David & Paulyn

Spousal Visa with Adopted Child - Any Advice?

32 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Not the easiest time to start a business in Denver, anyway you only have one option. Presumably the plan is that by the time they are interviewing your US business will be enough to sponsor them.

I’m an iOS/Android developer specializing in online delivery platforms. I’ll continue working with my existing clients, but the main difference is it will be under a local LLC. 

1 hour ago, Unlockable said:

Your daughter has a path to citizenship but it is not immediate. And it will not be before she turns 18. It is good you found this site so you can learn me and reevaluate your plan.

Like already advised, you can file for I-130 for them now. The timeline will take roughly a year or so.

As for adoption, your daughter has to be under 18, a permanent resident, AND living in the US for her to qualify. https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-h-chapter-4

The problem is that time is not on your side. Your daughter may very well be 18 when she gets her visa... and I emphasized the word may. Remember that this Covid-19 has thrown a wrench in everything and it may slow things down even further. But don't let that deter you. She (and your spouse) will still become citizens eventually if she doesn't make it.

And to confirm what was already mentioned.

You can't do a K1 as you are already married.

K3 is not viable. They rarely, rarely approve K3's anymore.

Also, have you filed your taxes while you were in the PHL?

What about this? Filing DCF under exceptional circumstances - https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-6-part-b-chapter-3

Yes, taxes all up to date.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
7 minutes ago, David & Paulyn said:

What about this? Filing DCF under exceptional circumstances - https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-6-part-b-chapter-3

Yes, taxes all up to date.

Certainly an option if you have exceptional circumstances.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Certainly an option if you have exceptional circumstances.

Could my daughter's age (close to aging out) coupled with the natural disaster of COVID be considered an exceptional circumstance?

Timeline
31 minutes ago, David & Paulyn said:

Could my daughter's age (close to aging out) coupled with the natural disaster of COVID be considered an exceptional circumstance?

How are you impacted by COVID?

Daughter is 16 so I doubt timing will be an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

How are you impacted by COVID?

Daughter is 16 so I doubt timing will be an issue.

We received the Certificate of Finality of Adoption on March 15. Our very next step was to submit the Certified True Copy of the Decree to the Local Civil Registry. They then have 30 days to issue a new birth certificate with my last name. Once we have that, we can apply for her travel document. 

We live in Bulacan, an area under Enhanced Community Quarantine. All government offices have been closed since March 16. It is expected that the quarantine will be lifted by May 15. That puts the birth certificates at June 15ish, then another 30 days to receive her travel document, which is a requirement for the I-130. So, we cannot really file the I-130 until August, at best. Isn't that severely cutting it close, especially with the anticipated backlog?

40 minutes ago, David & Paulyn said:

I would say that it can be an option. I would definitely try it.

But I wouldn't bank everything on it being successful.

Your daughter is not close to aging out as of today. So that is a hard argument to make. I know that it sounds like a catch-22 but this is immigration.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
11 minutes ago, David & Paulyn said:

We received the Certificate of Finality of Adoption on March 15. Our very next step was to submit the Certified True Copy of the Decree to the Local Civil Registry. They then have 30 days to issue a new birth certificate with my last name. Once we have that, we can apply for her travel document. 

We live in Bulacan, an area under Enhanced Community Quarantine. All government offices have been closed since March 16. It is expected that the quarantine will be lifted by May 15. That puts the birth certificates at June 15ish, then another 30 days to receive her travel document, which is a requirement for the I-130. So, we cannot really file the I-130 until August, at best. Isn't that severely cutting it close, especially with the anticipated backlog?

She can immigrate on the basis of being your step child, not sure how many people go through the adoption process, but seems unusual. I do not see why you can not apply now.

Bulacan sounds a bit like Denver.

14 minutes ago, Boiler said:

She can immigrate on the basis of being your step child, not sure how many people go through the adoption process, but seems unusual. I do not see why you can not apply now.

Bulacan sounds a bit like Denver.

I'm sending an email tomorrow to the Embassy to see what they say. Hopefully we can qualify for DCF.

How long have you lived in Colorado? Do you like living in Denver?

Timeline

I have been in Colorado 17? years, have lived on the Front Range but not for a long time, up in the Mountains an hour or so from Denver.

9 hours ago, Boiler said:

I have been in Colorado 17? years, have lived on the Front Range but not for a long time, up in the Mountains an hour or so from Denver.

Sounds nice, except maybe on weekends when all the Denverites show up. I've been away from the US since 2006 and it's time to get back. Excited to return, sad about leaving my wife and kid for a year while we go through this process.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K3 Process & Procedures to IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline
1 hour ago, David & Paulyn said:

Sounds nice, except maybe on weekends when all the Denverites show up. I've been away from the US since 2006 and it's time to get back. Excited to return, sad about leaving my wife and kid for a year while we go through this process.

Jared Polis keeps then within 10 miles of home.

Just now, Boiler said:

Jared Polis keeps then within 10 miles of home.

Any idea when things are expected to normalize?

Timeline
1 minute ago, David & Paulyn said:

Any idea when things are expected to normalize?

County offices currently work on appointment, called them and the only time they had was 2pm, so said what is the time now, 1.50, 9 miles and made it.

They go to normal operation Monday, but masks and 6ft apart, my County Town cancelled its summer programme today, so next year?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.