TimothyLeeFoss

Travel Ban and K1 Visa, allowed entry?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
On 2/11/2020 at 3:51 PM, Parris & Tiffany said:

You are not alone, my fiancée with her k-1 visa issued in December 2019, was ready for March 2nd to come to Los Angeles, CA. Unfortunately her flight was cancelled last week for Air China. Originally my fiancée works in Futian-Shenzhen, China. She is still stuck in her hometown in the countryside in Hunan Province while visiting her family before the crazy national lockdown took place.

I am in the United States as trying to figure out what's best to do for her but now it's just to wait to see what will our US Gov't will do. As I've been reading the new proclamation over and over, it seems there is no way yet for any Chinese citizens or any foreigners who visited China for the last 14days to come to the US since February 2nd that was announced. I am on standby to book any flights for her to come America from Guangzhou or Shenzhen directly to USA.

I am interested in your stance as well because we are kinda on the same boat, but for me already in United States.
I am investigating this what you said for K-1 visa holders from China being let through at US Port of entry, but I don't have an answer yet.

My fiance is also in Shenzhen ( Longhua) quick question how long is the visa good for?

My Fiance's interview should be sometime in May but we are wondering how long after getting approved will she have to travel to US...i'm sure this was answered elsewhere :bonk:

Timeline
On 2/13/2020 at 2:38 PM, TimothyLeeFoss said:

So, the official reply I got from U.S. CBP is that K-1 will not be allowed in. However, I am in a WeChat group with about 200 Chinese K-1 cases, and many are reporting that they were allowed in.

Personally, we have decided to not take the risk, and are flying to Malaysia for 2 weeks, then we will fly back to America. The hardest part right now is finding a country that will even let my Fiance transit through on our way home. Pretty much all flights from Asia to America currently transfer through Taiwan (Chinese citizens are currently banned completely), South Korea (also completely banned), or Japan (banned if you are from certain provinces, and the list is growing).

Afraid that after our two weeks in Malaysia we won't even be able to find a flight to America that she can take.

any chance i could get added to that Wechat group? 😅

Timeline
On 3/3/2020 at 12:17 PM, Parris & Tiffany said:

Update to this, with all the cluster going on now in East Asia and Europe no way connecting or near those areas. In order to leave before my fiancee's K-1 expires on June 1st. The plan still set for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia route with 30day visa and 14plus days there and then to Doha, Qatar or Dubai and land on the Eastern cities like Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport or Washington D.C Dulles Airport.

Back to the update I tried to investigate on weChat group saying some people got in, well I can't confirm if it's true, I called many US gov't authorities and said K-1 visa holders with Chinese passport cannot enter US if they just came from Mainland China. 

sorry i asked you before reading this! 🤣

On 3/3/2020 at 5:36 PM, Parris & Tiffany said:

Thank you for sharing your experience I will reference this if going this route. Mind I ask what airliner you use to fly from China to Kula Lumpur? Did you flew from Guangzhou, China?

No problem, hope it helps. I flew AirAsia from Guangzhou to Kuala Lumpur, and I don't reccomend it. It's cheap, but terrible plane, and the bag cost was ridiculous. We didn't pre-buy our baggage online, and they charged us about $500 for 3 bags of normal size and weight at the airport. Crazy.

Edited by TimothyLeeFoss
Added info

Timeline
Just now, TimothyLeeFoss said:

I can get you added if you want, but can you read and write Chinese? There's no English in the group, everyone uses Chinese, it's mostly the Chinese Fiance's, not the Americans.

Yeah and i'd actually like it more or less for my fiance as well  and i lived in China for 5 years so wechat is life for me 🤣 ill send you a message

Timeline
2 hours ago, Alex and Olivia said:

My fiance is also in Shenzhen ( Longhua) quick question how long is the visa good for?

My Fiance's interview should be sometime in May but we are wondering how long after getting approved will she have to travel to US...i'm sure this was answered elsewhere :bonk:

visa is good for roughly 6 months. My fianceé got her visa in December. 

Timeline

Update for people who have their fiancé or fiancée with their K-1 Visa in hand and still in China because of the US travel restriction, I emailed Guangzhou consulate to ask and see what they would do. They said, "Once the proclamation is lifted, if your visa is expired, please contact them through webform and explain your situation. Hopefully they eventually extend the visa due to this SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) worldwide health crisis. 
https://china.usembassy-china.org.cn/visas/immigrant-visas/contact-us/immigrant-visa-unit-question/

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 02.15.58.png

• 2 months later...
On 3/8/2020 at 11:21 PM, Parris & Tiffany said:

Update for people who have their fiancé or fiancée with their K-1 Visa in hand and still in China because of the US travel restriction, I emailed Guangzhou consulate to ask and see what they would do. They said, "Once the proclamation is lifted, if your visa is expired, please contact them through webform and explain your situation. Hopefully they eventually extend the visa due to this SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) worldwide health crisis. 
https://china.usembassy-china.org.cn/visas/immigrant-visas/contact-us/immigrant-visa-unit-question/

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 02.15.58.png

Is your fiancé in US now, or waiting for the travel ban lifted and get visa re-issued?

Timeline
48 minutes ago, Yu1988 said:

Is your fiancé in US now, or waiting for the travel ban lifted and get visa re-issued?

She is still waiting for the travel ban to be lifted and get the visa re-issued. 

Are you considering restarting the K-1 visa process and re-filing the I-129F, or finding out if the visa can get re-issued? My fiancee is in the same boat with an expired K-1 visa, but there are no guidelines for re-issuing K-1. I'm worried the consulate will take the easy way out and just tell us to reapply from scratch.

6 minutes ago, Plaxerous said:

My fiancee is in the same boat with an expired K-1 visa, but there are no guidelines for re-issuing K-1. I'm worried the consulate will take the easy way out and just tell us to reapply from scratch.

There is Department of State policy on this since she was unable to travel due to circumstances out of her control.  She will need a new DS-160, medical and interview.  A new I-134 most likely as well.

True it hasn't been used or talked about much before because there has never been a global shutdown like this before.  It was rarer then a K1 revalidation which we do see on VJ occasionally. 

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

China to US travel restriction started January 31, 2020, and some who have their K-1 visa already are stuck till travel restrictions to rescind. To get more interactions, I created a K-1 Visa China Only Group in Facebook Groups. PM me if you want to join, if you have a Facebook account. 
This private group is to keep in touch through this pandemic travel restriction, create friends, and share each other strategies on how to bring your loved ones to the United States.
Other than that, I am willing to help out who are still in their China to USA K-1s processes. 
COVID-19 Pandemic and US/China relations keep it not a steady path so far but let's hope there will be the light to return to normal. 
加油大家!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.