Jump to content
Charles9245

Work Visa with medical sponsor

15 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Good evening!

 

I’m a Mexican medical graduate visiting USA oftentimes to see my girlfriend, who is a permanent resident, and I’m preparing to get my test to apply for a medical residency program in 3 years.

 

While visiting my girlfriend in the States who is actually working as a medical assistant, I met her boss, and helped him with some carpentry issues he had, and we became friends. 

 

While talking to him, he asked me about my plans, which are marrying my girlfriend in 3 years when she becomes eligible for citizenship, and coming back and forth to Mexico. After a few months, this physician, who is a extremely wealthy person and who has a federal judge as his best friend, asked me if I was interested in getting a Work visa to work just as my girlfriend as a medical assistant, to which obviously I answered yes.

 

A few days after that, he called his attorney, who told him that it was practically impossible to get such thing because of Trump’s administration, even if he knew this federal judge and has a lot of money to sponsor. As far as I know, this attorney area isn’t migration, but is car wrecks and that kind of stuff.

 

Although I know how the law works, the actual immigration panorama, I feel like his attorney didn’t want to try at all.

 

1. My question is, should I look for a second opinion? 

2. Is there any other kind of sponsorship besides the Work visa that this friend of mine could get me to be legally in the USA?

 

Thank you very much in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing judges doesn’t help people do stuff here. And people can’t get visas for friends. Nothing to do with Trump, these laws have long been on the books. 

 

There is quite some demand for medical staff in the US, I suggest you look for other sponsors. Companies that are used to sponsoring work visas for medical graduates are a better bet for sure than someone who happens to know a judge. 

 

Also, you don’t have to wait till your girlfriend is a citizen to marry her.

 

(also, if “helping with carpentry issues” was paid you violated tourist status.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Knowing judges doesn’t help people do stuff here. And people can’t get visas for friends. Nothing to do with Trump, these laws have long been on the books. 

 

There is quite some demand for medical staff in the US, I suggest you look for other sponsors. Companies that are used to sponsoring work visas for medical graduates are a better bet for sure than someone who happens to know a judge. 

 

Also, you don’t have to wait till your girlfriend is a citizen to marry her.

 

(also, if “helping with carpentry issues” was paid you violated tourist status.)

I wasn’t paid, and thank you very much for the help! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Your friend has no idea of the requirements for a work visa.  Like most Americans, he thinks that it is easy and all a foreigner needs to do is apply directly for a work visa and get one.  The most important thing for a work visa is to have a US employer who is capable of filing for a foreign worker.  You don't have that.  Your friend not understanding this basic requirement is why he is clueless about work visas. 

 

2.  No.

 

A green card holder can petition for a spouse.  You don't need to wait for her to get US citizen.  

Edited by aaron2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

1. Your friend has no idea of the requirements for a work visa.  Like most Americans, he thinks that it is easy and all a foreigner needs to do is apply directly for a work visa and get one.  The most important thing for a work visa is to have a US employer who is capable of filing for a foreign worker.  You don't have that.  Your friend not understanding this basic requirement is why he is clueless about work visas. 

 

2.  No.

 

A green card holder can petition for a spouse.  You don't need to wait for her to get US citizen.  

Waiting period for a permanent resident is between 24-36 months right ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charles9245 said:

Waiting period for a permanent resident is between 24-36 months right ?

 

2 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

Yes but for a spouse of a US citizen is 12-16 months probably plus the time it takes for her to be a US citizen

 

He said 3 years for her to be eligible to be a citizen, so that probably doesn’t include the wait time after she files (OP, this can be up to or even more than a year  after filing.) So (probable) worst case on spouse of LPR is still probably completed before girlfriend is even usc, much less than when any petition she files as usc is done.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

OP says he is a medical graduate - it’s the girlfriend already in the US that is the assistant. 

Yes, but he also says:  “After a few months, this physician, who is a extremely wealthy person and who has a federal judge as his best friend, asked me if I was interested in getting a Work visa to work just as my girlfriend as a medical assistant, to which obviously I answered yes.”


Hence why I said MAs are not in demand.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Charles9245 said:

I just read something about a TN NAFTA Visa, is it even harder to get it than a H1B?

Does what you want to do fall somewhere  on this list? If so and you can get a sponsor for a TN visa, that’s certainly an easier option than H1.

https://www.nafsa.org/_/file/_/amresource/8cfr2146.htm

 

general info including about degree/experience requirements 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/employment/visas-canadian-mexican-nafta-professional-workers.html

 

 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 8:56 PM, SusieQQQ said:

Does what you want to do fall somewhere  on this list? If so and you can get a sponsor for a TN visa, that’s certainly an easier option than H1.

https://www.nafsa.org/_/file/_/amresource/8cfr2146.htm

 

general info including about degree/experience requirements 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/employment/visas-canadian-mexican-nafta-professional-workers.html

 

 

If the person trying to hire me and who has a long Spanish speaking clients, starts an investigation, and hires me as a bilingual physician for research purposes, do you think I would have a good chance? Or that would be more likely in a University or a Research company scenario?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Charles9245 said:

If the person trying to hire me and who has a long Spanish speaking clients, starts an investigation, and hires me as a bilingual physician for research purposes, do you think I would have a good chance? Or that would be more likely in a University or a Research company scenario?

You would first need to be licensed to practice medicine in the US either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...