laylalex

I Feel Personally Judged by J. Lo’s Body

18 posts in this topic

Women watch a 15-minute show featuring elite entertainers and, in some cases, end up feeling bad about ourselves.

Men, meanwhile, watch a three-hour game, played by elite athletes with single-digit body fat, and most won’t feel a single twinge of self-doubt, or miss a single chip from the nacho platter.

Women see inspiration or goals we’ve failed to attain or a pretty stick to beat ourselves up with. We hear a voice (sponsored by Weight Watchers and Revlon and Planet Fitness and Jenny Craig) whispering This can be yours, if you just work hard enough. Men see entertainment, athletes who exist on a different plane than mere mortals. Their inner voice whispers, Are there any more nachos? I don’t even think it would occur to them to feel bad, or try to emulate what they saw.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/04/opinion/jlo-superbowl-performance.html

I'm 34, so I'm still (I think) on the right side of the "You Must Be This Hot in Order to Participate" sign (that's what the author calls it, not me!), but I do agree that a lot of the comparison-making that's being done is by women comparing themselves to other women. I take care of myself in my body and my mind, and don't intend to give up on either as I get older. My mom is almost 65 and has been a great role model for this. She looked great at 50 but she wasn't poledancing -- she prefers the treadmill and Pilates. (Agree with her on the Pilates.) But if I get to 50 and I'm a little saggy despite all the care I'm putting in, I'm going to try to be easy on myself. Maybe I'll even let my inner voice whisper, Are there any more nachos?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Probably says it better than I can put it into words.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

If you ever wanted to know what going out for the evening is like with my sister, you can just refer to this clip. (Although she usually makes sure someone gets her on the list before going to avoid having to be reminded that she's old.)

Timeline

So who is the pregnant one? I always found it goes in stages, with a slump, sometimes associated with a slight recovery. Very very few have good enough genes to noticeably stop the trend despite all the lotions, 

You tend to think of those who try too hard or are too desperate and you wonder if they have no friends to tell them to ease off. Meg Ryan comes to mind.

Anyway supports a Billion Dollar industry. And it is not as if most people do not have an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Probably says it better than I can put it into words.

Is that a family friendly clip?  LOL

At least those were not your words!

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Timeline

Hmm, well they were not happy and to be honest I just remembered the clip and not the verbiage.

35 minutes ago, Boiler said:

So who is the pregnant one? I always found it goes in stages, with a slump, sometimes associated with a slight recovery. Very very few have good enough genes to noticeably stop the trend despite all the lotions, 

You tend to think of those who try too hard or are too desperate and you wonder if they have no friends to tell them to ease off. Meg Ryan comes to mind.

Anyway supports a Billion Dollar industry. And it is not as if most people do not have an issue.

Neither of us are the pregnant one. She says wants a baby but no marriage, and I want a marriage but (probably) no baby. Maybe she should marry Alex and I should marry her boyfriend? Actually, scratch that, I think she'd like that. She hit on Al at my first wedding. (I have never forgotten this.)

Meg Ryan - what a shame what she did to her face. Just totally unnecessary. There are so many others -- all I have to do is walk out my door and I see evidence of it in "normal" women just walking around here. Why make your lips look like that? Why make your boobies so large? It all looks fake, not beautiful. :( 

Timeline

Even blokes notice, well if it is very obvious. I remember talking to a lady in the Brew Pub, caked on, always wondered what she looked like underneath all that, if I would even recognise her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
9 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Meg Ryan - what a shame what she did to her face. Just totally unnecessary. There are so many others -- all I have to do is walk out my door and I see evidence of it in "normal" women just walking around here. Why make your lips look like that? Why make your boobies so large? It all looks fake, not beautiful. :( 

Yes.  I do some Botox and fillers for select patients and friends, but it always disturbs me to see "duck lips" on some people, especially celebs.

I always thought that a really good result is one that was not so noticable.   Maybe I'm wrong.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

2 minutes ago, Neonred said:

Yes.  I do some Botox and fillers for select patients and friends, but it always disturbs me to see "duck lips" on some people, especially celebs.

I always thought that a really good result is one that was not so noticable.   Maybe I'm wrong.

I absolutely agree with you that a little filler here and there that is done sensitively and a light hand is not a bad thing at all. My mom has had some Juvederm and Botox and she looks fresh and rested and age-appropriate. My sister has had some small tweaks on her lips (she finally admitted it) but again, not obvious. They look plush as opposed to Donatella Versace level of big.

I don't care one bit about JLO's body and don't feel the slightest bit disturbed that she is by all accounts more fit than me. The girl can climb a pole, but hey so could the big girl dancers at Lizzo concerts so good on her. How is she hanging on, my husband asked? Very strong thighs, I said. And to be fair, back in the day before my body crapped out, I probably could of hung onto a pole too. Once had a MMA fighter try and leg wrestle me, and though I didn't win I did give him a fight. Yoga helps and knowing some martial arts.

But sure, there's a huge pressure on women and girls to look a certain way.. and mostly the way is not that beautiful. To be fair, guys get a similar treatment. We shouldn't live in fear of age and sag or try and turn ourselves into something we're not. Going gray? Who cares. Going bald? It's beautiful. Honestly wish people could work more on their empathy and kindness rather than appearances.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

2 hours ago, laylalex said:
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Even blokes notice, well if it is very obvious. I remember talking to a lady in the Brew Pub, caked on, always wondered what she looked like underneath all that, if I would even recognise her.

This is a big problem in the Philippines because of you can afford it then the woman will have some type of whitening cream on their face and their arms. They are sincerely trying to become as white as possible when all the white women are trying to become tan like them. I had a pretty woman hit on me in the market in my wife's hometown. She was honestly very pretty but had that cream literally caked on her face and arms it was sad. 

BTW good luck trying to find sun cream under SPF50 without skin whitening.

3 hours ago, yuna628 said:

I don't care one bit about JLO's body and don't feel the slightest bit disturbed that she is by all accounts more fit than me. The girl can climb a pole, but hey so could the big girl dancers at Lizzo concerts so good on her. How is she hanging on, my husband asked? Very strong thighs, I said. And to be fair, back in the day before my body crapped out, I probably could of hung onto a pole too. Once had a MMA fighter try and leg wrestle me, and though I didn't win I did give him a fight. Yoga helps and knowing some martial arts.

But sure, there's a huge pressure on women and girls to look a certain way.. and mostly the way is not that beautiful. To be fair, guys get a similar treatment. We shouldn't live in fear of age and sag or try and turn ourselves into something we're not. Going gray? Who cares. Going bald? It's beautiful. Honestly wish people could work more on their empathy and kindness rather than appearances.

On the bright side, once you go bald, you stop worrying about going gray.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
5 hours ago, laylalex said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/04/opinion/jlo-superbowl-performance.html

I'm 34, so I'm still (I think) on the right side of the "You Must Be This Hot in Order to Participate" sign (that's what the author calls it, not me!), but I do agree that a lot of the comparison-making that's being done is by women comparing themselves to other women. I take care of myself in my body and my mind, and don't intend to give up on either as I get older. My mom is almost 65 and has been a great role model for this. She looked great at 50 but she wasn't poledancing -- she prefers the treadmill and Pilates. (Agree with her on the Pilates.) But if I get to 50 and I'm a little saggy despite all the care I'm putting in, I'm going to try to be easy on myself. Maybe I'll even let my inner voice whisper, Are there any more nachos?

this is why it is important to hone your sammich making skills at an early age.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!