stephanie918

if domicile is denied...

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

my husband and I both live overseas, and are awaiting our docs to be processed by NVC.  we would be going for an interview in Sydney.  

I'm starting to think we might get denied based on domicile, which has been difficult to prove as we obviously won't be getting jobs in the US or a lease without knowing any sort of timeline at this point.  

My question is, if we do get denied and have to prove domicile, is it possible to go to the US (him on a tourist visa), then me find a job/get a lease, and apply for an adjustment of status for him? I'm assuming that's a whole separate visa, but not sure if that's even an option if our CR1 is still pending.  Just trying to think of options as I don't want to move back to the US without him as we have 2 young kids, so it really isn't feasible.  is an adjustment of status allowed??

I am in the same position as you, but my husband is the USC and we have a 4 month old daughter. However, we have made the difficult decision for him to move back to the States without us whilst we await the NOA2 and the overall visa approval so he can re-establish domicile and get a job. 

Your husband is not allowed to enter the US on a tourist visa with immigration intent. With your case now being at the NVC, your husband might find it difficult to obtain a tourist visa with a pending immigrant visa ... 

How are you proving domicile? There are things you can do whilst living abroad.

Have you made inquiries into rentals (emails to realtors)? What about emails schools/day care etc? Updated resume for US job applications? That will help prove that once your husband is granted a US visa that you intend on re-establishing domicile. 

What about tying this up in the current country your in? Emails advising you intend to break a lease soon due to moving etc? 

Moving back to the US will fix that completely though. It is a hard decision to make and I feel your pain! Maybe someone on here as a better solution for you!

Good Luck. 

Our Visa Journey:

2 April 2018: Married in Santa Ana, California 💒

6 June 2019: Birth of our daughter 👶👨‍👩‍👧

14 October 2019: Sent I-130 package via AusPost 📮 

18 October 2019: NOA1 received - sent to Texas Service Centre :D

24 October 2019: USCIS processed filing fee 🤑 waiting game 🕰️

22 January 2020: Andy moved back to the USA😞 🇺🇸 - re-establish domicile & to get a job 👨‍⚕️

23 February 2020: Petition transferred from Texas Service Centre to Nebraska Service Centre 😞

15 May 2020: I-130 petition approved! 😭😍 Date changes leading up to the approval were: 1 May, 12 May, 13 May. 

16 May 2020: Received NVC email, paid all fees. Waiting for fees to process so we can upload and submit all documents

19 May 2020: Immigrant visa Fees PROCESSED; affidavit of support fee PROCESSED 

28 May 2020: Submitted VISA application, civil documents & affidavit of support documents. Patiently awaiting DQ. 

2 June 2020: Email received from NVC stating that we have been Documentary Qualified and that they will liaise with US Consulate in Sydney for Interview 🐨

27 June 2020: Expedite request submitted 🤞

7 July 2020: Expedite request APPROVED! 😃😭

15 July 2020: Email received advising of interview date and time. 
20 July 2020: Medical i: n Melbourne CBD 🏥     
28 July 2020: US visa interview at US consulate Sydney - refused 221(g) issued. Request for joint sponsor 😞

31 July 2020: uploaded joint sponsor to NVC, emailed consulate 

5 August 2020: emailed received advising they have received the joint sponsor 

7 August 2020: case i0n “administrative processing” 🤞

10 August 2020: visa ISSUED 😭 

12 August 2020: passport and visa in hand!

2 minutes ago, zochu said:

I am in the same position as you, but my husband is the USC and we have a 4 month old daughter. However, we have made the difficult decision for him to move back to the States without us whilst we await the NOA2 and the overall visa approval so he can re-establish domicile and get a job. 

Your husband is not allowed to enter the US on a tourist visa with immigration intent. With your case now being at the NVC, your husband might find it difficult to obtain a tourist visa with a pending immigrant visa ... 

How are you proving domicile? There are things you can do whilst living abroad.

Have you made inquiries into rentals (emails to realtors)? What about emails schools/day care etc? Updated resume for US job applications? That will help prove that once your husband is granted a US visa that you intend on re-establishing domicile. 

What about tying this up in the current country your in? Emails advising you intend to break a lease soon due to moving etc? 

Moving back to the US will fix that completely though. It is a hard decision to make and I feel your pain! Maybe someone on here as a better solution for you!

Good Luck. 

Thanks so much.  How brave of you to send him back! it's a huge move, but should prove good for you in the long run?!  I have just made an enquiry into some rentals (but so hard to do when you don't have a firm time frame!) but intend to live with my sister (and will have to draw up a lease or a letter saying so), have emailed daycares about enrollment, but haven't yet done too much on the job front given i'm not sure of when exactly we would be there.  our docs have been submitted, but i'm just waiting for them say we need more...the anixety!!! good luck and thanks for your reply.

1 minute ago, stephanie918 said:

Thanks so much.  How brave of you to send him back! it's a huge move, but should prove good for you in the long run?!  I have just made an enquiry into some rentals (but so hard to do when you don't have a firm time frame!) but intend to live with my sister (and will have to draw up a lease or a letter saying so), have emailed daycares about enrollment, but haven't yet done too much on the job front given i'm not sure of when exactly we would be there.  our docs have been submitted, but i'm just waiting for them say we need more...the anixety!!! good luck and thanks for your reply.

I would get a lease drawn up from your sister accompanied with a letter. 

Emails to realtors is fine, it show you are actively looking for a place to live in the US, same with daycare inquiries and job applications - it just shows the Consular Officials that you intend to live in the US, even if those jobs are not going to happen give time frames.

Maybe even a letter outlining that you intend to move back to the United States once your husband is granted a visa and that it is hard to move with two young children?

I am not a CO nor an immigration attorney but I think what you've supplied is sufficient in your situation, but I could be wrong. Is the visa your on temporary in the other country? Can you write up a resignation letter for your current employment? 

I hope it is a smart move for us in the long run. If we run into any issues with the US immigration system we will start the same process for Australia. 

Our Visa Journey:

2 April 2018: Married in Santa Ana, California 💒

6 June 2019: Birth of our daughter 👶👨‍👩‍👧

14 October 2019: Sent I-130 package via AusPost 📮 

18 October 2019: NOA1 received - sent to Texas Service Centre :D

24 October 2019: USCIS processed filing fee 🤑 waiting game 🕰️

22 January 2020: Andy moved back to the USA😞 🇺🇸 - re-establish domicile & to get a job 👨‍⚕️

23 February 2020: Petition transferred from Texas Service Centre to Nebraska Service Centre 😞

15 May 2020: I-130 petition approved! 😭😍 Date changes leading up to the approval were: 1 May, 12 May, 13 May. 

16 May 2020: Received NVC email, paid all fees. Waiting for fees to process so we can upload and submit all documents

19 May 2020: Immigrant visa Fees PROCESSED; affidavit of support fee PROCESSED 

28 May 2020: Submitted VISA application, civil documents & affidavit of support documents. Patiently awaiting DQ. 

2 June 2020: Email received from NVC stating that we have been Documentary Qualified and that they will liaise with US Consulate in Sydney for Interview 🐨

27 June 2020: Expedite request submitted 🤞

7 July 2020: Expedite request APPROVED! 😃😭

15 July 2020: Email received advising of interview date and time. 
20 July 2020: Medical i: n Melbourne CBD 🏥     
28 July 2020: US visa interview at US consulate Sydney - refused 221(g) issued. Request for joint sponsor 😞

31 July 2020: uploaded joint sponsor to NVC, emailed consulate 

5 August 2020: emailed received advising they have received the joint sponsor 

7 August 2020: case i0n “administrative processing” 🤞

10 August 2020: visa ISSUED 😭 

12 August 2020: passport and visa in hand!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
1 hour ago, stephanie918 said:

Hi,

my husband and I both live overseas, and are awaiting our docs to be processed by NVC.  we would be going for an interview in Sydney.  

I'm starting to think we might get denied based on domicile, which has been difficult to prove as we obviously won't be getting jobs in the US or a lease without knowing any sort of timeline at this point.  

My question is, if we do get denied and have to prove domicile, is it possible to go to the US (him on a tourist visa), then me find a job/get a lease, and apply for an adjustment of status for him? I'm assuming that's a whole separate visa, but not sure if that's even an option if our CR1 is still pending.  Just trying to think of options as I don't want to move back to the US without him as we have 2 young kids, so it really isn't feasible.  is an adjustment of status allowed??

Moving to the US on a tourist visa is not an option.  It's not possible to immigrate to the US on a non-immigrant tourist visa with the intent to adjust status.  That's immigration fraud.

Your husband must wait for his CR-1 visa in order to immigrate to the US.  

4 hours ago, stephanie918 said:

Hi,

You can move, he cannot. What you are suggesting is fraud. 

Its easy enough to close up shop there based on a month or two after his interview.  Inquire into leases and rentals in the area you will be living. Getting a signed lease from family members where you will be staying temporarily.  Enrolling your children in the school they should be going to. 

There's lots you can do. 

Plenty of people raise two children as a single parent. People like to say these aort of things arent feasible or possible just because they've never done it.  Unless your children are both very special needs, it's feasible for one parent to raise them alone for a month or two. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

8 hours ago, stephanie918 said:

My question is, if we do get denied and have to prove domicile, is it possible to go to the US (him on a tourist visa), then me find a job/get a lease, and apply for an adjustment of status for him?

Please don't do this.  It is fraud. 

8 hours ago, stephanie918 said:

Just trying to think of options as I don't want to move back to the US without him as we have 2 young kids, so it really isn't feasible.

People do this all the time in order to satisfy the domicile and income requirements.  How will you sponsor him without a source of US income?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
13 hours ago, stephanie918 said:

is it possible to go to the US (him on a tourist visa), then me find a job/get a lease, and apply for an adjustment of status for him?

Absolutely not

**Moderator hat on**

***Thread closed to additional discussion under the below quoted provision of the TOS; OP can create a new thread about domicile issues as long as it remains within the confines of the TOS.***

By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using the Service, you will not:

• Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.