laylalex

Just re-entered on existing L1B but now engaged to USC

28 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

EAD's are taking 6 months or so, difficult to forecast this stuff so something to think about.

Wow! Okay, that puts a new wrinkle in things. How often are L1B renewals NOT approved? There's nothing that's really changed -- he's still got the same job, clearly still works for the same multi-national company. No arrests, not even a parking ticket. It would be great if we could say, well, the likelihood of approval of the renewal is really high, so we can take our time planning a wedding rather than having to do it all in a rush. I think he's got just under 12 months left now on his existing visa. 

I know his company is in charge of all the L1 stuff but obviously if we need to speed things up on the AOS side I'd like to think about it now so I can get things lined up. Are there certain things that might cause him not to get it renewed?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The main and most common issue would be if the Employer did not want to renew it, sounds like a normal renewal otherwise.

Well not that common, but all other things being equal that would be the place to look.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

13 minutes ago, Boiler said:

The main and most common issue would be if the Employer did not want to renew it, sounds like a normal renewal otherwise.

Well not that common, but all other things being equal that would be the place to look.

His employer wants to keep him on here in the US, they discussed that a couple of weeks ago when he was in London. So I guess it wouldn't be too much of an issue.

What would not be that common if I can ask?

Timeline

I would have to think really hard to come up with any L renewal refusals, I have seen extended AP for renewals for those from dodgy countries but they usually get cleared. 

The most common scenario I have come across is where the employee wants to stay and the Employer is not willing. Or the time runs out and no GC sponsorship. Which is sort of the same thing.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

I would have to think really hard to come up with any L renewal refusals, I have seen extended AP for renewals for those from dodgy countries but they usually get cleared. 

The most common scenario I have come across is where the employee wants to stay and the Employer is not willing. Or the time runs out and no GC sponsorship. Which is sort of the same thing.

Thank you! I guess we can just carry on as we were then without needing to run out and get married right away. :) 

Timeline

Well you missed out on your chance at Gretna Green.

Edited by Boiler

35 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Well you missed out on your chance at Gretna Green.

I have read enough trashy historical romance novels to know that those marriages rarely last! :P 

The classy folk in trashy historical romance novels always get a special license. :D 

(Please don't hate on my love of trashy historical romance novels.)

Timeline

I know you lost your Netflix access but there is a good version of Sense and Sensibility on Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07C1H2YXB/ref=atv_hm_hom_1_c_iEgOEZ_2_6

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline
23 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Sweet!  My husband and I were penpals in the 1980s (met in person once), reconnected on FB 4 years ago, and today is our 1st wedding anniversary ❤️

Wow, that's a sweet story! Happy Anniversary!

3 hours ago, Boiler said:

I know you lost your Netflix access but there is a good version of Sense and Sensibility on Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07C1H2YXB/ref=atv_hm_hom_1_c_iEgOEZ_2_6

Watched most of the first episode -- it is very good indeed! I had seen the one with Emma Thompson but I think this one is more like the book. My favorite Austen is Persuasion but S&S is always a goodie. :D 

Timeline

I could not quite understand how we were supposed to believe Emma Thompson was 19.

7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I could not quite understand how we were supposed to believe Emma Thompson was 19.

I think I was about 10 or something when that movie came out and she looked like my MOM! :lol: Kate Winslet was way more believable. 

But then again I think they cast Billie Piper in Mansfield Park so 🤷‍♀️

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.