Ido

Any known issues with parents of US citizen applying for a B1/B2 visa ?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Folks:

Came to the US long time ago on a work visa, became a lawful permanent resident, recently became a citizen. While under a work visa, my parents applied and got a B1/B2 visa, and came to visit multiple times, including after I became a resident. Alas, their B1/B2 visa expired a couple years ago, and they didn't apply for a new one at that time.

So now I am a citizen, and yes, I am absolutely aware my parents could immediately apply for an immigrant visa under IR5 category. Neither one of my parents has any interest at all to immigrate to the US - they're retired, love their house, their neighborhood, they have their own friends and activities in the old country, etc. So applying for an immigrant visa would be absolutely pointless (and costly) - they just want to visit for at most a month, and then back home to keep enjoying retirement.

So that said - I've done my Googling and found divergent opinions on the subject - "It is almost impossible to get a non-immigrant visa for a USC parent, because immigrant intent is assumed and hence immediately DENIED", or "There's no issue at all - matter of fact, it gets immediately approved with zero fuss".

Sooo - has anyone gone through this exact same scenario recently ? How likely or unlikely is for my parents to apply and get approved for a B1/B2 visa, as it successfully happened when I wasn't yet a citizen ?

Thanks !

It all comes down to the Parents being able to prove that they have no immigrant intent.   If they have strong ties back to home then they should apply.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

I may find myself in this same situation as the OP soon.  I have friends who got their citizenship and their parents had 0 problems getting into the US on a tourist visa. 

All they had to do was say if they wanted to stay in the USA, they'd take a legal path in, since it was available to them.  They just got the OK at that point with pretty much no interview.   Dominican Republic embassy, which is a tough one to get visa's from.

Edited by feeling_hopeful

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Generally somebody who had a B, used it appropriately, is one of the best candidates to obtain another,

So to answer the original question and based on what was posted I would say they are very likely to be issued another visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, feeling_hopeful said:

All they had to do was say if they wanted to stay in the USA, they'd take a legal path in, since it was available to them. 

Agree with you. This is the point one should make.

I am a USC and my parents got their B1/B2 visa last week. It was like a 5 min interview, no issues at all. They didn't even look at any of the different documents they took with them.

I think only time it would be denied if they already have an immigration visa application under processing.

USC, For spouse, April 02, YSC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Thanks all for the feedback, folks ! I'll hence tell my parents to go ahead and apply. They're old, and they get easily flustered and confused, specially when under the examination of a consular officer. Good to know they won't be under a lot of pressure or being asked 200,00 questions . . . I don't want for either one to get their stress level up because of this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ido said:

Thanks all for the feedback, folks ! I'll hence tell my parents to go ahead and apply. They're old, and they get easily flustered and confused, specially when under the examination of a consular officer. Good to know they won't be under a lot of pressure or being asked 200,00 questions . . . I don't want for either one to get their stress level up because of this.

At least they are not standing for US President.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, Ido said:

Yah, nothing to worry about.

My parents are old too, and doesn't understand English. The American CO at US Embassy Dhaka greeted and very politely interviewed them in Bangla.

USC, For spouse, April 02, YSC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.