Heavenlee

What do I put for my employment?

12 posts in this topic

I'm having trouble deciding what to put down for my employment part of the application, i am the petitioner and I'm kind of a freelance artist?? I draw clothing for an online game and my virtual sales I can exchange for some real cash, but I am not actually employed by the game or anything?? I also haven't filed taxes for this yet because Ive only been doing this for about half a year now. 

also how do I fill it out as a freelance artist/ self employed?

Edited by Heavenlee

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Heavenlee said:

I'm having trouble deciding what to put down for my employment part of the application, i am the petitioner and I'm kind of a freelance artist?? I draw clothing for an online game and my virtual sales I can exchange for some real cash, but I am not actually employed by the game or anything?? I also haven't filed taxes for this yet because Ive only been doing this for about half a year now. 

Self employed or freelance artist 

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Heavenlee said:

Did you file taxes in 2018?

You're self employed. 

13 minutes ago, Heavenlee said:

also how do I fill it out as a freelance artist/ self employed?

You will need to be up to date on filing taxes.  Also I would imagine you will need a joint sponsor when it comes time for that part.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Heavenlee said:

I havent been doing it long enough to file taxes yet and I do have a joint sponser
I just want to know how Im supposed to fill out the employment part

And you were told 

YMMV

I know what to put for my employment, I just am confused about how I will fill out the affidavit of support afterwards that is required at the interview...I do have a joint sponsor but I know I also have to fill out the form as well...since I haven't filed taxes for this or anything I'm a little confused. 

Timeline
43 minutes ago, Heavenlee said:

I know what to put for my employment, I just am confused about how I will fill out the affidavit of support afterwards that is required at the interview...I do have a joint sponsor but I know I also have to fill out the form as well...since I haven't filed taxes for this or anything I'm a little confused. 

If you are just doing the i129f,  you have time to worry about the affidavit as you will probably not interview until after your 2019 taxes are due 

YMMV

5 minutes ago, Kumar01 said:

The question is whether you should put down that you're employed since you're earning income. To me the answer is if you're going to file next year for income earned this year, then yes, you count your current line of work as employment ("self employed"). If you didn't earn enough income to declare for next year, then you still are employed but you won't be capable of being the joint sponsor. In addition, you should ask your CPA whether you're a DBA and you're getting a 1099.

OP, as the petitioner, will be the primary sponsor regardless of income or tax filing status.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
8 hours ago, Heavenlee said:

You will need joint sponsors... Just fill out K1 first you get approved then you move to the next step meanwhile start looking for friends and family that will Co sponsor you beneficiary 

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

I'm self employed. As a self employed person, you still need to file taxes. If you made more than $600 in 2018, you should have filed your 2018 taxes with a schedule C earlier this year when taxes were due. If not and you made more than that this year, you will be required to file your taxes this year. You will very likely file for 2019 taxes before your interview which is where you or your fiance will present the forms.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.