USAUAinCZ

Question about RFE

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I got the dreaded RFE. This is what they say on mine.

SUBMIT MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE Submit a photocopy of the original marriage certificate for the marriage of [me] and [my wife]. The marriage certificate must be issued by an appropriate civil authority. In order for the marriage to be considered valid for immigration purposes, it must have been legally valid in the location where the marriage took place. The document must include the date of registration and signature of the registrar.

I want to make sure I know what to send here. I originally sent a certified copy of my marriage certificate from the government and they sent it back a few weeks after I applied saying they no longer needed it.

So now they are asking for a photocopy of the original marriage certificate? I don't need to ask the government for another copy, I can just photocopy the original one and send it to them? I luckily have it with me so it's not a problem. 

I just don't want to mess this up.

1 hour ago, USAUAinCZ said:

Hey everyone,

I got the dreaded RFE. This is what they say on mine.

SUBMIT MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE Submit a photocopy of the original marriage certificate for the marriage of [me] and [my wife]. The marriage certificate must be issued by an appropriate civil authority. In order for the marriage to be considered valid for immigration purposes, it must have been legally valid in the location where the marriage took place. The document must include the date of registration and signature of the registrar.

I want to make sure I know what to send here. I originally sent a certified copy of my marriage certificate from the government and they sent it back a few weeks after I applied saying they no longer needed it.

So now they are asking for a photocopy of the original marriage certificate? I don't need to ask the government for another copy, I can just photocopy the original one and send it to them? I luckily have it with me so it's not a problem. 

I just don't want to mess this up.

Really makes no sense why they sent your MC back, as it is absolutely needed for marriage-based visas.....

What exactly did you send them? Where did you marry?

Assuming you married in Ukraine (based on your profile), the MC must meet these requirements: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Ukraine.html

Marriage

Available

Fees: < USD 1 for original issuance; < USD 1 for re-issuance

Document Name: Svidotstvo pro shlyub

Issuing Authority: District or regional State registration of civil status offices

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: All kinds of marriage certificates issued on the territory of current Ukraine are accepted.  All of them bear a wet seal and a signature of the executive officer of the issuing authority

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: Department Head of the State registration of civil status office

Registration Criteria: Defined by Family Code of Ukraine

Procedure for Obtaining: Issued to the married couple on the day of the civil marriage registration. The procedure of obtaining a re-issued document is the same as for the birth certificate.  Re-issuance of the marriage certificate is not possible if the marriage has been terminated. In such case, the extract from the state registry can confirm the dates of marriage and divorce and the surnames prior to marriage registration and after divorce.

Certified Copies: Certified copies are not available

Alternate Documents: Extract from the State registry of civil status of citizens about the marriage to confirm the premarital surnames (in case the marriage has been terminated)

Exceptions: None

Comments: According to the Family Code of Ukraine, religious marriage ceremonies are not recognized as a legal marriage.  A marriage is only considered legal after its registration with the civil registry office and it is only legal from the date it is registered in the registry office.

Same-sex marriages are not possible in Ukraine. According to Article 21 of Ukrainian Family code, marriage is defined as a registered union between male and female partners.

Take special note of the document name, issuing authority, and procedure for obtaining.

I would note is says "certified copies are not available", so I'm not sure how exactly you sent one originally...?

If you married in another country, use the links on the website above to find the marriage document information for that country.

If you did send exactly what was requested above, then it was probably a mistake to return it.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I could be totally wrong here, but maybe they sent you back the certified copy because it was not a "photocopy" and they merely want a photocopy and not an "original" certified copy from the government?

Were any translations involved? Was the original you sent in accompanied by a translation?

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I agree with @millefleur

Follow the instructions literally... Make legible copies of your MC front and back and send to them

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
8 hours ago, millefleur said:

I could be totally wrong here, but maybe they sent you back the certified copy because it was not a "photocopy" and they merely want a photocopy and not an "original" certified copy from the government?

Were any translations involved? Was the original you sent in accompanied by a translation?

Hi, 

I originally sent the marriage certificate that I made a copy of and had notarized in Ukraine. We got married in Ukraine. I also provided a translation from a certified translator who specified that she is capable of doing the translation along with a seal. 

I'm not sure why they sent me back the Marriage Certificate and now are saying they never received it when I have the letter here with me from USCIS. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, USAUAinCZ said:

I originally sent the marriage certificate that I made a copy of and had notarized in Ukraine.

Send a photocopy of your original marriage certificate, no need for getting the photocopy notarized.  If you got a photocopy notarized and sent it that may be your problem as it is not what they specify as acceptable.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.