stephanie918

travel from Australia to US

107 posts in this topic

has anyone recently applied to DFAT (and succeeded) in getting a travel exemption during this travel ban to get to the US?  We have applied last week, but not sure when we should expect to hear back and what our chances are...We have to get there by July 10 or the visa expires.

Not sure what that is, but even if you could get it, are there even flights?  Those are some expensive airplanes to run, and I doubt they would fly empty planes back and forth.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
18 hours ago, stephanie918 said:

has anyone recently applied to DFAT (and succeeded) in getting a travel exemption during this travel ban to get to the US?  We have applied last week, but not sure when we should expect to hear back and what our chances are...We have to get there by July 10 or the visa expires.

For Australians, Border Force issues the exemptions since they are the ones monitoring the borders at the airport. I think there is a form on the Home Affairs website that you need to submit. It says in the Border Force website that exemptions should be applied for at least 12 hours before departure. You should try that instead of DFAT. Good luck!

7 hours ago, ECCK said:

For Australians, Border Force issues the exemptions since they are the ones monitoring the borders at the airport. I think there is a form on the Home Affairs website that you need to submit. It says in the Border Force website that exemptions should be applied for at least 12 hours before departure. You should try that instead of DFAT. Good luck!

thank you, I did apply on that :) fingers crossed we hear back soon.  and that our scheduled flight in June does actually depart!

22 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Not sure what that is, but even if you could get it, are there even flights?  Those are some expensive airplanes to run, and I doubt they would fly empty planes back and forth.

there are a few flights, and right now we are scheduled for June, which is when Virgin and Qantas are SUPPOSED to be up flying again.  not sure what will happen, but I guess we have to be ready to take what we can get and hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

We have an waiver request in for my fiancé's flight on Monday... United is still doing some flights but I need to call them and confirm the details of his flight bc it's been changed a couple of times already. 

This is our third attempt at a waiver.  The first time we tried, they said they needed more information but they didn't say what we needed.  Then my dad passed suddenly so we included that information on our request and they responded with a request for "proof of relationship" and a copy of the death certificate.  That was probably two weeks ago and we haven't heard back yet.  Unfortunately, I haven't heard of anyone else receiving approval yet so I'm starting to lose hope.  His visa doesn't expire until Sept but it still has me on edge.

Timeline

Sorry to hear that you keep getting rejected. I actually know of two people who got their waivers. One person got it within an hour and they’re leaving today for the US. The other person got their waiver for a flight in June. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, ECCK said:

Sorry to hear that you keep getting rejected. I actually know of two people who got their waivers. One person got it within an hour and they’re leaving today for the US. The other person got their waiver for a flight in June. 

He's on the phone with them right now... *fingers crossed*

On 4/24/2020 at 1:11 AM, callieallie87 said:

We have an waiver request in for my fiancé's flight on Monday... United is still doing some flights but I need to call them and confirm the details of his flight bc it's been changed a couple of times already. 

This is our third attempt at a waiver.  The first time we tried, they said they needed more information but they didn't say what we needed.  Then my dad passed suddenly so we included that information on our request and they responded with a request for "proof of relationship" and a copy of the death certificate.  That was probably two weeks ago and we haven't heard back yet.  Unfortunately, I haven't heard of anyone else receiving approval yet so I'm starting to lose hope.  His visa doesn't expire until Sept but it still has me on edge.

oh no! I'm sorry to hear of his passing.  It is frustrating as they don't give a timeframe for reply.  so his flight is tomorrow and you haven't heard? I also got a request for more info, but they did tell me (or suggested) so I've put that in, but that was a month ago now- and nothing.  I did call to try to get a time frame and they said they're busy processing those that are travelling now (vs us in June).  but if you haven't heard, then are they honestly waiting until the day of???  that's not enough time to get everything organized! let me know if you hear back, good luck, everything crossed for you

On 4/24/2020 at 8:06 AM, ECCK said:

interesting that they've approved june- we have yet to hear about ours in June.  do you know when in June?  were the successful waivers based on the US visa issuance? sometimes I wonder if that's "enough".  Nevertheless, great those people got approved. when did the one who got it approved within an hour apply?  

On 4/24/2020 at 1:02 PM, callieallie87 said:

He's on the phone with them right now... *fingers crossed*

how did it go? I hope he got it! 

Timeline
14 hours ago, stephanie918 said:

interesting that they've approved june- we have yet to hear about ours in June.  do you know when in June?  were the successful waivers based on the US visa issuance? sometimes I wonder if that's "enough".  Nevertheless, great those people got approved. when did the one who got it approved within an hour apply?  

how did it go? I hope he got it! 

Yeah, the one in June I’m sure got it based on their K1 visa. They said they where immigrating there with no plans to return to Australia in the short term. They applied for early June but they haven’t bought their ticket yet. I think if others are getting their waivers, you’ll definitely get yours too! 

The other person applied last week for a flight leaving in the same week. 

10 minutes ago, ECCK said:

Yeah, the one in June I’m sure got it based on their K1 visa. They said they where immigrating there with no plans to return to Australia in the short term. They applied for early June but they haven’t bought their ticket yet. I think if others are getting their waivers, you’ll definitely get yours too! 

The other person applied last week for a flight leaving in the same week. 

thanks for letting me know! it's been a month now since I've applied (IR-1 visa) so I was hopeful applying that far out would warrant a reply sooner rather than later! fingers crossed

Timeline
3 minutes ago, stephanie918 said:

thanks for letting me know! it's been a month now since I've applied (IR-1 visa) so I was hopeful applying that far out would warrant a reply sooner rather than later! fingers crossed

I reckon you should reapply. Maybe they’ve somehow missed your request. A month is way too long! 

9 minutes ago, ECCK said:

I reckon you should reapply. Maybe they’ve somehow missed your request. A month is way too long! 

i'm trying to call them now.  when I called last week they told me don't put in another application- but I agree, it's way too long

Timeline
2 minutes ago, stephanie918 said:

i'm trying to call them now.  when I called last week they told me don't put in another application- but I agree, it's way too long

Good luck! Let us know how you go :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.