S*UK

Green Card Extension letter and renewing DL

23 posts in this topic

It's my understanding that a Notice of Action that grants an extension to an already-granted green card is different to a Notice of Action that confirms you've applied for your first green card, and so it should be accepted by DMV, SSA, etc. The NOA you get when you first apply specifically says it does not grant any kind of immigration status if I remember rightly. I imagine an extension NOA does not have this disclaimer.

Edited by yoda one for me

1 minute ago, S*UK said:

Please read my original post where I clearly said I had tried and failed with a notice of action. 

That is why I suggested quoting their own website to them.  Many of us have met uninformed bureaucrats at one point, or another.  Usually, bringing documentation of what is required, or asking for supervisor.  Other options are to file a complaint, escalate to your state representative, etc. Best of luck.  

1 minute ago, yoda one for me said:

It's my understanding that a Notice of Action that grants an extension to an already-granted green card is different to a Notice of Action that confirms you've applied for your first green card, and so it should be accepted by DMV, SSA, etc. The NOA you get when you first apply specifically says it does not grant any kind of immigration status if I remember rightly. I imagine an extension NOA does not have this disclaimer.

That would be awesome... my main concern here was that they just wouldn’t accept my NOA since they wouldn’t last time. I had a terrible experience and just don’t want to go through it again. I literally cried at the DMV last time after they were so rude to me. 

K1 Visa

Spoiler

Met: January 2014
Filed K1: April 2017
I-129F received: 4/10/17
I-129F NOA1: 4/13/17
I-129F NOA2: 8/19/17

NVC received our case: 9/01/17

NVC assigned a case number: 9/01/17

Case Ready: 9/08/17

Visa Medical: 9/21/17

Visa Interview - Approved: 10/17/17

P.O.E: 11/20/17

AOS

Spoiler

Filed AOS,AP,EAD: 02/16/18

Case received: 02/21/18

Case NOA1: 02/26/18

RFIE: 03/14/18 (birth cert translation Eng:Eng) 

Interview: 06/25/2018

Green card issued: 07/11/2018

EAD/AP received: 07/16/2018

Green Card received: 07/18/2018

ROC

Packet mailed: 04/14/20

Packet received/NOA date: 04/17/20
NOA and extension received: never received 

Non-delivery notice sent: 5/17/20

NOA re-mailed: 5/19/20

2nd NOA received: 5/23/20

1 minute ago, S*UK said:

That would be awesome... my main concern here was that they just wouldn’t accept my NOA since they wouldn’t last time. I had a terrible experience and just don’t want to go through it again. I literally cried at the DMV last time after they were so rude to me. 

First visit to the DMV got me fuming so bad, I was ready to move back to Canada...

Before getting your Permanent residency, you were "Adjusting status"; now, you are a permanent resident, even during the ROC, you do not lose your status.  Even if your ROC was denied (not going to happen!), you are still a permanent resident until a judge says it's over OR you abandon your permanent residency.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

We live in Mecklenburg County and my husband had no trouble getting his license renewed with the extension letter. I know that is not close to you, but as someone else suggested maybe try a different county.

5 hours ago, Beaniebob said:

We live in Mecklenburg County and my husband had no trouble getting his license renewed with the extension letter. I know that is not close to you, but as someone else suggested maybe try a different county.

Thanks... I will drive to Charlotte if that's what it takes haha. That makes me feel better. Fingers crossed. 

K1 Visa

Spoiler

Met: January 2014
Filed K1: April 2017
I-129F received: 4/10/17
I-129F NOA1: 4/13/17
I-129F NOA2: 8/19/17

NVC received our case: 9/01/17

NVC assigned a case number: 9/01/17

Case Ready: 9/08/17

Visa Medical: 9/21/17

Visa Interview - Approved: 10/17/17

P.O.E: 11/20/17

AOS

Spoiler

Filed AOS,AP,EAD: 02/16/18

Case received: 02/21/18

Case NOA1: 02/26/18

RFIE: 03/14/18 (birth cert translation Eng:Eng) 

Interview: 06/25/2018

Green card issued: 07/11/2018

EAD/AP received: 07/16/2018

Green Card received: 07/18/2018

ROC

Packet mailed: 04/14/20

Packet received/NOA date: 04/17/20
NOA and extension received: never received 

Non-delivery notice sent: 5/17/20

NOA re-mailed: 5/19/20

2nd NOA received: 5/23/20

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

I had the same problem here in AR, ask in the DMV for an online verification on your status. Here in arkansas is called S.A.V.E (Electronic Immigration Status Verification), make sure to take your green card, marriage certificate, passport, drivers license, and some bills just in case. They will scan your documents and send them, they will give you a case number that you can be checking online (It took 3 days for me), then you can go to the DMV, and they shouldn't  have no issues. Go to big cities to the DMVs, and at the worst case scenario you can make an info pass so they can seal your passport (When USCIS opens again). 

Ah! I almost forgot try to renew DL as soon as possible! 

Good luck! I know the DMV doesn't make it easy on us so try different ones! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.