NJShoreMom

i485 received no NO1 yet :(

7 posts in this topic

Timeline

"
Filing for Adjustment of Status within the 90 days protects your legal status. Your legal status expires after 90 days, married or not. The only way to protect your legal status is to apply for Adjustment of Status, and the only way to maintain continuous legal status is to file for AOS within 90 days or arriving. On the practical side, it is often difficult to arrange for the marriage, and get all the paperwork ready in time to file for AOS within 90 days. Many couples have filed for AOS a few days or weeks after the 90 day limit with no problems. Thus far, many experiences have shown this is not a major issue with local USCIS (INS) offices.

Sorry if this question has been asked.  BUT

90 days will be up Dec.18.  Got married on Oct.19.  Filed AOS and mailed, was received on Dec.2 (signature confirmation) still no NO1.  

1.  Is this a normal timeframe?

2.  If for some reason we don't have the hard copy by Dec.18 should we be carrying around the marriage certificate as proof?  I mean, aren't we here legally as long as we filed even though we don't have the hard copy?

I am sure this has to have happened to someone else at some point but can't find any threads discussing this specifically!

thanks in advance!

Edited by NJShoreMom
changed a date

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

If I didn't have the NAO1, I (personally) would carry my passport, marriage certificate, and a mailing receipt indicating I had sent the AOS package......However, that would not, in itself, prove "authorized stay"......

You will probably receive the official NAO1 soon.........which will prove "authorized stay" pending adjudication of the I-485. Good luck...

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
30 minutes ago, NJShoreMom said:

"
Filing for Adjustment of Status within the 90 days protects your legal status. Your legal status expires after 90 days, married or not. The only way to protect your legal status is to apply for Adjustment of Status, and the only way to maintain continuous legal status is to file for AOS within 90 days or arriving. On the practical side, it is often difficult to arrange for the marriage, and get all the paperwork ready in time to file for AOS within 90 days. Many couples have filed for AOS a few days or weeks after the 90 day limit with no problems. Thus far, many experiences have shown this is not a major issue with local USCIS (INS) offices.

Sorry if this question has been asked.  BUT

90 days will be up Dec.18.  Got married on Oct.19.  Filed AOS and mailed, was received on Dec.2 (signature confirmation) still no NO1.  

1.  Is this a normal timeframe?

2.  If for some reason we don't have the hard copy by Dec.18 should we be carrying around the marriage certificate as proof?  I mean, aren't we here legally as long as we filed even though we don't have the hard copy?

I am sure this has to have happened to someone else at some point but can't find any threads discussing this specifically!

thanks in advance!

NOA 1 can take about 1 to 4 weeks to arrive.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

You are absolutely within normal processing times for your NOA1. It took us almost an entire month and some have waited over a month. I am assuming that they are simply backlogged. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If it gets over 30 days, contact lockbox support (see the Contact Us section on the USCIS web page).

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

• 2 weeks later...

Sent in my AOS on the 15th of November, arrived Chicago on the 17th and I still haven't received the NOA1. Called USCIS several times and they don't have any information about my application. I have also sent a mail to lockbox and I haven't gotten any response. I'm beginning to think that my application is missing. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The common, nonsensical, bureaucratic, mind-numbing response coming out of USCIS, when pressed for an answer for so many tardy I-797 Notice of Action (NOA) receipt statements for many immigration processes is appalling. USCIS response is that it can take up to 30 days for processing and unless you have exceeded that time frame, you are within normal processing times. :protest:

When things start backing up for more than one month (likely business days) one way of possibly getting some action is to consider filing a report with the CIS Ombudsman (CISOMB), https://www.dhs.gov/cisomb-jurisdiction .  Click the hyperlink at the bottom of the linked page if you want to pursue this action.  :ranting:

Keep in mind that USCIS may "bite back" at you for involving the CISOMB. 👺 I got the CISOMB involved in our own ROC case processing due to a perceived sense of glacial movement by USCIS on our case. The CISOMB took a peek and I didn't think much about it. However, it seems rather coincidental that the CSC, where our case was languishing, sent us a RFE about two weeks later. Prior to that RFE notice, we had not seen activity or anything related to our case for over six or seven months. At least this seemed like activity and we were able to help move it along by responding to the RFE. Our ROC was approved about two weeks after our RFE response submission.

Sadly, current ROC processing times are now running at 1-2 years or more. I am starting to think that if the USCIS-proposed double digit fee increases become effective, they need to held more accountable to their customers that are footing the bill.  YMMV

Happy New Year!!  🍾🥂

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.