Ussponsorpaki

Embassy requesting marriage certificate from previous marriage

44 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi,

My husband had his interview at islamabad embassy and the immigration officer is asking him to submit my previous marriage certificate.   I do not have my previous marriage certificate but I have what is called nikah nama and the translation.   I also have 2 affidavits from the previous marriage.  Does anyone have any experience in this area.  I am going to submit what i currently have but I'm nervous because the paper doesn't actually say marriage certificate on it.   I'm not sure how strict they will be.   Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
14 hours ago, Ussponsorpaki said:

Hi,

My husband had his interview at islamabad embassy and the immigration officer is asking him to submit my previous marriage certificate.   I do not have my previous marriage certificate but I have what is called nikah nama and the translation.   I also have 2 affidavits from the previous marriage.  Does anyone have any experience in this area.  I am going to submit what i currently have but I'm nervous because the paper doesn't actually say marriage certificate on it.   I'm not sure how strict they will be.   Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Your case was returned previously due to your divorce documents.  What did you provide to overcome this?  Did your first marriage take place in Pakistan or USA?  Where did the divorce take place?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ahmed&Freda said:

Your case was returned previously due to your divorce documents.  What did you provide to overcome this?  Did your first marriage take place in Pakistan or USA?  Where did the divorce take place?

Yes it was sent back and we turned in the divorce certificate.  That was sufficient.  First marriage took place in pakistan and also divorce in pakistan.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
15 hours ago, Ussponsorpaki said:

Hi,

Thanks

do you have any divorce papers?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ussponsorpaki said:

Yes it was sent back and we turned in the divorce certificate.  That was sufficient.  First marriage took place in pakistan and also divorce in pakistan.  

Was your divorce certificate issued from union council?  Have you contacted them regarding the marriage certificate?

Timeline
35 minutes ago, Ahmed&Freda said:

Was your divorce certificate issued from union council?  Have you contacted them regarding the marriage certificate?

Divorce certificate is by nadra.  The nikah nama is registered with union council.  I am not sure if the marriage certificate was ever made.  If it was, I would have it.  For me it doesn't make sense to get it made now if it wasn't made.  I have the nika nama, and translation and 2 affidavits.  Nika nama is registered with union council.  

Timeline

They asked my previous nikah nama at the time of interview. Even divorce certificate was attached but they still asked for the document. We submitted it and case is now in AP since then. It’s been almost 3 months now. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Big J said:

They asked my previous nikah nama at the time of interview. Even divorce certificate was attached but they still asked for the document. We submitted it and case is now in AP since then. It’s been almost 3 months now. 

Oh, did you contact them after you submit the nikah nama.  I hate that they take so long.  Was your embassy islamabad embassy 

Timeline

Yes, We were interviewed at Islamabad embassy. We just called the help line number and they confirmed about the document and that’s it. So at this point I really don’t know what to do. 

Nikah Nama and English translation should be fine

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Timeline
1 hour ago, pm5k said:

Nikah Nama and English translation should be fine

Thank you so much. 

21 hours ago, Big J said:

Yes, We were interviewed at Islamabad embassy. We just called the help line number and they confirmed about the document and that’s it. So at this point I really don’t know what to do. 

I think keep contacting them

Timeline

I don’t think they care if you keep contacting them. If they need more time, they will take it. You can’t do at this point. I had a feeling after getting a document they will issue a visa immediately but they didn’t. My case is also pretty straight and there are no complications so don’t know why it’s taking that long.   

28 minutes ago, Big J said:

I don’t think they care if you keep contacting them. If they need more time, they will take it. You can’t do at this point. I had a feeling after getting a document they will issue a visa immediately but they didn’t. My case is also pretty straight and there are no complications so don’t know why it’s taking that long.   

Agreed. It's not bad to check in every few weeks or so, but they will process the case on their timeline without regard to how often somebody is calling or asking about it.

With Pakistan, extended AP due to background checks are not uncommon (PCCs are not trusted, per DOS, so they have to do their own background checks).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
19 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Agreed. It's not bad to check in every few weeks or so, but they will process the case on their timeline without regard to how often somebody is calling or asking about it.

With Pakistan, extended AP due to background checks are not uncommon (PCCs are not trusted, per DOS, so they have to do their own background checks).

What are pccs? I wanted to ask you if you check your status on ceac website.  Does your update date change?  

51 minutes ago, Big J said:

Do you check your status on ceac?  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.