Senior Frog

medicaid while sponsor the husband

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

How will she come up with the $24K needed to provide you health insurance plus deductible?

Edited by Mike E

Public charge is only relevant to immigrants. as a USC, your wife can use any and all welfare programs they are eligible for without impacting you, as long as you aren’t added to any of those plans.

visa Issued

6 minutes ago, SorrowL said:

Public charge is only relevant to immigrants. as a USC, your wife can use any and all welfare programs they are eligible for without impacting you, as long as you aren’t added to any of those plans.

True. But the sponsor being on public assistance programs is a factor in totality of circumstances.

Per the FAM: https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030208.html#M302_8_2_B_2

(c)  (U) Receipt of Means-Tested Benefits by the Sponsor:

(i)     (U) The sponsor's past or current receipt of means-tested benefits is a factor in support of a finding of inadmissibility for the applicant under INA 212(a)(4), insofar as it affects the applicant’s resources and financial status, including  the sponsor’s ability to support the applicant.   

(ii)    (U) If the sponsor or any member of his or her household has received public means-tested benefits within the past three years, you must review fully the sponsor's current ability to provide the requisite level of support, taking into consideration the kind of assistance provided and the dates received.

(iii)    (U) You must review carefully Form I-864 or Form I-134 and all attachments submitted with Form I-134, as well as evidence of the sponsor's current financial circumstances, in such cases.

(iv)   (U) See 9 FAM 302.8-2(C) for more information on the affidavit of support. 

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 minute ago, geowrian said:

True. But the sponsor being on public assistance programs is a factor in totality of circumstances.

I can totally understand that, but I’m regards to public charge on the immigrant after admission, it isn’t a factor. It would be good if OP got a joint sponsor just in case.

Edited by SorrowL

visa Issued

Just now, Senior Frog said:

she is not really need to has this amount of money, i can buy health insurance while outside US for $780 for one year (365 days)
isn't enough by new law ?

No insurance plan for $780/year is going to be worth the paper it is written on when you actually need to use it. At the very least, it will not be ACA compliant.

Many plans like that obtained abroad do not cover new immigrants - they are visitors. In which case they would not pay out at all.

I suggest looking at other options (employer-based insurance, the healthcare exchange, etc.).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

3 minutes ago, SorrowL said:

I can totally understand that, but I’m regards to public charge on the immigrant after admission, it isn’t a factor. It would be good if OP got a joint sponsor just in case.

From the prior quote: "If the sponsor or any member of his or her household has received public means-tested benefits within the past three years, you must review fully the sponsor's current ability to provide the requisite level of support, taking into consideration the kind of assistance provided and the dates received."

Stopping now won't do anything.

But yes, after admission, her use of benefits is not a factor in any way.

Edit; To be clear, I agree that a joint sponsor is likely needed here.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

8 minutes ago, SorrowL said:

i heard somewhere that the sponsor should cut off the medicaid in order to prove he can support the immigrant and we are very confused now.

1 minute ago, Senior Frog said:

i heard somewhere that the sponsor should cut off the medicaid in order to prove he can support the immigrant and we are very confused now.

Cutting off now won’t change anything as per geowrian’s post.

I suggest you get a joint sponsor just in case they aren’t satisfied.

visa Issued

11 minutes ago, geowrian said:

10 minutes ago, SorrowL said:

9 minutes ago, geowrian said:

No insurance plan for $780/year is going to be worth the paper it is written on when you actually need to use it. At the very least, it will not be ACA compliant.

Many plans like that obtained abroad do not cover new immigrants - they are visitors. In which case they would not pay out at all.

I suggest looking at other options (employer-based insurance, the healthcare exchange, etc.).

7 minutes ago, geowrian said:

From the prior quote: "If the sponsor or any member of his or her household has received public means-tested benefits within the past three years, you must review fully the sponsor's current ability to provide the requisite level of support, taking into consideration the kind of assistance provided and the dates received."

Stopping now won't do anything.

But yes, after admission, her use of benefits is not a factor in any way.

Edit; To be clear, I agree that a joint sponsor is likely needed here.

4 minutes ago, SorrowL said:

Cutting off now won’t change anything as per geowrian’s post.

I suggest you get a joint sponsor just in case they aren’t satisfied.

OK. but is that mean they will ignore her income and be refused just for her medicaid ? i mean she has really good income, it will not be even enough if she used medicaid ?

thanks

1 minute ago, geowrian said:

It will be a negative factor. It does not mean they will ignore her income. It is one part of the totality of the circumstances.

Although how she has Medicaid with "really good income" is a bit confusing. Medicaid is income-restricted. Some states are more restrictive than others, but the idea is the same anywhere.

she was divorced with 2 kids when she got it. and she never got any kind of support but medicaid
i mean she wasn't eligible for any another kind of support cause her income.

29 minutes ago, geowrian said:

i can confirm to you this insurance is for new immigrants with 0 deductible
i can provide you a link if its not against the forums law.

EDIT: oh sorry that was $780/month

Edited by Senior Frog

Filed: Timeline
6 minutes ago, Senior Frog said:

i can confirm to you this insurance is for new immigrants with 0 deductible
i can provide you a link if its not against the forums law.

Each state has their own requirements for medicaid but generally a person needs to be making less then 200% of the poverty guidelines. Most states are in the 133% range.  As explained her use of medicaid will be considered as a negative factor but that doesnt mean she will not be approved. They will look at the totality of the circumstances so perhaps do a bit of research into the other things they look at and see where you all fall overall.

If you can please post a link to the health plan you are considering that would be great. Links are allowed generally as long as its not spam or an advertisement. Its very likely that what you are looking at is temp insurance or some other type of limited N/A plan as health insurance is a popular topic on here and I assure you there is no legitimate plan option for 780/year with no deductible out there. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.