Bjh

I-944: How to prove wife NEVER had a United States credit score?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey people,

I'm stumped about what the I-944 is asking. To get any credit report in the US, you need a SSN. My wife and I didn't get her one in the beginning because it didn't seem worthwhile (you don't get to work with it, and you don't need it for health insurance). So obviously she isn't going to have a credit score.

Can she just sign a self-written affidavit saying she has never had a SSN in the United States and therefore has no reportable credit? I get asking about use of public benefits, but asking someone applying for permanent residence for something usually only people who are already permanent residents or citizens have seems like a really dumb thing, to be honest.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
39 minutes ago, Bjh said:

Hey people,

I'm stumped about what the I-944 is asking. To get any credit report in the US, you need a SSN. My wife and I didn't get her one in the beginning because it didn't seem worthwhile (you don't get to work with it, and you don't need it for health insurance). So obviously she isn't going to have a credit score.

Can she just sign a self-written affidavit saying she has never had a SSN in the United States and therefore has no reportable credit? I get asking about use of public benefits, but asking someone applying for permanent residence for something usually only people who are already permanent residents or citizens have seems like a really dumb thing, to be honest.

My husband and I have the same exact question

Run a credit report using your name and dob and all zeros for SSN.

Youll get a record of NO CREDIT back and that is what you want.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Great, thanks!!

Timeline
20 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

So, I tried this on freecreditreport.com and annualcreditreport.com (my wife's name, and all zeroes for SSN). Doesn't work for either site...

Copy pasting what I just said about this in the other thread (He being the alien):

He doesn’t need an SSN to build credit. It’s just one identifier that’s used to find someone. People like students can build credit histories as well. Estimates I’m seeing are 3-6 months. The credit isn’t something to stress over. USCIS provide this link for more info:

https://www.usa.gov/credit-reports

Which in turn leads to a free credit report here:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

Which notes it is the only source for a free credit report, and authorized by federal law. Put your husbands information in. Run a search. Save whatever results you get either way, submit it with your form. Even PrintScreen or something if it pulls up negative to show he has no credit report per the source they provide. Negative credit reports or errors have requirements too if he is pinged for that. Getting letters back saying he doesn’t have one would be helpful too, as you mentioned. 

Regarding not having a credit score, USCIS says:

“If you do not have a credit report or credit score, provide documentation that demonstrates that you do not have a credit report or score with a credit bureau. You may provide evidence of continued payment of bills if there is no credit report or credit score.”

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, Bjh said:

Hey people,

What my spouse did was this.. maybe it will be helpful for people applying with new form ( we did old form.. so pl dont flame me).   

We entered K1 12/27/19, married 12/29/19, cert arrived from Nevada 1/7/20.   We applied SSN 1/10/20.  Got the SSN like in 1/28/20. Opened bank account and then we immediately applied for Discover $250 deposit credit card.   Within 2 weeks she has a credit profile and a score.   She was all set up by end of feb in Expedia, Experian and transunion.  She even had credit file lock/unlock feature.     

I am not sure how useful it is to I-944 but we were building her credit fast in case we need to buy a home later... but I figured it could be useful for I-944 requirements.

Edited by flfreddy

=============
5/20/2019 - I129 Submitted

5/22/19 - NOA1

Timeline
10 minutes ago, flfreddy said:

What my spouse did was this.. maybe it will be helpful for people applying with new form ( we did old form.. so pl dont flame me).   

We entered K1 12/27/19, married 12/29/19, cert arrived from Nevada 1/7/20.   We applied SSN 1/10/20.  Got the SSN like in 1/28/20. Opened bank account and then we immediately applied for Discover $250 deposit credit card.   Within 2 weeks she has a credit profile and a score.   She was all set up by end of feb in Expedia, Experian and transunion.  She even had credit file lock/unlock feature.     

I am not sure how useful it is to I-944 but we were building her credit fast in case we need to buy a home later... but I figured it could be useful for I-944 requirements.

My wife's 90 days runs out April 2nd, so she probably won't be able to get a SSN in time...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Bjh said:

My wife's 90 days runs out April 2nd, so she probably won't be able to get a SSN in time...

Is this a K1 entry? SSN would have been the first thing you would get.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Is this a K1 entry? SSN would have been the first thing you would get.

I know it's something people usually do, but SSN isn't required for anything including health insurance and you can't use it to work, so...we didn't get one. Didn't anticipate needing to establish credit before becoming a PR or prove that she doesn't have a credit report, though...

Edited by Bjh

Everything I’m reading says about using the credit report site I listed above, including using it to provide evidence that the immigrant has no credit history. Looking at the site though, they require an SSN. So I’m not sure if they could identify her in other ways. I’m not sure how that works honestly. 

Request Your Free Credit Report: 

Online: Visit AnnualCreditReport.com

By Phone: Call 1-877-322-8228. For TTY service, call 711 and ask the relay operator for 1-800-821-7232.

It says to call that 877 number with any questions. If it were me, I’d probably try that and see if they can do anything. 

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

Timeline
16 minutes ago, QueenOfBlades said:

Everything I’m reading says about using the credit report site I listed above, including using it to provide evidence that the immigrant has no credit history. Looking at the site though, they require an SSN. So I’m not sure if they could identify her in other ways. I’m not sure how that works honestly. 

Request Your Free Credit Report: 

Online: Visit AnnualCreditReport.com

By Phone: Call 1-877-322-8228. For TTY service, call 711 and ask the relay operator for 1-800-821-7232.

It says to call that 877 number with any questions. If it were me, I’d probably try that and see if they can do anything. 

I'll call them tomorrow and update you all on the results

Good luck. Perhaps they can at least recommend something. You could always try the USCIS call center but who knows how helpful that would be.. 

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

13 hours ago, Bjh said:

I know it's something people usually do, but SSN isn't required for anything including health insurance and you can't use it to work, so...we didn't get one. Didn't anticipate needing to establish credit before becoming a PR or prove that she doesn't have a credit report, though...

It's always a good idea to have an SSN. There's no reason not to get it as soon as possible. Also, you should be working on her credit score from day 1 anyway. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Orangesapples said:

It's always a good idea to have an SSN. There's no reason not to get it as soon as possible. Also, you should be working on her credit score from day 1 anyway. 

I understand, but it's a bit too late at this point, now-wife arrived Jan 2nd.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.