Demian_Bones

N400 RFE After Interview

54 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone familiar with immigration matters can chime in and provide some input on my situation. On January 24th, I attended my N400 interview at the Minneapolis field office and passed the civic questions. I'm applying under 3 years via marriage and therefore, the officer asked a few questions about my marriage like what date did we get married and whether we live with anyone, just simple stuff. She then gave me the 'Decision cannot be made' letter and said to wait for a decision in the mail and briefly talked about the process for the oath ceremony and when I can expect to receive a mail for it. However, that same day  when I got home I checked the status and saw that I had gotten an RFE for more evidence to provide bonafide marriage and I submitted the requested evidence on March 3rd and didn't hear a peep afterwards. However, after the original RFE deadline was hit which March 2nd, the online status updated to another RFE was sent on March 2nd and should receive it soon. However, I have not received anything and it's been a week since the status update. The tier 2 officer I spoke to seems confused as well and said he doesn't see another RFE other than the original one that was sent out on January 27th. Anyone with any insight on this? 

Filed: Timeline

Maybe they have canceled the second RFE. Did you ask the L2 officer what is your current status then? Have they received the evidence for the orig RFE? What was the result? You can ask if you have been approved. At least that it's a good sign that the L2 officer didn't see a second RFE from his end.

42 minutes ago, xyz12345 said:

Maybe they have canceled the second RFE. Did you ask the L2 officer what is your current status then? Have they received the evidence for the orig RFE? What was the result? You can ask if you have been approved. At least that it's a good sign that the L2 officer didn't see a second RFE from his end.

The tier 2 officer wasn't able to see whether they have received the evidence or not. He said that they will really not update the system until they make a decision. However, when I log in the myuscis account I see this:

948999917_ScreenShot2020-03-08at11_30_17AM.thumb.png.3397dac9dfe51dad0b7c6aed79b3a7b2.png

I would assume this means they've received my evidence. But I'm not sure why my status on the egov site is saying another RFE was issued on March 2nD. The requested evidence was received by USCIS on February 2nd, I'm not sure why they're saying they received the evidence like a month later.

11 minutes ago, Demian_Bones said:

The tier 2 officer wasn't able to see whether they have received the evidence or not. He said that they will really not update the system until they make a decision. However, when I log in the myuscis account I see this:

948999917_ScreenShot2020-03-08at11_30_17AM.thumb.png.3397dac9dfe51dad0b7c6aed79b3a7b2.png

I would assume this means they've received my evidence. But I'm not sure why my status on the egov site is saying another RFE was issued on March 2nD. The requested evidence was received by USCIS on February 2nd, I'm not sure why they're saying they received the evidence like a month later.

it seems like they received the evidence. If I were you, I would just concentrate with the myUSCIS dhs account. Less confusing especially in situations like this when the L2 officer said no second RFE was sent out.

13 minutes ago, xyz12345 said:

it seems like they received the evidence. If I were you, I would just concentrate with the myUSCIS dhs account. Less confusing especially in situations like this when the L2 officer said no second RFE was sent out.

Waiting and seeing how this play out is my only recourse. I was also wondering, I thought submitting tons of evidence was an ROC thing since I had already had my conditions removed and had to submit like a 100 pages of bonafide evidence. But it seems like that isn't enough now that I have to go through this again with naturalization or maybe they somehow doubt my marriage for whatever reason.

Edited by Demian_Bones

15 minutes ago, Demian_Bones said:

Waiting and seeing how this play out is my only recourse. I was also wondering, I thought submitting tons of evidence was an ROC thing since I had already had my conditions removed and had to submit like a 100 pages of bonafide evidence. But it seems like that isn't enough now that I have to go through this again with naturalization or maybe they somehow doubt my marriage for whatever reason.

As a lot of members have already said, N-400 applications based on 3-yr marriage are faced with more scrutiny than when based on 5-yr residency. N-400 applic is the last check to make sure that USCIS issued your GC properly, and for one based on 3-yr marriage, it means a bonafide relationship. This is the exchange for a privilege of applying after 3 yrs instead of 5 yrs of residency.

Edited by xyz12345

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Demian_Bones said:

If you dont mind can you tell us what kind of evidence they wanted from you and what did you submitted. Based on 3 year did you and spouse file taxes together? also have bank accounts together. Financial co mingling goes a long way. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Demian_Bones said:

I was wondering if anyone familiar with immigration matters can chime in and provide some input on my situation. On January 24th, I attended my N400 interview at the Minneapolis field office and passed the civic questions. I'm applying under 3 years via marriage and therefore, the officer asked a few questions about my marriage like what date did we get married and whether we live with anyone, just simple stuff. She then gave me the 'Decision cannot be made' letter and said to wait for a decision in the mail and briefly talked about the process for the oath ceremony and when I can expect to receive a mail for it. However, that same day  when I got home I checked the status and saw that I had gotten an RFE for more evidence to provide bonafide marriage and I submitted the requested evidence on March 3rd and didn't hear a peep afterwards. However, after the original RFE deadline was hit which March 2nd, the online status updated to another RFE was sent on March 2nd and should receive it soon. However, I have not received anything and it's been a week since the status update. The tier 2 officer I spoke to seems confused as well and said he doesn't see another RFE other than the original one that was sent out on January 27th. Anyone with any insight on this? 

I'm confused. Are you referring to the RFE from January 24th as the "original" RFE with a deadline of March 2nd? That doesn't make sense because RFE's usually have a deadline of 90 days. But even if that were the case and the deadline was indeed March 2nd, why did you submit the requested evidence on March 3rd AFTER the deadline?

2 minutes ago, Mounat02 said:

I'm confused. Are you referring to the RFE from January 24th as the "original" RFE with a deadline of March 2nd? That doesn't make sense because RFE's usually have a deadline of 90 days. But even if that were the case and the deadline was indeed March 2nd, why did you submit the requested evidence on March 3rd AFTER the deadline?

I see that I have made a mistake there, I actually mailed the evidence and was received by USCIS on February 2nd not March like I had indicated earlier. The RFE deadline was indeed March 2nd and I'm not sure why it had such a tight deadline but they essentially gave me a month to send the stuff they wanted. So I sent in what they requested about a month earlier than the deadline they gave me but it seems like they've only updated my status after the March 2nd deadline. Knowing USCIS, I would venture a guess that they didn't bother to look at what I sent until the deadline was passed. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Demian_Bones said:

I see that I have made a mistake there, I actually mailed the evidence and was received by USCIS on February 2nd not March like I had indicated earlier. The RFE deadline was indeed March 2nd and I'm not sure why it had such a tight deadline but they essentially gave me a month to send the stuff they wanted. So I sent in what they requested about a month earlier than the deadline they gave me but it seems like they've only updated my status after the March 2nd deadline. Knowing USCIS, I would venture a guess that they didn't bother to look at what I sent until the deadline was passed. 

Now it makes sense. In that case, you won't know what's in the second RFE until it arrives. And, just as likely, the officer or RFE processor may have fat-fingered the "send another RFE" button. It's only been 6 days so watch some premier league games and binge on Netflix while you wait. They may just realize their error and approve the case without admitting any errors. :D

21 minutes ago, Fahad86 said:

If you dont mind can you tell us what kind of evidence they wanted from you and what did you submitted. Based on 3 year did you and spouse file taxes together? also have bank accounts together. Financial co mingling goes a long way. 

They asked stuff like joint taxes for the last 3 years, w2 from my employer and letter stating what my claimed marital status is and who is listed as my emergency contact. Most of the other stuff they're asking like lease and joint taxes and bank statements, I had already submitted in my original application, I suppose they just didn't bother to look at what I had sent. Even during the interview I had brought all the stuff they're asking for in the RFE and asked if the officer wanted to look at it and she said no and that she was satisfied with what I had. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Demian_Bones said:

They asked stuff like joint taxes for the last 3 years, w2 from my employer and letter stating what my claimed marital status is and who is listed as my emergency contact. Most of the other stuff they're asking like lease and joint taxes and bank statements, I had already submitted in my original application, I suppose they just didn't bother to look at what I had sent. Even during the interview I had brought all the stuff they're asking for in the RFE and asked if the officer wanted to look at it and she said no and that she was satisfied with what I had. 

It is totally ignorance from Immigration officer that he did not bother to ask at the interview rather sending a RFE. Sorry you have to go through this hopefully good news is just round the corner. 

I think IO already made her mind to send you RFE. How did the interview went? Did she gave you the letter decision cannot be made or recommended for approval?

Edited by Fahad86

3 minutes ago, Fahad86 said:

It is totally ignorance from Immigration officer that he did not bother to ask at the interview rather sending a RFE. Sorry you have to go through this hopefully good news is just round the corner. 

I think IO already made her mind to send you RFE. How did the interview went? Did she gave you the letter decision cannot be made or recommended for approval?

The interview was very smooth and cordial and I was even joking with the IO. She didn't really ask much, just conducted the civics portion and just asked a few basic questions and then handed me the 'decision cannot be made' letter. When I asked why she said that she hadn't actually looked at my file and she will review it and then started talking about the oath letter and how long I can expect to receive. Thats why I was surprised to see the RFE status update afterwards. Anyway, I was wondering how long I can expect to receive a decision now that they've received my evidence.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
4 hours ago, Demian_Bones said:

When I asked why she said that she hadn't actually looked at my file 

Look at that! What’s the point in asking applicants to submit evidence before the interview then? 

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Same thing happened with a friend of mine recently in Oakland Park, FL field office. 
They wanted to see child support evidence of his children living abroad which even though was included on his original submission they wanted and updated one so they gave him an RFE to which he replied via mail to the office. 
Estrange thing is he later saw a second RFE on his account. I checked the mail tracking number for the response he sent and surprise it was delivered the same day the “Second RFE” was issued. I told him to wait until he receive it and was suspecting it was a glitch,  4-5 days later the status changed to Approved.  I guess that “second rfe” was the officer just putting the info about receiving the documents for the first RFE and at some point messed up. Their system is full of glitches and the are humans that make mistakes on top of that. Hope your case is the same and your approval is coming!

Good Luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.