MovingToFlorida

Canada Departure tax and form T1161

7 posts in this topic

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Simeone mentioned a departure tax in Canada the other day. I didn't know about this. Can anyone help explain it to me? I looked it up but found it confusing. 

I will be selling my house just before we move. Will I have to pay a departure tax on it?  If so how much?

I read we also have to submit a T1161 form to CRA?

I just want to be prepared for any money we may lose when we move. I want to do things properly so we don't pay more than we have to. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If the property you owned was your primary residence, you don't pay departure tax on that.

What I miss most about Canada, in no particular order:

My family!

My friends!

KD!

Hawkins Cheezies!

Poutine!

Lays Ketchup Chips!

What I don't miss:

-40 degree weather

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
13 hours ago, MovingToFlorida said:

Simeone mentioned a departure tax in Canada the other day. I didn't know about this. Can anyone help explain it to me? I looked it up but found it confusing. 

I will be selling my house just before we move. Will I have to pay a departure tax on it?  If so how much?

I read we also have to submit a T1161 form to CRA?

I just want to be prepared for any money we may lose when we move. I want to do things properly so we don't pay more than we have to. 

https://cardinalpointwealth.com/2018/08/31/canadian-expat-principal-residence/

i find these people might explain your situation pretty well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, purem4g1c said:

https://cardinalpointwealth.com/2018/08/31/canadian-expat-principal-residence/

i find these people might explain your situation pretty well

Something else of which to be aware: the FBAR

https://bsaefiling.fincen.treas.gov/NoRegFBARFiler.html

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Does anyone know if you are eligible for the departure tax if you have lived in Canada less than 3 years? I remember someone saying that the departure tax is only applicable for Canadian residents who have lived in the country for more than 3 years but I can't find it again. I moved here 1.5 years ago as a permanent resident and moving back to the states soon so it will be less than 2 years in total.

Edited by Gak

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 hours ago, Gak said:

Does anyone know if you are eligible for the departure tax if you have lived in Canada less than 3 years? I remember someone saying that the departure tax is only applicable for Canadian residents who have lived in the country for more than 3 years but I can't find it again. I moved here 1.5 years ago as a permanent resident and moving back to the states soon so it will be less than 2 years in total.

I did read a limit but I don't remember how many years it was. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.