bandito

Visa medical - need advice on letter from Doctor (mental health)

13 posts in this topic

Hi all, as you know I had some issues at Knightsbridge regarding my letter from my gp in relation to my mental health history, as the letter failed to mention my previous self harm and state that I have not self harmed in 2 years. I will embed the original post about this at the end of this post for anyone who wants to read it for reference.

So, I wrote to my GP on October 11th to request an edit to the original letter. I provided all of the relevant information to the receptionist and was told they would have to review my mental health history to write the letter. On October 22nd I called my GP to inquire about the letter as it had been over a week. I was told that they had finished sorting through my mental health history and were now able to begin composing the letter.

Today (October 23rd) I received a call from my GP stating that they had gathered the relevant documents together for me to collect. I went to the GP to collect my revised letter which turned out to be an envelope full of old letters from CAMHS about my treatment there, as well as an updated medical history stating that I have not self harmed in two years. I told the receptionist that it was great that my history had been updated to say this but it was not what I requested as my letter clearly stated that they should edit the original letter to state that I have not self harmed in two years, not just put it in my medical records. They told me that the secretary will not write a letter stating that as she is not a doctor and can not confirm that I have not self harmed since 2017. I explained that that’s ridiculous since it now clearly states in my medical records that I haven’t done so, so she would simply be rewording that to put into the letter. I was told that I would need an appointment with my GP to go over this letter if I needed that included in it, but I wouldn’t be able to get an appointment with any doctor at the surgery until the following week. I asked for them to have the head doctor call me tomorrow so I can discuss this with someone who is actually somewhat competent. While I was there I also wrote down for them simply what the letter should detail and handed it to the receptionist again, hoping that maybe this time they’d actually understand that the letter simply has to say that TO THEIR KNOWLEDGE I have not self harmed in two years. 

So, this situation is very tricky. I’m quickly learning that almost everyone in the world is incredibly incompetent and my patience is wearing thin. Any advice on what to do or how to proceed? Is there any chance Knightsbridge will simply accept the updated medical history?

Our petition expires in early December and my fiancee is worried that the letter won’t be completed until then. How would I go about getting an extension on the petition and how long would that take?

Filed: Timeline

I didn't read your other thread and I'm on mobile so I can't right now but I can tell you- if you have an upcoming appointment for the medical then go to it with what you have.

If the Dr doesn't like what you have they will send you to the psych Dr for an evaluation. This will add some time and of course you will pay $$. But the psych exam is basically just one session where they will chat with you about your history and current situation. You should have no problem getting them to sign off that you are not a threat to yourself and others.

So go to the medical appointment and take it from there. Do not postpone it trying to get more documents because most likely even with awesome documents you will still be sent to the psych Dr. 

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Sorry to hear about your situation. However you shouldn't take your frustration out with the secretary. The letter must come from the medical professional, as she is not one, she is in no position to write this letter for you. You are almost there, just keep patient a little bit longer! Have you contacted Knightsbridge to see if they will accept what you have? Otherwise another week isnt too much longer to wait! Good luck!

2 minutes ago, designguy said:

Sorry to hear about your situation. However you shouldn't take your frustration out with the secretary. The letter must come from the medical professional, as she is not one, she is in no position to write this letter for you. You are almost there, just keep patient a little bit longer! Have you contacted Knightsbridge to see if they will accept what you have? Otherwise another week isnt too much longer to wait! Good luck!

I'm not taking my frustration out on the secretary, I haven't even met her or spoken to her directly, all of the information gets passed on to her from the receptionists. I actually requested that the letter be written by my doctor but it is my GPs procedure that the secretary types up the letters and the doctor looks over them and signs them. And I honestly don't see why the secretary can't simply write a single sentence stating that I haven't self harmed in two years when it literally says that in my medical records. I am planning on calling Knightsbridge tomorrow and seeing if they will accept the medical records instead. I doubt it will take just one more week as everyone who works there seems to take at least two weeks to write a single sentence lol

Timeline
2 minutes ago, bandito said:

And I honestly don't see why the secretary can't simply write a single sentence stating that I haven't self harmed in two years when it literally says that in my medical records.

The letter in the other post said "Dear Doctor". Unless its coming and signed by the medical doctor it will have no weight.

2 minutes ago, designguy said:

The letter in the other post said "Dear Doctor". Unless its coming and signed by the medical doctor it will have no weight.

It will be signed by the doctor. As I said it is my GPs procedure to have the secretary type up the letter (usually after reviewing the patients medical history) and then have to doctor read and sign the letter. I already had one of these letters completed for the medical at knightsbridge - it will be fine as long as the doctor signs it.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, designguy said:

You’re on a work visa from Germany, the procedure for England K1s is different from the procedure in other countries, which is why OP posted in the United Kingdom regional forum. A secretary’s note was apparently fine for Knightsbridge as long as it was signed by the GP and included what needed to be said.

Edited by mogiftney

"Well, I Was Sleeping, Y'Know, And My Mother, Who Passed When I Was Very Young, Y'Know, She Appeared In A Dream, Y'Know, And She Told Me, Y'Know, Very Gently To Just Let It Be, And So The Next Morning I Went Right Over To The Piano, Y'Know, And I Began To, Y'Know, Write The Song, Y'Know"

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Villanelle said:

I didn't read your other thread and I'm on mobile so I can't right now but I can tell you- if you have an upcoming appointment for the medical then go to it with what you have.

If the Dr doesn't like what you have they will send you to the psych Dr for an evaluation. This will add some time and of course you will pay $$. But the psych exam is basically just one session where they will chat with you about your history and current situation. You should have no problem getting them to sign off that you are not a threat to yourself and others.

So go to the medical appointment and take it from there. Do not postpone it trying to get more documents because most likely even with awesome documents you will still be sent to the psych Dr. 

OP has already been to Knightsbridge for the medical and was told to get the note edited. They didn’t request a psych evaluation at the medical. 

"Well, I Was Sleeping, Y'Know, And My Mother, Who Passed When I Was Very Young, Y'Know, She Appeared In A Dream, Y'Know, And She Told Me, Y'Know, Very Gently To Just Let It Be, And So The Next Morning I Went Right Over To The Piano, Y'Know, And I Began To, Y'Know, Write The Song, Y'Know"

Timeline
1 minute ago, mogiftney said:

You’re on a work visa from Germany, the procedure for England K1s is different from the procedure in other countries, which is why OP posted in the United Kingdom regional forum. 

Medical requirements are not region specific nor specific to any visa class. There are DOS standards. From the original post it wasn't clear that the OP mean't the doctor would be signing the letter, not getting it directly from the secretary, which they then clarified.

6 hours ago, bandito said:

Our petition expires in early December and my fiancee is worried that the letter won’t be completed until then. How would I go about getting an extension on the petition and how long would that take?

If you search "k-1 petition expired London" on here you will find lots of results, but suffice it to say that it's not a problem. You just might need to bring a new letter of intent to marry to the interview.

Just to add to this - it doesn’t matter if your petition expires. London will auto-renew for up to 12 months. Only thing you need to do is take a updated letter of intent to marry to the interview, signed by the petitioner.

My interview was more than a month after my petition expired and they were completely fine with it, as I had a new LOI.

7 hours ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

Annnnd, apparently I didn’t see @JoannaV’s post above 🙈

Haha, adding the recent personal relevant experience is always good! I was just repeating what I'd read on the internet. 🤣

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.