shaair

Got 221-G, paper says refused but online says AP (IR-5 parent of US citizen)

32 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, shaair said:

Yes, I had already uploaded I846 along with tax returns, W2 and 1099s.

So you are self employed/business owner?  Maybe the net income is part of the problem.

22 minutes ago, shaair said:

No, I am salaried employee. 1099s were added to support my income from equities that was part of my tax returns. W2 was to support my consistent salaried income that was part of my tax returns.

Strange indeed.  Hopefully you will hear back soon from the embassy as to whether it was an error.

Nationality of the petitioner has no bearing on anything. They are a US citizen petitioning for a parent.

OP's profile shows Pakistan. OP said "My Dad had his interview in Islamabad for his IR-5".

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

13 minutes ago, shaair said:

That is correct. I am a US citizen. My dad is in Pakistan. I thought profile showing Pakistan will make it easier for folks to figure out where the case is going on in embassy. 

... and that assumption is correct, but if people are browsing the forum on cellphones they don’t automatically see the profile data. 

17 hours ago, shaair said:

Need some guidance here.

My Dad had his interview in Islamabad for his IR-5. They asked simple questions, kept his passport but gave him a 221-G. Paper says that visa is refused and has a list of documents to submit. It is asking for

• Evidence of economic solvency to be uploaded at CEAC (I dont know what this is. I have already uploaded AOS, tax returns, W2 and all related docs)
  • Joint sponsor (Not sure why, I make enough money and all records are already uploaded). If I have to really put another person here, I am not sure what to do.
  • IRS certified tax returns (My tax returns are already uploaded to CEAC, not sure why asking again)
  • Latest W2 (again, already uploaded to CEAC, not sure why asking again)
  • Evidence of matrimonial relationship, wedding/reception picture of both (I have no clue why, he is my DAD, on IR-5 application. Not a spouce on IR-1)

On top of everything, the letter says that visa is refused. I checked status online and it says Administrative Processing. What does this mean?

What should be my next steps?

Listen take a deep breath. Just give them what they requested.they kept the passport for a reason once you submit what they ask the refuse will turn to approve. Yes the paper will say refuse it's always like that. But the site will say AP . That's normal. Just give them what they ask for and stop wasting Any more time. Goodluck

Filed: IR-5 Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thank you everyone for sharing into my concerns. Here is the current update.

• All documents uploaded to CEAC again. Even the ones that I had already submitted and all docs for a kind person who agreed to sponsor jointly. When submitting the docs, CEAC website had a pop up and it said that these docs will go directly to embassy/consulate. So I guess that will work. Now I wait.
  • Family photos, even though he took with him to interview, I am sending again today. Then I wait. He is my Dad and I do not have a picture of me and him as "matrimonial proof". It makes no sense. So I assumed that they just wanted family pictures with me and him in it. I have included my wedding pictures with him in it by my side along with rest of the family. I hope it will work.

Also, when I did more research, it seems Trump has been passing laws or executive orders to cut "government expense" on immigrants. Someone said that it also raises the bar if a person is elderly and has health issues. My dad is over 70 right now and has some health issues though he is doing just fine. May be that really is the reason to ask for joint sponsor as @SusieQQQ mentioned earlier.

Anyways, now I wait and pray. I'll keep y'all posted when/if there is any progress. 

Edited by shaair

3 minutes ago, shaair said:

Thank you everyone for sharing into my concerns. Here is the current update.

• All documents uploaded to CEAC again. Even the ones that I had already submitted and all docs for a kind person who agreed to sponsor jointly. When submitting the docs, CEAC website had a pop up and it said that these docs will go directly to embassy/consulate. So I guess that will work. Now I wait.
  • Family photos, even though he took with him to interview, I am sending again today. Then I wait. He is my Dad and I do not have a picture of me and him as "matrimonial proof". It makes no sense. So I assumed that they just wanted family pictures with me and him in it. I have included my wedding pictures with him in it by my side along with rest of the family. I hope it will work.

Also, when I did more research, it seems Trump has been passing laws or executive orders to cut "government expense" on immigrants. Someone said that it also raises the bar if a person is elderly and has health issues. My dad is over 70 right now and has some health issues though he is doing just fine. May be that really is the reason to ask for joint sponsor as @SusieQQQ mentioned earlier.

Anyways, now I wait and pray. I'll keep y'all posted when/if there is any progress. 

Do you have a plan for how he will afford to pay for health care services when he is here, since he won't be eligible for Medicare?

55 minutes ago, shaair said:

My dad is over 70 right now and has some health issues though he is doing just fine.

52 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Do you have a plan for how he will afford to pay for health care services when he is here, since he won't be eligible for Medicare?

This bit does worry me. Speaking from personal experience. My dad sounded like yours at 70, nothing too bad, by 77 he has gone downhill fast and without Medicaid which thankfully he is eligible for (plus top uo insurance) his medical costs would probably have wiped out your salary. So, maybe that is why, though I still think it is odd that with a high sponsor income they ask a joint sponsor with no indication of what kind of level they are looking for. We have seen other cases where they have asked for estimates of health insurance costs etc and to show how this would be funded, which would make more sense to me if health was the issue than this. So overall... it still sounds strange to me 

20 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

This bit does worry me. Speaking from personal experience. My dad sounded like yours at 70, nothing too bad, by 77 he has gone downhill fast and without Medicaid which thankfully he is eligible for (plus top uo insurance) his medical costs would probably have wiped out your salary. So, maybe that is why, though I still think it is odd that with a high sponsor income they ask a joint sponsor with no indication of what kind of level they are looking for. We have seen other cases where they have asked for estimates of health insurance costs etc and to show how this would be funded, which would make more sense to me if health was the issue than this. So overall... it still sounds strange to me 

Same here.  My dad is 76 and close to being on hospice.  He has both social security, and a defined benefit pension from a career with the City of Seattle.  Still, we'd be sunk without Medicare and his supplement.

26 minutes ago, shaair said:

Yes. I think I am well off that way and that will not be an issue. I work in tech sector, in a company with good benefits and good total comp. I am looking forward to supporting his health needs.

Just so you know, most employer-based plans do not allow coverage of parents.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.