s Visa as defined by US DOS

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...