28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Scott001 said:

Is it possible to remarry in a 3rd (another) country and have that one recognized by USCIS? 

Not without legal evidence that ALL previous marriages were properly terminated.....but, yes, USCIS recognizes legal marriage from any country.

If the OP's second marriage is not legal, then he could marry in another country.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I guess I don't get if the marriage isn't recognized by USCIS then why would they recognize that marriage being terminated. I guess it's just a case of USCIS recognizing both marriages but you can't be married to two people at once. 

I-130                                                                 I-129F

Spoiler

Mailed: Mar. 9, 2019 (Phoenix LB)              Aug. 9,  2019

Delivered: Mar. 12, 2019                               Aug. 12, 2019

NOA1/PD: Mar. 15,  2019 (LIN)                   Aug. 15,  2019

NOA2: Sep. 24, 2019 - Approved                 Sep. 24, 2019 - Denied 

I-130 sent to NVC: Oct. 8, 2019

Received NVC: Oct. 18, 2019

NVC Case#: Nov. 09, 2019 (Assigned to China, should be Japan )

AOS Submitted: Nov. 18, 2019

IV Submitted:  Dec. 23, 2019

AOS/IV Approved: Jan. 16, 2020 

Interview Scheduled: Jan. 23, 2020

Request location change: Mid Nov. 2019 --> Feb. 21, 2020

Contacted my Reps (House, Senate): Feb. 5, 2020 - Rep contacted Guangzhou & Tokyo. 

Response 1: Feb. 11, 2020 - Guangzhou gave copy/paste info to my Rep's office.

Response 2: Feb. 18, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy - Requested transfer fm China - Case moved to Administrative Processing 

A Short Time Later after talking with Rep. Case's office, they contacted the embassies again. 

Response 3: Feb. 21, 2020 - Transfer complete; New interview scheduled.

Interview Date: Mar. 2, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy 

Interview Result: Approved

Visa Issued: Mar. 4, 2020

Visa in hand: Mar. 6, 2020

Time: ~359 Days from start to finish 

POE:  Stupid COVID-19 delaying travel to the US....

POE: Aug. 13, 2020 - San Francisco 

SSN: Oct. 23, 2020

GC: Aug 5, 2021 (51 weeks from entry)

I-751

NOA1 - May 20, 2022 CA Service Center

NOA2 - July 20, 2022 Case Transfered to NBC

NOA3 - Mar 6, 2023 48 month GC extension letter

NOA4 - Sep 1, 2023 Biometrics Appointment 

Update - Oct 6, 2023 Case status update to show fingerprints taken  

:clock:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, Scott001 said:

I guess I don't get if the marriage isn't recognized by USCIS then why would they recognize that marriage being terminated. I guess it's just a case of USCIS recognizing both marriages but you can't be married to two people at once. 

You are correct.  If the second marriage isn't legal, it would not have to be terminated.....He would just have to now have a legal marriage......Sorry, I was stating in general terms.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

May be legal where they married and many places do not allow you to re marry without being divorced.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 hour ago, Scott001 said:

The issue is that the marriage IS legal in Palestine and is entirely valid, since polygamy is legal there. But it’s not legal in the US. So in order to get married again properly for US immigration, he has to get divorced first, since the marriage is legally valid in Palestine and presumably must be dissolved first before he can marry his wife again

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

7 hours ago, Ayoubsaid said:

I am legally married in the state of Palestine. The date on the marriage license we have is Oct 22 2017.  But my divorce papers in the us didn’t finish til Oct 26 2017. 

Now you see how important reviewing, double-checking AND triple-checking your information on your application is before submitting. The officers are trained to scrutinize every detail on the application sent to them.

Hopefully you correct the error....good luck!

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

I’m assuming you’re a USC or at the very least a LPR who is no doubt aware of poligomy laws in America, therefore I fail to see how you didn’t realise you were married to two people at the same time or why you didn’t think that this would not be a problem at some point.. 

all spousal visa forms have you list dates of marriage/ divorce etc and provide relevant documents to support these dates.. it would be near impossible for you to have not realised this at some point prior to the interview that the dates didn’t line up and that under US law you were not leagally free to take on a second wife making it null and void. 

Im sorry for your visa denial, more so I’m sorry for the time and money you’ve wasted with processing your application but I must say that ignorance or self-denial toward US marriage and/or divorce laws is kind of inexcusable and you really shouldn’t be surprised by the visas denial irrespective of where the second marriage took place and/or under what laws. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Duke & Marie
Typo

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

3 hours ago, Scott001 said:

This is where it becomes a mess . . .

Since he married in Palestine, where bigamy is legal, he should have a divorce, preferably there.

Once he is free to marry (from a US perspective) then they can remarry.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Add to injury,  in islamic law, you cannot marry wife after divorcing unless you marry another person and divorce,  only then you can marry the same person again. So if he divorces , he cannot marry her again according to Islamic law. I assume Palestine have islamic law unless they recognize other forms of marraiges too, because I know in Pakistan if you divorce your wife, you cannot remarry her unless she gets married tk another guy for atleast 3 days and this is practiced in many other parts of islamic world as well, not sure about Palestinian laws

1 hour ago, Abcd1234 said:

Add to injury,  in islamic law, you cannot marry wife after divorcing unless you marry another person and divorce,  only then you can marry the same person again. So if he divorces , he cannot marry her again according to Islamic law. I assume Palestine have islamic law unless they recognize other forms of marraiges too, because I know in Pakistan if you divorce your wife, you cannot remarry her unless she gets married tk another guy for atleast 3 days and this is practiced in many other parts of islamic world as well, not sure about Palestinian laws

They can marry in another country. Not sure if their faith, or swift immigration process, is most important for them.

1 hour ago, Lemonslice said:

They can marry in another country. Not sure if their faith, or swift immigration process, is most important for them.

yes third country is definitely an option, that way they may not have to change marraige date on Palestinian documents as well as it may not be possible to change it, and just use marraige certificate from 3rd country for immigration, instead of Palestinian marraige certificate and if immigration officer brings issue of marraige certificate of palestine that was used before, just explain that it was not valid marraige according to US laws, so it was basically invalid to begin with and that we travelled to 3rd country and got married there.

however, one thing to keep in mind, (again not sure of palestinian laws)but most muslim countries list husband name in passport. so if they are traveling abroad to marry and have husband name in passport then that third country may ask for divorce certificate first in order to marry,

also check marrige law of that 3rd country first they may have same islamic laws or similar laws which prevent remarraige.

many countries ask for no objection certificate from the embassy of applicants in order to marry if both individuals are foriegners so better to avoid those countries, as it could be hard to get that certificate given you are married in palestinian documents.

some countries dont allow two forigners to marry at all, atleast one have to be permanent resident of that country or region or union, so check before you decide a country

and ofcourse third country most likely require visa for palestinian passport and could be hard to get one with palestinian passport, so choosing country with no visa requirement would be better.   so lot to consider before deciding.

So for all that, may be divorce in palestinian papers first before travelling abroad to marry could be the only solution, (or like i said before, palestine may not have strict islamic laws like other islamic countries and may allow to remarry after divorce which would be the best case senario . Must check local laws before making decision.)

small mistakes sometimes cost too much so better plan good for next time with everything in mind, and double checking laws of US, palestine and 3rd contry if that comes the choice.

wishing you good luck, i know it is hard to live apart specially in pain like this.

Edited by Abcd1234

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
21 hours ago, Unknown1234543 said:

Hello 

Where to begin. When I was 18 I was dumb and made the mistake of eloping. After a couple months me and the girl decided we had made a mistake. I moved over seas to Palestine and she stayed in America. While over seas we decided to start our divorce papers which took Roughly a year . During that time I had met another girl who lived in Palestine. After sometime we decided to get married. In Islamic culture before the wedding we do an official marriage contract. Which we did 2 months before our wedding. We got married and lived in Palestine for a year together before deciding to start her cr1 visa application. Everything went smoothly, we had our interview ,co said everything was fine but we were missing documents. He advised us to send the missing documents as well as her passport back to the embassy and they would issue a visa. Fast forward to today and we received her passport back saying her papers will be sent back to uscis under ina 212 a 5. Upon searching that code I discovered it was a code regarding work, which she wasn’t going to do because her occupation is a homemaker. So I decided to email the embassy and this what they sent back “Thank you for contacting us. The refusal code you see on the refusal sheet pertains to your case, in which it was found that the relationship between you and the applicant is not valid for immigration purposes. Specifically, it was found that you were still married to your first spouse when you contracted with your current one. As a result, we are returning the petition to the USCIS for further action and possible revocation. If USCIS determines that the information we are providing would provide a sufficient foundation for initiating revocation proceedings, it will send the petitioner a notice of intent to revoke that includes a statement of the facts and evidence, and you will have the opportunity to respond.”

So after receiving this I decided to check the date on my divorce paper and new marriage certificate and BAM there’s a 5 day difference. I never thought to check the dates the whole divorce situation happened while I was overseas. When I got married overseas to my knowledge my divorce had already been processed but boy was I wrong. What do I do now. I am fully divorced and happily married To my wife. Please any help would be appreciated.

Divore date October 26 2017

Current: October 22 2017 

You need to re-marry your current wife and refile with USCIS.  No way around it.

On your divorce from 1st wife, make sure your divorce papers say  Final Decree or at least shows Irrevocable Divorce.

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

• 10 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Hijack post removed. Do not post questions to your own case in other members thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.