Sarge21555

SSN (split)

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline
On 11/26/2019 at 3:44 PM, Pitaya said:

Very true, that is what we had to contend with. Since at the time of my wife's POE, CBP was still filling out paper I-94s longhand. It took CBP over six weeks to manually enter my wife's data into their SAVE computer system. We had multiple times in the queues at the local SSA office. Finally, it did help having the SS-5  app already filled out, it eventually  shortened our last visit considerably. 👍

On the SS-5 application, it asks if your legally allowed to work.  Can i put yes of arriving on K1 ?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
8 hours ago, UAreWhatuBecame said:

On the SS-5 application, it asks if your legally allowed to work.  Can i put yes of arriving on K1 ?

Do you have an Employment Authorization Document (EAD)? 

If yes, you have a current EAD ---Yes, you are legally allowed to work.

If no ---- No, you are not legally allowed to work.

Next time you ask a question on a totally unrelated topic, start a new topic. B-)

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Pitaya said:

Do you have an Employment Authorization Document (EAD)? 

If yes, you have a current EAD ---Yes, you are legally allowed to work.

If no ---- No, you are not legally allowed to work.

Next time you ask a question on a totally unrelated topic, start a new topic. B-)

That is not correct.  I watched 3 youtube videos and on the other posts. I also called a friend who did his and he confirmed.

we select YES on this option without EAD.  I need to bring i-94 form. 😜 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, UAreWhatuBecame said:

That is not correct.  I watched 3 youtube videos and on the other posts. I also called a friend who did his and he confirmed.

You sir, your YouTubes and your friend are the ones that are incorrect, or you have misunderstood them. Read the USCIS quoted link:

Employment Authorization Document

U.S. employers must check to make sure all employees, regardless of citizenship or national origin, are allowed to work in the United States. Having an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is one way to prove that you are allowed to work in the United States for a specific time period.

To request an EAD, you must file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.

You will need to apply for an EAD if you:

• Are authorized to work in the United States because of your immigration status (for example, you are an asylee, refugee, or U nonimmigrant) and need evidence of that employment authorization, or
  • Are required to apply for permission to work; in other words, you need to request employment authorization itself. For example:
    • You have a pending Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.
    • You have a pending Form I-589, Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal.
    • You have a nonimmigrant status that allows you to be in the United States but does not allow you to work in the United States without first seeking permission from USCIS (such as an F-1 or M-1 student).

You do not need to apply for an EAD if you are a lawful permanent resident. Your Green Card (Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card) is evidence of your employment authorization. You also do not need to apply for an EAD if you have a nonimmigrant visa that authorizes you to work for a specific employer (for example, you have an H-1B, L-1B, O, or P visa).

REF: https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/employment-authorization-document

To legally work in the US, you need a valid EAD and a SSN.

I don't know where you get the idea that a Form I-94 has anything to with legal employment. Read here what a Form I-94 is intended for:

Form I-94, the Arrival-Departure Record Card, is a form used by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) intended to keep track of the arrival and departure to/from the United States of people who are not United States citizens or lawful permanent residents (with the exception of those who are entering using the Visa Waiver Program or Compact of Free Association, using Border Crossing Cards, re-entering via automatic visa revalidation, or entering temporarily as crew members).[1] While the form is usually issued by CBP at ports of entry or deferred inspection sites, USCIS can issue an equivalent as part of the Form I-797A approval notice for a Form I-129 petition for an alien worker or a Form I-539 application for extension of stay or change of status (in the case that the alien is already in the United States).[2][3]

REF: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_I-94

The Social Security Card that you will receive when you come in on a K-1 visa will state  at the top of the card, "Valid only with DHS authorization." The EAD card, issued by USCIS, an agency of DHS, is that authorization.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by Pitaya

Timeline

I never stated i-94 is needed for employment or said anything about working.

i am advised how to fill it out and what to bring 🙂

Timeline
44 minutes ago, UAreWhatuBecame said:

Excuse me, I was confused as to what you were referring to with the above bolded statement. Now I see, yes, you will need to bring your valid Form I-94 to the SSA office with you.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

• Ontarkie changed the title to SSN (split)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Hijack post and related replies split and moved to SSN- Please do not post questions for your own case in other members threads. It can cause confusion to the thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.