Bjh

I-944: How to prove wife NEVER had a United States credit score?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
16 hours ago, QueenOfBlades said:

Good luck. Perhaps they can at least recommend something. You could always try the USCIS call center but who knows how helpful that would be.. 

So, this number has no one answering it, it's no different than just going to the website. 

I did call TransUnion today for some advice. At first they did offer to send a paper letter stating that my wife does not have a SSN and therefore has no credit history here. However, it turns out she DOES have a credit score here, they are going to send me a letter with the report and score.

1 hour ago, Bjh said:

So, this number has no one answering it, it's no different than just going to the website. 

I did call TransUnion today for some advice. At first they did offer to send a paper letter stating that my wife does not have a SSN and therefore has no credit history here. However, it turns out she DOES have a credit score here, they are going to send me a letter with the report and score.

How did you get through to TransUnion? I’ve really been struggling to get through to a human and I’m going through pretty much the same issue as yourselves.

Timeline
1 hour ago, matt1wardhaugh said:

How did you get through to TransUnion? I’ve really been struggling to get through to a human and I’m going through pretty much the same issue as yourselves.

Call 833-395-6938 and dial 0, you may be on hold for a while though.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 3/18/2020 at 1:54 PM, Bjh said:

Oh wow! I'm on the same boat as you. I didn't apply for a SSN right away and thus am not able to pull a credit report here :(

Thanks for sharing this information, though! Looks like there just might be some hope for some of us.

Have you received her letter with the report and score already? Are you able to share how long it took?

Thanks in advance :) 

Timeline

The first time I called was a week before last Wednesday, I was told (incorrectly) that we could receive both my wife's score AND report without a fee for the score (the report by itself is free). I was also told we would receive the papers in 5-7 business days... so I should've received it this past Friday and didn't. I did call again a week ago today to double check if anything had been sent or recorded (with wife on the phone with me), there was no record of anything being sent. So I again ordered my wife's credit report, score AND paid the fee for the score, and again was told that it would arrive via snail mail in 5-7 business days. So, at the earliest, it should arrive today, at the latest on Wednesday. If nothing arrives by then, my plan is for my wife to sign an affidavit that she has never had a US ssn and hence no credit report or score in the US. I also plan on sending screenshots of the error messages we receive when trying to get her credit report and score online. Her authorized stay ends on Thursday so we really don't have a choice if we cannot get proof of a credit report or score...

Timeline
On 3/30/2020 at 12:18 AM, lainey122 said:

Oh wow! I'm on the same boat as you. I didn't apply for a SSN right away and thus am not able to pull a credit report here :(

Thanks for sharing this information, though! Looks like there just might be some hope for some of us.

Have you received her letter with the report and score already? Are you able to share how long it took?

Thanks in advance :) 

Quick update...we received her credit report and score in the mail yesterday, it looks like the only reason she has them is because I made her an authorized user on my credit cards months ago. This didn't require a SSN.

I can't comment on getting an official credit bureau letter stating you have no credit report or score. 

Edited by Bjh

Timeline

Thanks @Bjh! I just got off the phone with TransUnion (2.5 hour wait omg), and they will be sending me my credit report. Apparently I have one in the US, as well, for the same reason as you!

good luck to you and your wife on the rest of your filing!

Timeline
6 hours ago, lainey122 said:

Thanks @Bjh! I just got off the phone with TransUnion (2.5 hour wait omg), and they will be sending me my credit report. Apparently I have one in the US, as well, for the same reason as you!

good luck to you and your wife on the rest of your filing!

Did you pay the $9 fee for the score? If not you might want to call back, try to give as much info to USCIS as you can

Timeline
On 3/31/2020 at 6:41 PM, Bjh said:

Did you pay the $9 fee for the score? If not you might want to call back, try to give as much info to USCIS as you can

Shoot. I did not realize that the credit score and credit report were two different documents. Guess I'll have to try and call again.

Timeline
On 4/2/2020 at 4:27 PM, lainey122 said:

Shoot. I did not realize that the credit score and credit report were two different documents. Guess I'll have to try and call again.

Also just a heads up...it'll take them 8-9 business days to get your credit report/score to you, even though they say "5-7 business days" ... that was my experience because we received (for the second time) my wife's credit score/report this past Friday (ordered again via phone on Mon March 23rd)...

• 1 month later...

Hi @Bjh I am in the same boat. Where you able to get something that states that she does not have a credit report?  If so, may you please share how you did it? Thank you

EDIT: Sorry I just noticed that you already reported how to do it, Thank you

Edited by andresito
Update

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 3/17/2020 at 7:58 PM, Bjh said:

So, I tried this on freecreditreport.com and annualcreditreport.com (my wife's name, and all zeroes for SSN). Doesn't work for either site...

There is no such thing as free credit report, if you have no history.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.