LondonerCat

I feel all your pain re banned flights

36 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

If you are just visiting, then what does it have to do with the embassy? Do you have ESTA? And perhaps a copy of your marriage certificate and spouse’s US passport and/or birth certificate to present to the airlines?

I do have an up to date ESTA. I can bring our original marriage certificate and I could ask my husband to photocopy is passport. Do you think that will surface? I was thinking the embassy could write/ stamp/ sign something more ‘official’ as they can see my i-130 is in process whereas airport staff cannot. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
46 minutes ago, LondonerCat said:

I do have an up to date ESTA. I can bring our original marriage certificate and I could ask my husband to photocopy is passport. Do you think that will surface? I was thinking the embassy could write/ stamp/ sign something more ‘official’ as they can see my i-130 is in process whereas airport staff cannot. 

The embassy has no clue about your I-130. It is part of the State Department and can’t see your petition with USCIS. Separate parts of the government. Furthermore, USCIS has not approved your petition so is that “official” proof?

What will work? Who knows? Things are unfolding daily. This is uncharted territory. You might have the virus by then, or somebody on your plane. UK cases just about doubled in the last 48 hours.  My sister is an idiot. She has been off work with “the flu” and now DVT. She plans to fly to Tenerife next week on holiday. I wish everybody would just stay home and understand the potential impact this might yet have.

Sorry, I don’t normally get on a soapbox, but the last few days have totally reversed my thinking. We are all inconvenienced in some way. 

22 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

The embassy has no clue about your I-130. It is part of the State Department and can’t see your petition with USCIS. Separate parts of the government. Furthermore, USCIS has not approved your petition so is that “official” proof?

What will work? Who knows? Things are unfolding daily. This is uncharted territory. You might have the virus by then, or somebody on your plane. UK cases just about doubled in the last 48 hours.  My sister is an idiot. She has been off work with “the flu” and now DVT. She plans to fly to Tenerife next week on holiday. I wish everybody would just stay home and understand the potential impact this might yet have.

Sorry, I don’t normally get on a soapbox, but the last few days have totally reversed my thinking. We are all inconvenienced in some way. 

Seeing as though my CR-1 visa will be approved at the US embassy in London, I do believe they will be a good port of call for advice right now. 

Re infection; yes I understand. I am medically trained and work in a big teaching hospital in London so well aware of the disease presentation/ symptoms/ clinical risks. I would never risk infecting others by travelling/ breaking self isolation if i showed symptoms and am well versed with hand washing/ importance of wearing an N95 mask, thus drastically reducing any risk of contributing to on-going spread.  

Edited by LondonerCat
Typo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, LondonerCat said:

Would the NOA1...  NOA 2 would be even better ..  be of any value as evidence of spousal relationship to the USC? Not sure where you are in the process..  

1 minute ago, Lil bear said:

Would the NOA1...  NOA 2 would be even better ..  be of any value as evidence of spousal relationship to the USC? Not sure where you are in the process..  

Yes, I am sure this would help for immigration at LAX, but could they see all this on their screens as linked to my passport number? We have our NOA1 only as we only filed in Nov 19! 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, LondonerCat said:

Yes, I am sure this would help for immigration at LAX, but could they see all this on their screens as linked to my passport number? We have our NOA1 only as we only filed in Nov 19! 

I don’t know what they see 😓. You could consider departing from Dublin instead .... as it is a preclearance airport ..  and CBP there may be better than LAX. If denied, you haven’t wasted a trip. 

7 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

I don’t know what they see 😓. You could consider departing from Dublin instead .... as it is a preclearance airport ..  and CBP there may be better than LAX. If denied, you haven’t wasted a trip. 

Excellent suggestion! Just not sure BA would authorise the change in flights? So much still in the air! I will speak to the embassy and BA Monday and I think take it from there. Thank you so much for your help and input 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, LondonerCat said:

Excellent suggestion! Just not sure BA would authorise the change in flights? So much still in the air! I will speak to the embassy and BA Monday and I think take it from there. Thank you so much for your help and input 

Hope you can get here. I’m facing travel challenges for a visit to my 90+ yr old parents in Australia soon .. my son and his family are travelling with me for their first visit in 5 years ... all in limbo right now and no decisions possible .. hoping in 4 weeks things will be a bit more settled. 

5 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Hope you can get here. I’m facing travel challenges for a visit to my 90+ yr old parents in Australia soon .. my son and his family are travelling with me for their first visit in 5 years ... all in limbo right now and no decisions possible .. hoping in 4 weeks things will be a bit more settled. 

Best of luck with your impending visit to your parents. It’s a stressful for time for just about everyone in different ways. Hope you all stay safe

On 3/14/2020 at 7:46 PM, JFH said:

Indeed it could be a problem. We always recommend not purchasing a ticket until the visa is issued which often means buying a ticket very shortly before travel. Capacity has been cut and routes are being cancelled as only a handful of airports are approved for CDC health screening. Lufthansa has had to cancel their flights into Charlotte and Tampa, for example, BA cannot fly into Charleston, Tampa, Orlando, Nashville, AA cannot fly into RDU, Delta cannot use MSP or PDX. Virgin cannot use Orlando, Las Vegas. So routes are being condensed. People due to fly directly to Orlando are being funneled through ATL or MIA so capacity is restricted again. People who previously had non-stop flights now have to make connections. 

Check with your airline. I work for a major carrier and we are re-routing thousands of people. Check your booking online. Any changes will be noted on there. 

May I ask, how does the re-routing work?

I called my airline a few times (Norwegian Air) and asked about this, they have no idea.

My arrival airport = Austin, Texas. They advised me that flights have been landing there fine. I also checked the arrivals website for Austin airport and London flights appear to be landing.

It's very confusing as I thought we could only enter via the "approved" airports?

1 hour ago, Athy said:

May I ask, how does the re-routing work?

I called my airline a few times (Norwegian Air) and asked about this, they have no idea.

My arrival airport = Austin, Texas. They advised me that flights have been landing there fine. I also checked the arrivals website for Austin airport and London flights appear to be landing.

It's very confusing as I thought we could only enter via the "approved" airports?

BA have suspended Austin and the first scheduled arrival on DI (Norwegian) that I see is March 26. There are currently no non-stops to Austin until then. 

When are you due to fly? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

35 minutes ago, JFH said:

BA have suspended Austin and the first scheduled arrival on DI (Norwegian) that I see is March 26. There are currently no non-stops to Austin until then. 

When are you due to fly? 

I fly on 26 March. London > Austin.

I see a flight landed today by BA: London Heathrow > Austin (arrived 17:23)

57 minutes ago, Athy said:

I fly on 26 March. London > Austin.

I see a flight landed today by BA: London Heathrow > Austin (arrived 17:23)

The ban from the UK starts tonight so that’s the last one that could get in. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

17 minutes ago, JFH said:

The ban from the UK starts tonight so that’s the last one that could get in. 

Do you have any idea (as Norwegian Air don't seem to) know what happens in this example? London > Austin scheduled for 26 March.

Do you envisage landing in an approved airport and then being re-directed post checks?

The ban also excludes certain people I believe. 

Edited by Athy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, Athy said:

Do you have any idea (as Norwegian Air don't seem to) know what happens in this example? London > Austin scheduled for 26 March.

Do you envisage landing in an approved airport and then being re-directed post checks?

The ban also excludes certain people I believe. 

BBC News: Coronavirus: More flights cancelled by Virgin, Ryanair and others

See also: What happens if your flight is cancelled?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51904769

“Norwegian Air has cancelled thousands of flights and will temporarily lay off more than 7,500 staff.”

“Norwegian Air's temporary reduction in staff numbers will affect pilots, cabin crew and maintenance workers, roughly equalling 90% of its workforce.”

Have you thought about staying home?  Really. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.