Imran99

Online I 130 time reduced

20 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, SaeedA said:

My original response lacked clarity.

I said "assuming" it makes things faster. Also, I said things being faster is dependent on rate of application intake staying the same.

I tired saying any gains in throughput would probably be nullified by increase in applications. 

I didn't say it will make things faster for sure.

I hadn't thought about the how things would speed up when I wrote my post. However, reading your response gave me one possible idea. Reallocation of freed up resources to actual case processing. Money saved can be used to hire and train more officers who process the cases.

Of course, that depends on what the current administration wants to accomplish with this move. Free up more money for immigration enforcement or reduce legal immigration delays.

I do believe I read somewhere that the mail room people at the lock boxes are contracted from a private company and not actual USCIS employees. How long it would take to train people to be adjudicators and how long it would take to get the extra office space (new builds? Extensions to existing office buildings?) is another matter. That would take years before we saw any improvement in processing times. Maybe the lock box staff don’t want to become adjudicators? So many variables. But we agree that it all comes down to how much public spending the current administration wishes to devote to the process. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Hijack posts removed~~~

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

On 11/4/2019 at 5:24 AM, JFH said:

contracted from a private company and not actual USCIS employees.

I think I read the same on a LinkedIn post or something - maybe it was JP Morgan or something??

One might think that eventually with forms "online" that processing times across the centers might balance out.  It really shouldn't matter what center your case is at, it should all be FIFO if you ask me.  That's what is most frustrating, its just luck/chance.  Someone could file their i130 months after I filed mine, get Texas or Potamac, and get their's approved before mine (because mine's at Nebraska).  I also wish there could be certain circumstances that could put your case into a "fast lane" - some criteria like number of years married, beneficiary coming from countries perhaps already part of VWP or something.  Plenty of red flags to slow you down but nothing to help speed anything up...

• 2 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You have to be really naive to think that the forms are only read by the officer when they open your case, and all that data never see the light of day after that. There's probably all kinds of background checks and automated processes that requires those forms to be digitalized (why do you think you need to use black ink only?).

For this reason, I'm sure online processing, by itself, will be faster. Even the process of moving paper is an overhead that doesn't exist with the digital format.

It almost feels like people who did the paper form are hoping that online processing is slower... jeez....

I-130

12/13/19 - Married in the US to US Citizen
01/26/20 - Submitted I-130 online application
01/26/20 - Received date / Receipt notice date / Priority date
05/26/20 - Approval notice date

AOS

08/06/20 - AOS (I-485, I-864, I-765, I-131) sent to Chicago lockbox through UPS
08/10/20 - USCIS received AOS documents signed by Harris

08/26/20 - Check cashed by USCIS

08/30/20 - Received text messages with receipt numbers for I-485, I-765 & I-131

09/03/20 - Received NOA1 in the mail for I-485, I-765 & I-131

10/05/20 - Received RFIE for missing I-944

10/06/20RFIE response sent to USCIS Lee's Summit's office through UPS
10/09/20 - USCIS received RFIE response
01/23/21 - Received Biometrics appointment notice

02/11/21 - Biometrics appointment (Code 3)

02/12/21 - Status changed to "Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken" (I-765)

02/17/21 - Status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced" (I-765)

02/17/21 - Status changed to "Case Was Approved" (I-765 & I-131)
02/22/21 - Status changed to "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview" (I-485)

02/25/21 - Received combo card in the mail (Flagged as lost by USPS)

03/03/21 - Received combo card in the mail
08/16/21 - Status updated to "Interview Was Scheduled" (for Sep 14)
08/25/21 - Interview was cancelled

44 minutes ago, OhWow said:

You have to be really naive to think that the forms are only read by the officer when they open your case, and all that data never see the light of day after that. There's probably all kinds of background checks and automated processes that requires those forms to be digitalized (why do you think you need to use black ink only?).

Because black ink shows up well when a document is covered to grayscale or B&W.

Digitization of the documents submitted has been around for many years. That's one of the reasons why they don't accept photo books, suggest not using sleeves, etc. Anything sent must be something they can scan.

The data from any document submitted for any immigration benefit is open for review. For an I-130 specifically, it is reviewed by USCIS, then the CO, possible during ROC, possibly during naturalization, and possibly again iof they ever petition somebody else.

44 minutes ago, OhWow said:

For this reason, I'm sure online processing, by itself, will be faster. Even the process of moving paper is an overhead that doesn't exist with the digital format.

It almost feels like people who did the paper form are hoping that online processing is slower... jeez....

I don't think anybody is suggesting it won't be faster, at least once kinks are worked out. It's just that the primary delay is not a function of moving physical documents but of the backlog to review the documents. Submitting the documents electronically will be faster than mailing + scanning like they do now.

After that, the document sits waiting for review & adjudication. There may or may not be very marginal improvements from there before adjudication.

Sending the approved petition to NVC, once they get the kinks worked out, will probably be faster as there is no mailing required again.

I don't think anybody is hoping the process will be slower. It's just that there's not a reason to believe it will have a significant impact on the overall timeline. We're talking a couple weeks (mailing/scanning times) out of a process that is taking over a year on average. That's good, but not a whole lot to get excited about.

Personally, I'm more excited that it is a simpler process IMO, and much less prone to error. You can't forget a signature. Wrong payment issues should be resolved. Documents getting lost shouldn't be a thing. Missing fields should be much less frequent.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.