shaair

Got 221-G, paper says refused but online says AP (IR-5 parent of US citizen)

32 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Need some guidance here.

My Dad had his interview in Islamabad for his IR-5. They asked simple questions, kept his passport but gave him a 221-G. Paper says that visa is refused and has a list of documents to submit. It is asking for

• Evidence of economic solvency to be uploaded at CEAC (I dont know what this is. I have already uploaded AOS, tax returns, W2 and all related docs)
  • Joint sponsor (Not sure why, I make enough money and all records are already uploaded). If I have to really put another person here, I am not sure what to do.
  • IRS certified tax returns (My tax returns are already uploaded to CEAC, not sure why asking again)
  • Latest W2 (again, already uploaded to CEAC, not sure why asking again)
  • Evidence of matrimonial relationship, wedding/reception picture of both (I have no clue why, he is my DAD, on IR-5 application. Not a spouce on IR-1)

On top of everything, the letter says that visa is refused. I checked status online and it says Administrative Processing. What does this mean?

What should be my next steps?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A visa is either approved or refused.

Probably best to do what they say and see.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
56 minutes ago, shaair said:

Need some guidance here.

My Dad had his interview in Islamabad for his IR-5. They asked simple questions, kept his passport but gave him a 221-G. Paper says that visa is refused and has a list of documents to submit. It is asking for

• Evidence of economic solvency to be uploaded at CEAC (I dont know what this is. I have already uploaded AOS, tax returns, W2 and all related docs)
  • Joint sponsor (Not sure why, I make enough money and all records are already uploaded). If I have to really put another person here, I am not sure what to do.
  • IRS certified tax returns (My tax returns are already uploaded to CEAC, not sure why asking again)
  • Latest W2 (again, already uploaded to CEAC, not sure why asking again)
  • Evidence of matrimonial relationship, wedding/reception picture of both (I have no clue why, he is my DAD, on IR-5 application. Not a spouce on IR-1)

On top of everything, the letter says that visa is refused. I checked status online and it says Administrative Processing. What does this mean?

What should be my next steps?

221g is a refusal pending additional information.   You want it to say AP on ceac, cuz if it says refused,  then it just got a whole lot more difficult 

YMMV

221g is a refusal that can be overcome by providing additional information/documentation. They have given you the list of the documents you need.

Are there any health or other issues with your father that may be causing financial concern?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

Thank you all for responding. My father's health is OK. But let's say my over $160K per year income is not enough to support him in their opinion, where do I find another sponsor? Can it be a friend or does it have to be a family member? Is it safe to assume that tax returns and w2 are required for this new sponsor because mine are already on CEAC? 

Also, what do I need to upload to CEAC for "Evidence of economic solvency"? I already have my AOS and supporting documents uploaded.

I think for pictures, I can just ignore "matrimonial" word and submit our family pictures.

All help it greatly appreciated.

Hm, that’s not the kind of borderline income levels that we usually have seen reports of joint sponsors being needed. It might be worth confirming with the embassy that they do actually have all your documents.

I don’t believe I’ve seen a report of asking for solvency before but the obvious kind of evidence to my mind will be things like bank accounts, investment account statement, homeowners equity etc.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, shaair said:

So, this is what they gave (attached). Now the documents on right, do I have to upload them on CEAC only? I am thinking about just giving in and submitting documents. I don't want to waste too much time by delaying it. 

WhatsApp Image 2020-01-14 at 12.32.53 AM.jpeg

What did you provide with the original affidavit ?

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 hours ago, shaair said:

So, this is what they gave (attached). Now the documents on right, do I have to upload them on CEAC only? I am thinking about just giving in and submitting documents. I don't want to waste too much time by delaying it. 

WhatsApp Image 2020-01-14 at 12.32.53 AM.jpeg

Photographs together at the wedding reception?  As to your tax information did you initially supply transcripts or copies of your returns with the W2s?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
11 hours ago, shaair said:

Thank you all for responding. My father's health is OK. But let's say my over $160K per year income is not enough to support him in their opinion, where do I find another sponsor? Can it be a friend or does it have to be a family member? Is it safe to assume that tax returns and w2 are required for this new sponsor because mine are already on CEAC? 

Also, what do I need to upload to CEAC for "Evidence of economic solvency"? I already have my AOS and supporting documents uploaded.

I think for pictures, I can just ignore "matrimonial" word and submit our family pictures.

All help it greatly appreciated.

Hi, if you make $160k a year, you are certainly more than qualified to sponsor your dad depending on your family size and if you have sponsored other people in the past. 

That being said, i am strongly of the view that there may be a mistake somewhere especially because they asked for wedding pictures.

My suggestion to you is to contact the embassy for clarification. If i am in your shoes, i will email the embassy with as much details about the case and ask questions. They are in the best position to clarify things to you. One thing i have realised is those guys are not as difficult to deal with as we think they are.

I wish you and your dad all the best with this! Please keep us updated.

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, FPope said:

if you make $160k a year, you are certainly more than qualified to sponsor your dad

While it's uncommon to see a public charge issue raised with that, it certainly has happened before. I recall somebody being denied with a $200k/year income, and they needed a joint sponsor.

Specifics circumstances matter.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

The wedding picture though... that does make me wonder also about an error and hence why I suggested calling.

I am thinking he was given the wrong one.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

OP, what is your household size?  And did you originally submit your birth certificate which lists your father's name?  I may be wrong, but I believe we have seen cases where the embassy asks for matrimonial evidence for the parents when a USC is petitioning for one or both.

Timeline

Yes, my birth certificate was already submitted at CEAC and my dad had my original birth certificate, his birth certificate, his marriage certificate, our pictures, with him for interview.

Yes, I had already uploaded I846 along with tax returns, W2 and 1099s. CEAC had reviewed and accepted all documents before they sent case to local embassy. During the interview also,  my dad had all of my financial documents with him.

I have 2 kids and a wife living with me in USA.

I used embassy's online form to ask them if this was a mistake. However, there was space of only 140 characters in the message. Also, they had mentioned that if documents are requested, do not contact us or expect a response within 2 months of submitting documents. I dont know if I will get a response.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.