markandoliv

Turbotax is requiring that i upgrade to deluxe package to file taxes jointly?

23 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

It was a question for the PA resident look into if interested in options and a bad typo as well. I’m not that interested in State income tax since I don’t have one so not looking it up. And I meant to say AZ allows different status filing for fed and state. Not sure what other states require. 

Thanks. I legitimately wasn't sure if it was a question or not.

IIRC, PA does allow filing with different status than federal. At least that was the case a few years ago.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
6 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Thanks. I legitimately wasn't sure if it was a question or not.

IIRC, PA does allow filing with different status than federal. At least that was the case a few years ago.

I understand. It made no sense to me either when you pointed it out. 

In that case, do you think the USC could file PA state as MFS, and a new immigrant spouse with no job yet would not file state because no income received while in PA.  Much like the new immigrant does not have to file federal if no US income. Meanwhile they file joint on Federal to get the benefit of the extra standard deduction on a joint return. I don’t actually know the whole status of the PA person or the income source since it was mostly a comment that TurboTax confused them for not taking off the foreign income. 

21 hours ago, markandoliv said:

So as far as youre aware, its a requirement to upgrade turbotax if married filing jointly (assuming foreign spouse worked in home country before coming to US on k1)?

Just checking on here before i pay for it. 

Use a different service, don't let Turbo Tax rip you off. 

17 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I understand. It made no sense to me either when you pointed it out. 

In that case, do you think the USC could file PA state as MFS, and a new immigrant spouse with no job yet would not file state because no income received while in PA.  Much like the new immigrant does not have to file federal if no US income. Meanwhile they file joint on Federal to get the benefit of the extra standard deduction on a joint return. I don’t actually know the whole status of the PA person or the income source since it was mostly a comment that TurboTax confused them for not taking off the foreign income. 

Assuming the ability to file differently hasn't changed, then yes. That is what others I know did.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
21 hours ago, markandoliv said:

We are looking into tax professionals, but been unable to find any, nesr where we live in north Carolina that mention any familiarity with immigration tax rules and that kind of thing. 

Woooo North Carolina. Give Credit Karma Tax a try. Do not know if they have what you need, but it is 100 percent free.

22 hours ago, markandoliv said:

My income in the US is 0 and my foreign income for 2019 was around £8000.   We are looking into tax professionals, but been unable to find any, nesr where we live in north Carolina that mention any familiarity with immigration tax rules and that kind of thing. 

Currently in the process of trying to find one near where we live in NC

You might have to drive up to Winston or Greensboro unfortunately.... I live in the Triad as well but my x lives down in Lexington 

6 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

My wife has used TurboTax for 18 consecutive years and highly recommends you use the desktop version. 

A lot of what they suggest is marketing to try to get you to spend more money. They make it seem like because we have some big financial investments and a self-employed situation we need the over $100 version. TurboTax Basic (lowest level) will have all the forms needed to handle all of the above plus foreign income. We buy Deluxe desktop version now because it is always on sale in January for the same price as Basic. 

HOWEVER...it sounds like you are trying to use the free online TurboTax. There’s a lot of hype to their free offer. In reality, they don’t offer much for free but a real simple return.  It is correct that the free online version will not handle your foreign income exclusion. So if you continue with online, you have to upgrade. 

Or you can go to Amazon and purchase the Deluxe software for $29 if you don’t have a state income tax, or $39 if you need your state software as well. With the software installed on a computer you can try as many “what if” versions you want by saving under different file names. You don’t have to modify your one online version to look at it a different way.

Hi, thanks for the reply.  Not sure if you could offer any advice on my next question but ill ask anyway in case you can. 

So if we buy turbotax for desktop, we would then be able to answer the questions, complete the 2555form to have foreign income excluded/exempt, then print off all those documents, and send them to the irs along with the letter stating my election to be treated as an alien resident for tax purposes?

We live in NC greensboro now, so not sure if we have state tax as well but we will look into it.  

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, markandoliv said:

Hi, thanks for the reply.  Not sure if you could offer any advice on my next question but ill ask anyway in case you can. 

So if we buy turbotax for desktop, we would then be able to answer the questions, complete the 2555form to have foreign income excluded/exempt, then print off all those documents, and send them to the irs along with the letter stating my election to be treated as an alien resident for tax purposes?

We live in NC greensboro now, so not sure if we have state tax as well but we will look into it.  

Thank you

Seven states do not have a state income tax Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming.

You will need TurboTax with State. Deluxe edition should be same price as the lower version at Amazon, Sam’s Club, Target, Office Depot...$39.xx.

Best  Buy and Staples are more. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.