asls

N400 have u ever used a different last name

11 posts in this topic

The country i come from uses latin and cyrilica.

I never changed my last name, however, i noticed that upon birth my first letter of last name was in cyrilica: 

Vxxxxxxx

Whereas since i know of myself i use the variation with two letters in latin:

VDxxxxxx

Basically they both mean the same just different speling of letter.

So, should i say i never used any other last name, because truth is i never did. However, in my country different departments will issue me statements with different letters

Vxxxxx or VDxxxxx and it's the norm.

I have always used VDxxxx as it is on my passport and no issues up until now.

Am i right to assume that this applies to people who changed their last name and answer that i never used a different last name?

For example.my dad's last name.is Vxxxxx whereas my mom's it's VDxxxxxxx.

Edited by asls

California

NOA1 - 19/01/2016

NOA2 approved - 22/03/2016

NVC status - READY - 20/04, 2016

23 minutes ago, asls said:

The country i come from uses latin and cyrilica.

I never changed my last name, however, i noticed that upon birth my first letter of last name was in cyrilica: 

Vxxxxxxx

Whereas since i know of myself i use the variation with two letters in latin:

VDxxxxxx

Basically they both mean the same just different speling of letter.

So, should i say i never used any other last name, because truth is i never did. However, in my country different departments will issue me statements with different letters

Vxxxxx or VDxxxxx and it's the norm.

I have always used VDxxxx as it is on my passport and no issues up until now.

Am i right to assume that this applies to people who changed their last name and answer that i never used a different last name?

For example.my dad's last name.is Vxxxxx whereas my mom's it's VDxxxxxxx.

If your passport and GC have the same spelling, then you write no to any other name

Are you sure ? Can anyone chime in ? 

I don't want a little thing like this cause me any issues...

California

NOA1 - 19/01/2016

So to further clarify.

In my country the letter

Š can be written also as Sh, the pronounciation is exactly the same.

Apparently, on my certificate of citizenship which lists my birth last name the government decided to use Š for birth last name and official last name as Sh.

So do I mention this ? Sufficient to say that my sister's last name starts with Š, my dad's last name is Š, whereas my mom's is Sh so it's pretty common.

California

NOA1 - 19/01/2016

As long as the name on your passport is the same on the green card, you are good. 

However, you should list all other names (including nicknames) you have ever used. So i recommend you add this variation under "Other Names Used" . This is not going to be an issue but is required for conducting background checks / verifying aliases. 

In your case, the Vxxxx should go in "other names used"

2 hours ago, R78 said:

As long as the name on your passport is the same on the green card, you are good. 

However, you should list all other names (including nicknames) you have ever used. So i recommend you add this variation under "Other Names Used" . This is not going to be an issue but is required for conducting background checks / verifying aliases. 

In your case, the Vxxxx should go in "other names used"

Will it be an issue that i did not list it on i751? 

California

NOA1 - 19/01/2016

It will not be a problem. A big part of the citizenship interview is to go over your application, correct errors & explain situations. 

I would recommend that you state the reason (latin and cyrilica being used in your country or origin). 

1 hour ago, R78 said:

It will not be a problem. A big part of the citizenship interview is to go over your application, correct errors & explain situations. 

I would recommend that you state the reason (latin and cyrilica being used in your country or origin). 

If i don't mention it on n400, but mention it at the interview and explain the situation do you think it will cause a delay ?

For example my dad's last name is Vxxx whereas my mom's VDxxx should i bring their passport to show this and explain in person

California

NOA1 - 19/01/2016

You should list it on the application. That way, the background check etc is completed and you attend the interview. 

I do not know if listing this during the interview (without it being on the application) could cause the IO to request another background / alias check. 

Yes, carrying a copy of your Dad & Mom's passport page can be good evidence if needed. 

2 hours ago, R78 said:

You should list it on the application. That way, the background check etc is completed and you attend the interview. 

I do not know if listing this during the interview (without it being on the application) could cause the IO to request another background / alias check. 

Yes, carrying a copy of your Dad & Mom's passport page can be good evidence if needed. 

I just checked my international birth certificate  and my last name upon birth was VDxxxxxxx as it is on every document i have. So, probably a clerikal mistake , but i will not include it since i never changed my last name and the birth certificate proves it.

California

NOA1 - 19/01/2016

Can anyone help me with this ?

My international certificate of birth shows that my last name is "Shurname", where as my Certificate of Citizenship shows that my last name is "Shurname", however, my at-birth last name is "Šurname"

My mother's last name is: Shurname

My dad's last name is Šurname

on my birth certificate- the last name is read the same.

Please note that Š and Sh are pronounced the same in my language. 

I tried to add "Šurname" under my other names used online on the app, but due to it being in my native language, it will only take it as "Surname" without the little v on top.

Do i wait for the interview and explain situation without including it on n400?

Or submit it with "Surname" without the v, and attach a letter explaining that the application won't take Šurname or just explain that part in person?

My only concern is if i do it on n400 it may delay background check , or not. If i do it at interview (the IO might accept it without requesting a background check, and if he does, by law they'are suppose to give me a decision within 120 days).

Edited by asls

California

NOA1 - 19/01/2016

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.