lansk

Stimulus package for US Citizen and foreign spouse?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You should get the $2400 since you filed your taxes married filing jointly.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Tax & Finances During US Immigration forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline
17 hours ago, lansk said:

I am US Citizen married with foreign spouse and I filed taxes married filing jointly with my spouse ITIN number. Our joint income is less than $50,000. Will I get $1200 or $2400?

What the current version of the stimulus bill says:

“Everyone earning up to $75,000 in adjusted gross income — the income on your tax return — and who has a Social Security number will receive a $1,200 payment.” (Source: AP)

Since your spouse does not have a Social Security Number and the bill specifically requires an adult to have a security number valid for work, that disqualifies him/her from being a beneficiary of the stimulus check.

Unfortunately, you’ll only get $1,200.  

Edited by nycaribb

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
On 3/26/2020 at 2:45 AM, lansk said:

I am US Citizen married with foreign spouse and I filed taxes married filing jointly with my spouse ITIN number. Our joint income is less than $50,000. Will I get $1200 or $2400?

I’m very curious about this as well.  I’m in the same situation, MFJ and spouse has an ITIN.  The 2008 stimulus specifically excluded people filing with ITINs AND their spouses, I really hope that isn’t the case with this stimulus!  The positive is I believe this stimulus will work as a 2020 tax credit, if you don’t receive the money now but your spouse enters the US and receives a SSN by the 2020 tax filing deadline (either April 15, 2020 or October 15, 2020 with an extension), you will receive a $2400 stimulus  tax credit when you file your 2020 taxes.  So we will see...

On 3/26/2020 at 4:45 AM, lansk said:

Unfortunately no. It even states on the website that if a US citizen with an SSN FILES jointly with someone with an ITIN they do not qualify and neither do their children.i have called several senators about this because we should atleast get it as well as our kids. The only stipulation is those In the armed forces 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/26/perspectives/stimulus-checks-undocumented-taxpayers/index.html

23 hours ago, nycaribb said:

“Everyone earning up to $75,000 in adjusted gross income — the income on your tax return — and who has a Social Security number will receive a $1,200 payment.” (Source: AP)

Since your spouse does not have a Social Security Number and the bill specifically requires an adult to have a security number valid for work, that disqualifies him/her from being a beneficiary of the stimulus check.

Actually you won’t even get 1200 . It states that even a spouse with a valid SSN does not qualify nor do children if they file with someone with an ITIN. I’ve called and spoke to many people and it was the same  with the previous stimulus checks. 

Just now, Momof4bugs said:

Actually you won’t even get 1200 . It states that even a spouse with a valid SSN does not qualify nor do children if they file with someone with an ITIN. I’ve called and spoke to many people and it was the same  with the previous stimulus checks. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/26/perspectives/stimulus-checks-undocumented-taxpayers/index.html

here is a link that shows it

On 3/26/2020 at 5:32 AM, Dashinka said:

You should get the $2400 since you filed your taxes married filing jointly.

If a US citizen files married joint tax return they are NOT eligible for stimulus and neither are children on that tax return. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Momof4bugs said:

If a US citizen files married joint tax return they are NOT eligible for stimulus and neither are children on that tax return. 

This is what I was worried about.  Extremely unfair for those of us who are US citizens and choose to obtain ITINs  and file jointly with our non-resident spouses, which the IRS ALLOWS us to do... sigh.

Just now, katkoota said:

This is what I was worried about.  Extremely unfair for those of us who are US citizens and choose to obtain ITINs  and file jointly with our non-resident spouses, which the IRS ALLOWS us to do... sigh.

I know and I’ve been pretty pissy about the entire thing. I’m surprised Democrats didn’t fight for this seeing they are for undocumented people. I heard 1 person say something about it during the house vote today and he was cut off. I’m going to keep messaging the White House, the senators  and do what I can. We should make a change.org to atleast be able to get it for ourselves or our children who are citizens. Hell even DACA gets it. We are being ostracized. I’ll do what I can. Please help me and email Trump and your senators.  

Timeline
1 minute ago, Momof4bugs said:

I know and I’ve been pretty pissy about the entire thing. I’m surprised Democrats didn’t fight for this seeing they are for undocumented people. I heard 1 person say something about it during the house vote today and he was cut off. I’m going to keep messaging the White House, the senators  and do what I can. We should make a change.org to atleast be able to get it for ourselves or our children who are citizens. Hell even DACA gets it. We are being ostracized. I’ll do what I can. Please help me and email Trump and your senators.  

Great idea, I will work on it tomorrow!  At the very least those of us who are citizens with valid SSNs that live and work here in the US should get a payment, whether or not our spouses have ITINs, what the hell? My husband doesn’t reside in the US and we are currently applying for his visa, we’ve done nothing wrong.  Ridiculous...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
On 3/26/2020 at 8:14 PM, nycaribb said:

Hi,

It sounds like having a SSN is the key. My wife has a SSN, and we already filed our 2019 return jointly, so it sounds like we should get the $2400, even though she doesn't have a Green Card yet, is that correct? (and our joint income is under $150K)

Timeline
1 minute ago, Hemutian said:

Hi,

It sounds like having a SSN is the key. My wife has a SSN, and we already filed our 2019 return jointly, so it sounds like we should get the $2400, even though she doesn't have a Green Card yet, is that correct? (and our joint income is under $150K)

Yes, SSN is key and sounds like you will get the full $2400.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.