Maria002

Letter from IRS that needs to pay tax due - K1

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Good morning. Yesterday my fiance (The petitioner) got a mail from IRS saying that  his taxes from 2016  were audited and that he should pay about 300$. He showed it to me and  they make it look like he didn't estimate correctly his income for that year.

I suggested he call the company he  hired to  declare his taxes for that year  and ask them why he got that debt (because he thinks he declared everything) . I am worried that if they commited some mistake for that year they could have  possible do it for thw following years too?

Also my fiance thinks that this could affect us in our K1 visa process - "Affidavit of support" (maybe at the interview if not before). 

I was wondering  what would be the best he can do in this case? Maybe just pay what he was asked to pay? should we consider something else?

I am really not very familiar with taxes. Thanks

Edited by Maria002

K1

08/24/2019: I-129F Mailed

08/26/2019: NOA1 Text Message

12/13/2019: NOA2 (through tracking app)

AOS

08/08/20 Documents sent

08/27/20 Check cashed

08/31/20 SMS received

09/08/20 NOA received

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Maria002 said:

Good morning. Yesterday my fiance (The petitioner) got a mail from IRS saying that  his taxes from 2016  were audited and that he should pay about 300$. He showed it to me and  they make it look like he didn't estimate correctly his income for that year.

I suggested he call the company he  hired to  declare his taxes for that year  and ask them why he got that debt (because he thinks he declared everything) . I am worried that if they commited some mistake for that year they could have  possible do it for thw following years too?

Also my fiance thinks that this could affect us in our K1 visa process (maybe at the interview if not before). 

I was wondering  what would be the best he can do in this case? Maybe just pay what he was asked to pay? should we consider something else?

No effect on your Visa 

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

No effect on your Visa 

Wouldn't it affect us if they see it  on the "Affidavit of support"?

K1

AOS

08/08/20 Documents sent

08/27/20 Check cashed

08/31/20 SMS received

09/08/20 NOA received

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Maria002 said:

Wouldn't it affect us if they see it  on the "Affidavit of support"?

It's not an item disclosed on the affidavit 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Maria002 said:

Also my fiance thinks that this could affect us in our K1 visa process - "Affidavit of support" (maybe at the interview if not before). 

No it will have no affect on the K-1. 

the only thing you disclose on the affidavit is your AGI for the tax year. 

Timeline

Thank you for your responses 🙌🌟. we feel much better about it.

K1

AOS

08/08/20 Documents sent

08/27/20 Check cashed

08/31/20 SMS received

09/08/20 NOA received

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
8 hours ago, Maria002 said:

Thank you for your responses 🙌🌟. we feel much better about it.

But he still has to get it settled with the IRS and quickly, they can start assessing penalties, that can add up, like rabbits....lol.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

19 minutes ago, Pitaya said:

But he still has to get it settled with the IRS and quickly, they can start assessing penalties, that can add up, like rabbits....lol.

Trust me on that... That interest and penalties add up quick

*~*~*moved from “K-1 fiancé visa progress reports” to “taxes and finances” - question about the IRS*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.