Amelmahbub07

Stuck in a Citizenship question

11 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Hi vj people. I need some help. I am filing n-400 2nd time for my relative. He didn’t pass first time in his both chances. As it is now his 2nd application what box should i tick for question 1, part 12 ( question is have you ever claimed to be a us citizen). I wanted to tick yes as he applied once and it’s his second time. But some places it’s written that Any yes answer of any questions of that part cause the application refused. Please help me if anyone experienced with this issue. Thank you

Applying to be a citizen is not at all the same thing as claiming to be a citizen. The answer is no. Why isn’t he filling in his own form out of interest? Why he fail the first time?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

No.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 5/1/2020 at 6:06 AM, Amelmahbub07 said:

Hi vj people. I need some help. I am filing n-400 2nd time for my relative. He didn’t pass first time in his both chances. As it is now his 2nd application what box should i tick for question 1, part 12 ( question is have you ever claimed to be a us citizen). I wanted to tick yes as he applied once and it’s his second time. But some places it’s written that Any yes answer of any questions of that part cause the application refused. Please help me if anyone experienced with this issue. Thank you

A non citizen of the United States of America cannot claim (represent himself) to be a citizen.  This is a big mistake that can make him ineligible to stay in the US. The same as voting in elections while not being a citizen.    Applying to become a citizen is not the same thing as claiming to be one.  Check the box ‘no’ 

--/--/---- -

05/13/2019 - N400 online submission

Timeline
On 5/1/2020 at 6:33 AM, SusieQQQ said:

Applying to be a citizen is not at all the same thing as claiming to be a citizen. The answer is no. Why isn’t he filling in his own form out of interest? Why he fail the first time?

He don’t know how to file. He didn’t understand some questions interviewer asked. So he failed English understanding part.

2 hours ago, Amelmahbub07 said:

He don’t know how to file. He didn’t understand some questions interviewer asked. So he failed English understanding part.

I’m a little concerned that his not filing himself is also in part due to limited English, and if there is an error on your part filling in an answer (an example like this one where you also misunderstood what was being asked, and this is a very serious question to get wrong) he will not be able to speak enough English to be able to explain the mistake to the interviewer. What has he done to improve his English since his last test?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
15 hours ago, Amelmahbub07 said:

Kind of you to do this for a friend but for his sake, consider reaching out to the many community-based, or legal aid, organizations to help with this application. They are found all over the US and provide free citizenship services (applications, test preparation, language tutoring, etc.). Any google search in your area will list them.

There's no shame in not speaking or understanding English well but life gets more difficult with those limitations. Not to mention the added costs of reapplying and lost economic opportunities (better jobs, etc..)

Good luck.

Timeline
On 5/2/2020 at 11:26 PM, SusieQQQ said:

I’m a little concerned that his not filing himself is also in part due to limited English, and if there is an error on your part filling in an answer (an example like this one where you also misunderstood what was being asked, and this is a very serious question to get wrong) he will not be able to speak enough English to be able to explain the mistake to the interviewer. What has he done to improve his English since his last test?

Yeah I totally understood. He is practicing his application form, getting help from youtube and online to improve his English. He is also going to citizenship test preparation classes. Hope he will get through this time

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.