lansk

Stimulus package for US Citizen and foreign spouse?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Momof4bugs said:

868D8930-8A30-448F-9D92-112753015C9D.jpeg

Thanks for the screenshot.

My attention was drawn to the nonresident alien part. Technically, my wife is a nonresident alien because she doesn't have her green card yet. However, in our tax return we included a signed statement that we wished for her to be treated as a resident for the purposes of our 2019 tax return filing status. So would that mean that she would get the stimulus? Or not? 

2 hours ago, Hemutian said:

My attention was drawn to the nonresident alien part. Technically, my wife is a nonresident alien because she doesn't have her green card yet. However, in our tax return we included a signed statement that we wished for her to be treated as a resident for the purposes of our 2019 tax return filing status. So would that mean that she would get the stimulus? Or not? 

If you filed with her on your taxes and she has an ITIN then no. 

3 hours ago, katkoota said:

Also, if we choose to file our 2020 tax return as Married Filing Separately will we then receive our $1200 portion of the stimulus? Questions...

If you file with anyone that has an ITIN period then No you won’t. Jointly, separate, doesn’t matter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 hours ago, Momof4bugs said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/26/perspectives/stimulus-checks-undocumented-taxpayers/index.html

If a US citizen files married joint tax return they are NOT eligible for stimulus and neither are children on that tax return. 

You are right.  I assumed they were just going to rely on those that filed jointly either it’s an SSN or an ITIN. Kind of sucks for those that did take the time to get an ITIN and file taxes properly.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
9 hours ago, Momof4bugs said:

If you file with anyone that has an ITIN period then No you won’t. Jointly, separate, doesn’t matter

So this is like the Earned Income Credit then, you are ineligible if either you or your spouse file with an ITIN, even with US citizen children.

Am I correct in assuming that if my husband’s visa process is completed and he receives his SSN by the 2020 tax filing deadline, we will get the stimulus then? Hopefully.   

Timeline
10 hours ago, Momof4bugs said:

My wife doesn't have an ITIN. She has a SSN.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
16 hours ago, Hemutian said:

This is how it worked for me in 2008. I was a K1 with only 3 months in the country at the end of 2008. We filed jointly (both had SSNs) and included the election to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes for all of 2008. We each qualified for the stimulus package.

i believe the reference to nonresident aliens you marked above is for the many people on visas like students, nannies, etc who file a nonresident return 1040-NR.

Edited by Wuozopo

1 minute ago, Wuozopo said:

This is how it worked for me in 2008. I was a K1 with only 3 months in the country at the end of 2008. We filed jointly (both had SSNs) and included the election to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes for all of 2008. We each qualified for the stimulus package.

That’s the thing you both has SSN when you filed taxes. If an ITIN shows anywhere on tax return it’s automatically declined for stimulus help

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My husband just filed taxes and stated married, I only just got my SSN last month but am not working myself so have obviously never filed. I do not yet have my greencard. Will we get $1200 or $2400? 

If the best things in life are free, why is a long distance relationship so expensive!?

3rd July 2017 - NOA1
14th February - RFE
24th April 2018 - NOA2
11th May 2018 - NVC received
xx/xx/xxxx - NVC Case Number # received
xx/xx/xxxx - Medical
xx/xx/xxxx - Interview 
xx/xx/xxxx - POE
xx/xx/xxxx - Married

1 minute ago, ThisGirlsCurls said:

My husband just filed taxes and stated married, I only just got my SSN last month but am not working myself so have obviously never filed. I do not yet have my greencard. Will we get $1200 or $2400? 

When y’all did taxes did you both have an SSN or what was y’alls filing status and what did you use. And ITIN or SSN 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Momof4bugs said:

When y’all did taxes did you both have an SSN or what was y’alls filing status and what did you use. And ITIN or SSN 

I am on a K1 and awaiting AOS. He is a citizen so he has an SSN and he added mine which I just received. 

If the best things in life are free, why is a long distance relationship so expensive!?

3rd July 2017 - NOA1
14th February - RFE
24th April 2018 - NOA2
11th May 2018 - NVC received
xx/xx/xxxx - NVC Case Number # received
xx/xx/xxxx - Medical
xx/xx/xxxx - Interview 
xx/xx/xxxx - POE
xx/xx/xxxx - Married

Timeline
1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

i believe the reference to nonresident aliens you marked above is for the many people on visas like students, nannies, etc who file a nonresident return 1040-NR.

Thanks

Timeline

I m Really so upset. I have only one source of income from me and my foreign spouse  doesn’t have any income. Our joint income is less than 75k. We did everything legal and there is no fault of my spouse neither is mine. How come they exclude conditions like this? Its just UNFAIR. 

My spouse got CR1 visa week back but my spouse is not able to get SSN until she be in US. Once she enters US and gets SSN will we be able to get this stimulus relief? Or there is no hope at all?

Edited by lansk

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.