FreyandRyan

Over 5 week wait for SSN?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My wife recently moved over here on a k1, we got married a week and a half ago, and back in January during her first week here we went and applied for a SSN. They said it had to be manually verified and it could take up to 4 weeks. It’s been over 5 now and we haven’t heard anything. When we check the SAVE status system it says “case returned to agency” in Maryland. It has said that for a few weeks though. Is this normal for it to be this long?

4 minutes ago, FreyandRyan said:

My wife recently moved over here on a k1, we got married a week and a half ago, and back in January during her first week here we went and applied for a SSN. They said it had to be manually verified and it could take up to 4 weeks. It’s been over 5 now and we haven’t heard anything. When we check the SAVE status system it says “case returned to agency” in Maryland. It has said that for a few weeks though. Is this normal for it to be this long?

Unless you applied for the SSN before 75 days of entering, and usually with her maiden name, you will have to wait until the EAD or green card is approved.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

They should have given you a letter that you applied for a SSN. You can go back to the SS office with that letter and ask them to check the status since it has been over 4 weeks. When my wife arrived on a K1 we went to the SS office the next day ( Only 18 hours after POE) and she was in the SAVE system, and had her card in a week. Came thru LAX as POE.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

They should have given you a letter that you applied for a SSN. You can go back to the SS office with that letter and ask them to check the status since it has been over 4 weeks. When my wife arrived on a K1 we went to the SS office the next day ( Only 18 hours after POE) and she was in the SAVE system, and had her card in a week. Came thru LAX as POE.

We do have a letter they gave us then. She’s in the SAVE system but it’s just seems to be stuck at case returned to agency. 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

Unless you applied for the SSN before 75 days of entering, and usually with her maiden name, you will have to wait until the EAD or green card is approved.

What do mean before entering? You can’t apply for a SSN before entering the US on a K1. 

Timeline
Just now, FreyandRyan said:

We do have a letter they gave us then. She’s in the SAVE system but it’s just seems to be stuck at case returned to agency. 

I just checked my wifes SAVE system entries, and they all say the same thing, case returned to agency. There are only two options according to the FAC's section, that it will say processing, or returned to agency. When it says returned to agency it means case is complete and information was verified. She has 3 entries, 2 from the DMV, and the last one February 14th from the SSA in Maryland, as we just removed the DHS wording on her SS card. We went into the office on the 13th of February, and I see it was verified on the 14th, and we received her card the following Saturday, so I think you may have an issue with your card as all the times we are in the save system, and it says case returned to agency less than a week later we received SS card, or her State ID, so the system seems to work.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

1 minute ago, FreyandRyan said:

What do mean before entering? You can’t apply for a SSN before entering the US on a K1. 

SSA only issues cards on or before the 75th day of the I-94 validity. (Your 90 days to wed)   After that they will only issue a card after EAD or GC.

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

Timeline
3 minutes ago, FreyandRyan said:

He meant you have to apply within 75 days of entry thru POE, because if you wait until day 76 the SS office will not process your application as there has to be more than 14 days left on your I94.

2 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

SSA only issues cards on or before the 75th day of the I-94 validity. (Your 90 days to wed)   After that they will only issue a card after EAD or GC.

And it would be in the maiden name.   You needed to apply before marriage and as soon as you can after entering the US.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, FreyandRyan said:

173933199_Webp.net-resizeimage(7).jpg.fd3b064b6b5197f7731c4eb092dc6251.jpgI would take this letter and return to check the status.

Timeline
41 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

173933199_Webp.net-resizeimage(7).jpg.fd3b064b6b5197f7731c4eb092dc6251.jpgI would take this letter and return to check the status.

Thank you. Yes that’s the one. Looks like we’re heading back in to the office then. 

Timeline
45 minutes ago, FreyandRyan said:

Thank you. Yes that’s the one. Looks like we’re heading back in to the office then. 

Yes, I know it usually isn't a fun time, but some offices allow you to make a appointment now, says at bottom of the letter. That might make it easier. I know it does at the DMV.

17 hours ago, FreyandRyan said:

We had the same thing. We went back to the office with the letter as well. No joy. We had to wait until my wife received her Green Card to get the SSN. She got her GC relatively fast so the EAD didn't apply. Luckily she doesn't work so it wasn't a hardship for us. Good Luck)

Edited by boris64

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Head back to the office soon to try to move this along, because once you get to the 75th day from her entry into the USA the SSA folks will throw up their hands and say "Sorry, nothing more we can do, wait 4-14 months for your EAD/green card."  And that's inconvenient.

I applied for SSN in August right after arrival. After 5 weeks nothing (said returned to agency) so I went to the office and asked what was going on and got a standard response however my SSN arrived a week later with the issue date the day after I went to the office 😳

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.