Jpoy

Steps/Forms on how to file for CRBA?

34 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Jpoy said:

Thank you so much for this reply! I love would to PM you, if you don't mind since you know a lot about this CRBA. I have postponed all of my petition papers and have been inactive on this forum due to the pandemic. However, I really do appreciate your reply! 

You can PM me anytime.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 5:51 PM, RO_AH said:

I know that I am late to reply, but I will chime in anyways. First off when applying for the birth certificate at your local registrar ask, ask , and ask again if necessary about expediting the PSA birth certificate. We received ours in 2 weeks for our second son and without expediting it took over 4 months for our first son. You MUST have the PSA certificate to apply for the CRBA not the local registrar.

Next, It is not often that they will even ask for a DNA test. If all of your documents are in order you should be fine. Follow the the checklist from the embassy website. You are supposed to send that in with your request for an appointment.

I had my appointment at the end of February. I accidentally brought a copy of our PSA marriage certificate (not the original) so the required me to send in the original. I did that, then coronavirus hit. I am still waiting for the CRBA and Passport's.

On 2/6/2020 at 9:15 AM, Fogi said:

If you get asked to DNA, use the expedited process. We had the test on a Monday or Tuesday (can;'t remember exactly) USEM had results by the end of the week. If you PM me I'll let you know the lab. It was expensive AF, but worth it. 

On 2/1/2020 at 2:01 PM, snmsm said:

You can MAYBE do it in 1.5 months IF all the documents are already sent in and have an interview scheduled by the time you are there - and have a little luck on your side. :) The hangup for us was the DNA test, the process alone took 1 month to complete from end of interview to test results. The waiting game for the DNA appointment was also tough. It might have helped that I sent them a couple of emails to get updates but YMMV. It was probably another week or so for the passport to arrive. In total, the entire process was around 5 months for us, from birth to passport...but I took a bit of time to make sure everything was in order.

On 1/22/2020 at 11:50 AM, Paul & Mary said:

Maybe but probably not.

You need the birth certificate to start.  (get a bunch of them while you are there)  If you are there for the interview it is helpful but not required.  Being on the birth certificate and proof that you were at the same place for conception is often enough.   If they were to ask for DNA it does delay.   Getting passports at bigger consulates is usually pretty fast.  

Don't worry about the SSN as it is easy to get stateside.

Don't forget the child will also need a Filipino Passport to leave and enter Philippines.

Great place for Philippines questions:

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

On 1/22/2020 at 2:35 AM, Paul & Mary said:

The appointment is scheduled by email.   It is helpful, but not required, for the father to be there.  I've seen them done very quickly.  Passport depends on the consulate.   Ciudad Juarez is very fast.  I'd expect that Manila to be fast too.   SSN can be dome stateside.

------------------------------

UPDATE (26 MAY 2020)

Thank you all for the helpful information. Here is an update to my situation.

Due to the pandemic things have gotten a little complicated. 

1. My employer only approved 3.5 weeks of vacation instead of 1.5 months.

2. My wife who is in Dubai is planning to have the baby in the Philippines, but with the pandemic it seems like there's a possibility that she'll have it in UAE.

--------------------------------

So here are my questions and concerns since my vacation time have been shortened and with the pandemic looming around:

1. Since my vacation time is only 3.5 weeks, it seems like this is not enough to go through the whole process of CRBA. Let alone the delivery time of the whole packet takes roughly 1-2 weeks and getting an appointment from the embassy. 

--------Can my wife (Non-U.S. Citizen) do the process without me? 

--------If yes, would the "DS-3053 (Statement of Consent)" be the correct form to fill out, so my wife can proceed with the CRBA application process?

-------If yes, do I include the DS-3053 form in the CRBA package or should I/We save the form up until the actual interview since I might not be present at the time?

Again, THANK YOU for your help/reply.

Jpoy

5 minutes ago, Jpoy said:

Can my wife (Non-U.S. Citizen) do the process without me?

Yes.  Just follow the CRBA procedure to UAE.

A notarized DS-3053 would be needed for the passport.

Edited by Paul & Mary

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

5 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

Yes.  Just follow the CRBA procedure to UAE.

A notarized DS-3053 would be needed for the passport.

Copy on the notarized DS-3053. But does the DS-3053 only applies for the passport application? So, if my wife mails the CRBA package and gets an interview does she need any type of special form signed by me since I'm not going to be with her?

1 minute ago, Jpoy said:

Copy on the notarized DS-3053. But does the DS-3053 only applies for the passport application? So, if my wife mails the CRBA package and gets an interview does she need any type of special form signed by me since I'm not going to be with her?

Not needed for the CRBA.   But the child will need a passport.

See the CRBA instructions.   Plenty of them get filed without much support from the father.  You can supply your notarized affidavit, like what is on page 4 of the form, separately if you can not attend or a separate affidavit.

She should also need to do a Report of Birth with the Filipino Embassy and that will give the child Filipino status.  

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

22 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

Not needed for the CRBA.   But the child will need a passport.

See the CRBA instructions.   Plenty of them get filed without much support from the father.  You can supply your notarized affidavit, like what is on page 4 of the form, separately if you can not attend or a separate affidavit.

She should also need to do a Report of Birth with the Filipino Embassy and that will give the child Filipino status.  

Copy. If the baby is born in the Philippines, does the baby automatically receive a Filipino Citizenship? 

1 minute ago, Jpoy said:

Copy. If the baby is born in the Philippines, does the baby automatically receive a Filipino Citizenship? 

Yes -  wouldn't need the Report of Birth.  Would still need to passport to exit Philippines.

17 hours ago, Jpoy said:

1. Since my vacation time is only 3.5 weeks, it seems like this is not enough to go through the whole process of CRBA. Let alone the delivery time of the whole packet takes roughly 1-2 weeks and getting an appointment from the embassy. 

I think you are misunderstanding the process. I prepared 2 CRBA packets (one for each child) in PDF. I sent those to my wife (can be anyone in the Philippines) and then had her print the packets. She sent them to the the USEM using LBC. The Embassy sent me an appointment date even faster than I expected. I replied back and informed them that I was not in the Philippines yet and told them when I would arrive. The moved my appointment. So basically you do not need weeks to accomplish this. Also we left there and went to DFA and got both of their Philippines passports. We were done by noon. Now if she gives birth in UAE that's a whole new ball game.

6 hours ago, RO_AH said:

I think you are misunderstanding the process. I prepared 2 CRBA packets (one for each child) in PDF. I sent those to my wife (can be anyone in the Philippines) and then had her print the packets. She sent them to the the USEM using LBC. The Embassy sent me an appointment date even faster than I expected. I replied back and informed them that I was not in the Philippines yet and told them when I would arrive. The moved my appointment. So basically you do not need weeks to accomplish this. Also we left there and went to DFA and got both of their Philippines passports. We were done by noon. Now if she gives birth in UAE that's a whole new ball game.

Copy. 

This are my estimates on times with the 'pandemic' going on:

1. Acquiring the birth certificate = 1-2 Weeks

2. Sending the CRBA package and getting an appointment from the embassy = 1-2 Weeks

- If this happens I will not be with my wife on interview day since I have already gone back to the U.S. She will then need to do the process by herself and with the baby since my employer have shortened my leave. 

- The question now is.... Would this be the part where I would need to create an affidavit or letter of authorization stating that I will not be present and has given her full rights that she can proceed with the CRBA process of the baby? If yes, do I send this LOA with the initial CRBA package or does she just bring this LOA on the day of the interview? 

Thank you so much for your help!

23 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

Yes -  wouldn't need the Report of Birth.  Would still need to passport to exit Philippines.

Copy.

Our problem now is that she might have the baby in UAE because there are no flight between UAE and Philippines with the pandemic. She is due sometime late August or early September. We are just hoping that the Philippines would open up very soon so that way airline flights could open up and we could push through with our original plan of her having the baby in the Phils. 

Thank You! 

On 5/27/2020 at 4:02 AM, Jpoy said:

1. Acquiring the birth certificate = 1-2 Weeks

2. Sending the CRBA package and getting an appointment from the embassy = 1-2 Weeks

About right. Maybe a little optimistic on the PSA BC. Hard to say because every municipality is different there.

On 5/27/2020 at 4:06 AM, Jpoy said:

She is due sometime late August or early September. We are just hoping that the Philippines would open up very soon so that way airline flights could open up and we could push through with our original plan of her having the baby in the Phils. 

I am sure she will be able to make it back before delivery. That is still a ways off.

Now, is you plan to be there when she gives birth? If so that will make it most likely impossible to get the CRBA before you go. I never planned to be there for the birth of my 2 babies, because you never know if they may deliver a week or 2 early or a week or 2 late. Plus a newborn only sleeps, eats, and poops. My plan with both babies was to be there about 6 weeks after. If you did that you would have more than enough time.

What is the rush anyway? Even if you go there for the birth and can't get the CRBA you could always do it on your next trip. She can do it without you but I feel it is much, much better to be together.

Start working on your packet ASAP.. Mine were each close to 40 pages each. I will say that they really want to see ultrasound reports from the doctor (mostly to prove time of conception and if you were together at that time). The first person I saw there said that they may not accept mine because we did not have them. My wife had regular ultrsounds done but she never got print outs. But that was just the person that gets all of your information together before you meet with the interviewer. She also asked about ultrasounds so I explained to her why we did not have them. The rest of my documents were in order and my passport stamps and other documentation clearly showed I was there when both babies were conceived so she approved. That, and the fact that we were there together and both my boys look like their daddy. If they do have any doubts they will make you get a DNA test.

On 5/29/2020 at 3:51 AM, RO_AH said:

About right. Maybe a little optimistic on the PSA BC. Hard to say because every municipality is different there.

I am sure she will be able to make it back before delivery. That is still a ways off.

Now, is you plan to be there when she gives birth? If so that will make it most likely impossible to get the CRBA before you go. I never planned to be there for the birth of my 2 babies, because you never know if they may deliver a week or 2 early or a week or 2 late. Plus a newborn only sleeps, eats, and poops. My plan with both babies was to be there about 6 weeks after. If you did that you would have more than enough time.

What is the rush anyway? Even if you go there for the birth and can't get the CRBA you could always do it on your next trip. She can do it without you but I feel it is much, much better to be together.

Start working on your packet ASAP.. Mine were each close to 40 pages each. I will say that they really want to see ultrasound reports from the doctor (mostly to prove time of conception and if you were together at that time). The first person I saw there said that they may not accept mine because we did not have them. My wife had regular ultrsounds done but she never got print outs. But that was just the person that gets all of your information together before you meet with the interviewer. She also asked about ultrasounds so I explained to her why we did not have them. The rest of my documents were in order and my passport stamps and other documentation clearly showed I was there when both babies were conceived so she approved. That, and the fact that we were there together and both my boys look like their daddy. If they do have any doubts they will make you get a DNA test.

40 Pages, wow! She does have all of the required documentations, so far. As for me, I've never left the US. I can provide my transcripts and other documentations going all the way back since I was in Middle School, so no worries on that part. And I do plan to be with her when she gives birth, it's going to be first child, so it seems like I need to cherish that special moment. Thank you so much again for the help/effort. I will be asking you more questions, if I have something come up to mind. Again, THANK YOU!

@RO_AH @Paul & Mary @Fogi @snmsm

I'm going to start prepping my docs starting next week for the CRBA and thank you for the help.

Would these documents suffice the part where I need to prove that I had 5 years of physical presence in the U.S.?

1. W2s

2. Income Tax Returns

3. School Transcripts - Middle School, High School, and College

4. Military Records

5. Passport

6. Social Security Earning Statements

Also, Can a 'reference letter' from a co-worker be much of help as a documentation to prove my physical presence in the U.S.? How about pictures?

Thanks much! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Jpoy said:

I'm going to start prepping my docs starting next week for the CRBA and thank you for the help.

Would these documents suffice the part where I need to prove that I had 5 years of physical presence in the U.S.?

1. W2s

2. Income Tax Returns

4. Military Records

5. Passport

Also, Can a 'reference letter' from a co-worker be much of help as a documentation to prove my physical presence in the U.S.? How about pictures?

Thanks much! 

I used the following:

1. Letter from employer stating tenure and salary. I know they don't need the salary, but this is a standard letter employers issue. 

2. Passport stamps showing when I left and returned. (I had just gotten a new passport about a year before, so most of this came from an old passport). 

3. A single months electricity bill, a different month phone bill, and a different month cable/internet bill. This was overkill I suppose. 

On 6/3/2020 at 4:50 AM, Jpoy said:

1. W2s

2. Income Tax Returns

4. Military Records

5. Passport

Thanks much! 

That's pretty much overkill. I just had several years of W-2's.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.