Dawgsavvy

My son's home country does not allow dual citizenship?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
14 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Why would he need a greencard or US visa to return to Thailand? Maybe I misunderstood you. When I visit Myanmar I enter on my Thai passport, and leave on my Thai passport, then when I board the plane in Thailand I use my US passport to exit from Thailand and return to the US. How would he even have a greencard if he is in possession of a US passport? He would be entering and leaving Myanmar on his Myanmar passport, then his US passport to leave Thailand and return to the US? They have no way of knowing his final destination is the US unless you were planning on him flying from Myanmar directly back to the US, I was under the assumption he was going to enter and leave Myanmar both ways thru Thailand.

If I misunderstood, I don't know, but I like the option of grandma coming to Thailand. I agree who doesn't love Thailand. LOL Can't wait to retire there myself, plan on buying some land there later this year while it is still reasonable.

My bad. Sorry, he will not need it to return to Thailand.  I got myself a little confused.  Should he try to fly from Myanmar to the USA, or even Thialand to the USA on his Myanmar passport, then he must show a visa or green card for the USA. If he uses his USA passport, then there is no need.  

1 minute ago, Dawgsavvy said:

My bad. Sorry, he will not need it to return to Thailand.  I got myself a little confused.  Should he try to fly from Myanmar to the USA, or even Thialand to the USA on his Myanmar passport, then he must show a visa or green card for the USA. If he uses his USA passport, then there is no need.  

Your problem arises as you say from the fact that the passports have different names. Is the hullabaloo via Thailand easier than a visa? I guess that’s your answer, that plus finding out if there are any consequences for your son from hiding his other nationality. Is Myanmar the type of country where they might question your son about what he has been doing abroad even though he is a citizen?

4 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Your problem arises as you say from the fact that the passports have different names. Is the hullabaloo via Thailand easier than a visa? I guess that’s your answer, that plus finding out if there are any consequences for your son from hiding his other nationality. Is Myanmar the type of country where they might question your son about what he has been doing abroad even though he is a citizen?

His grandmother is 77. If she ends up in the hospital he should visit her, he will have to wait on a visa, and stay in a hotel. 

3 minutes ago, Dawgsavvy said:

His grandmother is 77. If she ends up in the hospital he should visit her, he will have to wait on a visa, and stay in a hotel. 

I understand your dilemma. Unfortunately there is a law that exists in Myanmar. Like I said, you have to be the one to figure out whether flying on different tickets and names via Thailand to circumvent that is a better solution than getting a visa. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I am not sure about Myanmar law. but i would like to share my cousin's experience in Singapore where duo citizenship is also not allowed.

they kept both citizenships for years, and at age of 21, they would have to choose one and legally give up the other one. at the end they both chose Singapore since they both have been living there for years. 

what they did in the past when travelling, is simply leave Singapore with the Singapore passport, and enter another country with the other passport (same name). They were never questioned regarding the other passport when going back to Singapore 

Want to know more about apply for K1 VISA / Green card in TAIWAN? come visit my blog https://summerprincess.pixnet.net/blog

On 3/24/2020 at 6:55 PM, W.Rominger said:

I am not sure about Myanmar law. but i would like to share my cousin's experience in Singapore where duo citizenship is also not allowed.

they kept both citizenships for years, and at age of 21, they would have to choose one and legally give up the other one. at the end they both chose Singapore since they both have been living there for years. 

what they did in the past when travelling, is simply leave Singapore with the Singapore passport, and enter another country with the other passport (same name). They were never questioned regarding the other passport when going back to Singapore 

Interesting!  It might be no big deal at all because he is under 18.  I might need to ask someone in the Myanmar embassy.

Maybe my wife should write Aung San Suu Kyi

Funny how I remember when Obama said he wanted to be the US ambassador to Myanmar.  If that happened, I might have written him asking about a job there. Hahahaha

Edited by Dawgsavvy

We recieved his updated social security card.  I took him and applied for a state ID with his new name.  They will not issue a "Real ID" becuase I do not yet have a birth certificate or passport. 

I applied for his passport and passport card two days ago.  They did not request that I turn in his green card.

I have filled out all the forms and will mail off the request for his US birth certificate on Monday.

33 minutes ago, Dawgsavvy said:

We recieved his updated social security card.  I took him and applied for a state ID with his new name.  They will not issue a "Real ID" becuase I do not yet have a birth certificate or passport. 

I applied for his passport and passport card two days ago.  They did not request that I turn in his green card.

I have filled out all the forms and will mail off the request for his US birth certificate on Monday.

If you’re worried about flying internally, real ID is only needed for 18 and over. He’ll no doubt have a compliant drivers license by then. 

Don’t be surprised if you get a letter from the passport agency in VA requesting his green card before they will issue his passport. That’s what happened to us, despite the lady at the post office insisting we didn’t need to send my daughter’s green card with her passport application. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.