Dawgsavvy

My son's home country does not allow dual citizenship?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I brought my wife here to the USA (we were both working in Singapore).  I also brought her son from Myanmar. They both have green cards.

I adopted him two weeks ago and changed his name. I am waiting for his name to update on his social security card.  The DOT web site said he does not need his social security card updated to get his ID updated, but when we went there, they said different. I have noted that what web sites say, and what is done in practice often differ.

Anyway, soon enough he will have a US passport.  The only problem is with Myanmar.  If he goes to visit his grandmother on his US passport, then he needs a visa, and must stay in a hotel because foreigners are not allowed to stay in private homes on a visit. He can leave the USA on his US passport, but when he arrives in Myanmar using his native passport, his airline ticket will differ. If they know he is adopted by a US citizen and now is a US citizen, they will take his Myanmar passport.  What can we do?

Someone suggested that he fly to Thailand on his USA passport, stay one day, fly to Myanmar on his Myanmar passport, return to Thailand on his Myanmar passport, then leave for the USA from Thailand on his US passport. That cannot work because when he leaves Thailand, he never officially entered Thailand under his Myanmar passport.  I do not suppose Thailand will allow him to use both to enter.

9 minutes ago, Dawgsavvy said:

Someone suggested that he fly to Thailand on his USA passport, stay one day, fly to Myanmar on his Myanmar passport, return to Thailand on his Myanmar passport, then leave for the USA from Thailand on his US passport.

He can use both passports.   Enter and leave US with the US passport.  Everything else can be Thai.  

Edited by Paul & Mary

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

27 minutes ago, Dawgsavvy said:

He can leave the USA on his US passport, but when he arrives in Myanmar using his native passport, his airline ticket will differ.

What do you mean, his airline ticket will differ?

I’d also like to point out that what you are trying to do is circumvent Myanmar law. I’m not sure that’s allowed to be discussed here?

30 minutes ago, Dawgsavvy said:

If they know he is adopted by a US citizen and now is a US citizen, they will take his Myanmar passport.  What can we do?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to the Regional forum, from Bringing Family of USC - the Topic is about dual citizenship and birth country not recognizing dual. The Op is looking for legal options for visiting~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

His Mother is Naturalising? On what basis is he getting citizenship?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
1 hour ago, Dawgsavvy said:

I brought my wife here to the USA (we were both working in Singapore).  I also brought her son from Myanmar. They both have green cards.

I adopted him two weeks ago and changed his name. I am waiting for his name to update on his social security card.  The DOT web site said he does not need his social security card updated to get his ID updated, but when we went there, they said different. I have noted that what web sites say, and what is done in practice often differ.

Anyway, soon enough he will have a US passport.  The only problem is with Myanmar.  If he goes to visit his grandmother on his US passport, then he needs a visa, and must stay in a hotel because foreigners are not allowed to stay in private homes on a visit. He can leave the USA on his US passport, but when he arrives in Myanmar using his native passport, his airline ticket will differ. If they know he is adopted by a US citizen and now is a US citizen, they will take his Myanmar passport.  What can we do?

Someone suggested that he fly to Thailand on his USA passport, stay one day, fly to Myanmar on his Myanmar passport, return to Thailand on his Myanmar passport, then leave for the USA from Thailand on his US passport. That cannot work because when he leaves Thailand, he never officially entered Thailand under his Myanmar passport.  I do not suppose Thailand will allow him to use both to enter.

I have a US passport, and a Thai passport but granted they are both in the same name, but I have booked tickets to Bangkok to and from LAX here in the US where I use my US passport to enter and leave the US and Thailand, then travel to different countries on my Thai passport because no visa is required ( For example if I want to visit Myanmar/Burma) from Thailand I would require a visa for my US passport, but not for my Thai passport, so I book and fly with my Thai passport to avoid the visa requirement. As long as the tickets are booked separate and the names are the same on the travel document you are using I don't see an issue. I am usually flying different airlines also as Air Asia, or Thai airlines, or whoever is cheaper when booked. But as long as you enter and leave on the same passport you shouldn't have an issue. This matters because arrival and departure records have to match I would think.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

2 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

What do you mean, his airline ticket will differ?

He has a new name.  His brith name is very traditional.  His new "Western" name is a very typical American name, with my last name (Braun).  He hardly looks like a German decendant.

His US passport will be in his new name.

His Burmese passport has his birth name.

2 hours ago, Loren Y said:

I have a US passport, and a Thai passport but granted they are both in the same name, but I have booked tickets to Bangkok to and from LAX here in the US where I use my US passport to enter and leave the US and Thailand, then travel to different countries on my Thai passport because no visa is required ( For example if I want to visit Myanmar/Burma) from Thailand I would require a visa for my US passport, but not for my Thai passport, so I book and fly with my Thai passport to avoid the visa requirement. As long as the tickets are booked separate and the names are the same on the travel document you are using I don't see an issue. I am usually flying different airlines also as Air Asia, or Thai airlines, or whoever is cheaper when booked. But as long as you enter and leave on the same passport you shouldn't have an issue. This matters because arrival and departure records have to match I would think.

But they will take his green card, so he cannot re-enter the USA on his Myanmar passport.  When he tries to depart Myanmar they will ask to see his green card or for a US visa.  He can only show his US passport. I am not sure of any legal way to accomplish this.

Just now, Dawgsavvy said:

He has a new name.  His brith name is very traditional.  His new "Western" name is a very typical American name, with my last name (Braun).  He hardly looks like a German decendant.

His US passport will be in his new name.

His Burmese passport has his birth name.

And Myanmar doesn’t allow dual citizenship even if the kid is a minor and didn’t purposely acquire it? 
If they are that strict - what are the penalties for him if he gets discovered trying to circumvent the law?

I’m leaning towards you’re going to have to suck it up and get a visa for him. 

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

His Mother is Naturalising? On what basis is he getting citizenship?

The adoption is complete.  He is a US citizen by adoption.  Mis mother will not become a US citizen simply becuase we own a condo in Myanmar.  The government will seize the condo if she loses her citizenship. 

1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

And Myanmar doesn’t allow dual citizenship even if the kid is a minor and didn’t purposely acquire it? 
If they are that strict - what are the penalties for him if he gets discovered trying to circumvent the law?

I’m leaning towards you’re going to have to suck it up and get a visa for him. 

At least Myanmar does not allow it for now.  That might change in the near future. Up until recently, refugees who left Burma (before it became Myanmar) were prohiibited from visiting.  That has changed.

Or for that matter the rule against dual citizenship may only apply to adults, not children.  I had not thought of that before.  How could they force a child to stay in a hotel?  I think I need a lawyer in Myanmar to sort this out.

This is so confusing.  I never meant to, nor have I any intention of doing anytihng illegal.

With regards to his intention to be adopted. He is 15.  He was required by law to tell the judge that he wanted to be adopted.  I know that sounds silly that a child may speak on his own behalf in court, but that is hoe the law works in Arizona. Funny huh?

Anyway if he goes back with his mother to visit grandma, the nearest hotel is very far away.

The alternative is for grandma to meet us in Thailand.  None of us require a visa to go there.  We love Thailand.

Edited by Dawgsavvy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Dawgsavvy said:

This is so confusing.  I never meant to, nor have I any intention of doing anytihng illegal.

With regards to his intention to be adopted. He is 15.  He was required by law to tell the judge that he wanted to be adopted.  I know that sounds silly that a child may speak on his own behalf in court, but that is hoe the law works in Arizona. Funny huh?

Anyway if he goes back with his mother to visit grandma, the nearest hotel is very far away.

The alternative is for grandma to meet us in Thailand.  None of us require a visa to go there.  We love Thailand.

That seems a wise option for everyone 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
49 minutes ago, Dawgsavvy said:

But they will take his green card, so he cannot re-enter the USA on his Myanmar passport.  When he tries to depart Myanmar they will ask to see his green card or for a US visa.  He can only show his US passport. I am not sure of any legal way to accomplish this.

Why would he need a greencard or US visa to return to Thailand? Maybe I misunderstood you. When I visit Myanmar I enter on my Thai passport, and leave on my Thai passport, then when I board the plane in Thailand I use my US passport to exit from Thailand and return to the US. How would he even have a greencard if he is in possession of a US passport? He would be entering and leaving Myanmar on his Myanmar passport, then his US passport to leave Thailand and return to the US? They have no way of knowing his final destination is the US unless you were planning on him flying from Myanmar directly back to the US, I was under the assumption he was going to enter and leave Myanmar both ways thru Thailand.

If I misunderstood, I don't know, but I like the option of grandma coming to Thailand. I agree who doesn't love Thailand. LOL Can't wait to retire there myself, plan on buying some land there later this year while it is still reasonable.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.