JFH

They swerved to avoid hitting an animal, now they are in ICE custody

46 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
2 hours ago, HeatDeath said:

I was thinking of posting this yesterday but I got busy. Nothing about this story as presented by that hack at the WP passes the sniff test.

A really interesting wrinkle to the NYT version of this story that the WP completely failed to mention was that Canada refused to readmit them.

Like, say what? That's kinda relevant. It might even be the whole d*mn story.

It's pretty freakin' sad when the NY freakin' T is the balanced reasonable coverage. Every other paper on the planet just reprinted the WP hack job verbatim.

Yes they do, but what's worse is that they still consider WaPo to be a reliable source and people still accept it unquestioningly. Journalism is truly dead, propaganda is alive and well.

4 minutes ago, theresaL said:

Yes they do, but what's worse is that they still consider WaPo to be a reliable source and people still accept it unquestioningly. Journalism is truly dead, propaganda is alive and well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/us-officials-say-british-family-illegally-crossed-border-from-canada-on-purpose/2019/10/15/e184cc68-ef7f-11e9-b648-76bcf86eb67e_story.html

“Attempts were made to return the individuals to Canada, however, Canada refused to allow their return and two attempts to contact the United Kingdom consulate were unsuccessful,” the CBP statement read.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Inappropriate post removed, along with two quoting said post.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

19 hours ago, JFH said:

My husband has done time in prison here in the US. In fact, he has been in a few jails and prisons as they tend to get moved around. Every single one was kept at a cold temperature, he always tells me. Apparently people are less aggressive when they are cold. Also they are big rooms with little furniture and no carpet. Move all the furniture and carpets out of your house and you’ll think it’s cold. 

So this is the only part of their story that I actually believe. 

It also slows spread of sickness. Bacteria isn't going  to grow out of control vs. a humid warm environment

Edited by JMPM

01/28/2019 - Mailed Express Mail USCIS Lockbox Phoenix

01/29/2019 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox
02/04/2019 - Receipt Notice Via Text Message assigned to Nebraska Service Center 

1 hour ago, Rose711 said:

How could they not reach the British consulate if they are U.K. citizens? Just asking because I’m curious.

Consulates are not open 24/7 - and it's not an emergency. They have to be notified, but they can't "save" them, simply provide assistance in finding a lawyer and communicating with their family, if needed. 

2 hours ago, Rose711 said:

How could they not reach the British consulate if they are U.K. citizens? Just asking because I’m curious.

Apparently it was late at night. No one’s life was at risk so there was no one to take the call, it was probably a “leave a message” scenario.

My next question is about the money. Do we know what currency it was? I’ve seen reports of $16,000 but was that in US dollars? If they had American money with them then it’s very suspicious. Why would they need that if they truly had no intention of setting foot in the USA? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

Carrying $16000 cash in any currency is highly suspicious in almost any context (deeply eccentric, at best), let alone in a car quietly sneaking across the US border in the middle of the night (!), containing multiple adults who have been denied US visas (!!), and who are subsequently denied reentry to Canada (!!!).

[None of which was thought to be terribly relevant by the first WP "journalist". Propaganda, indeed!]

Their being detained is the system working completely and perfectly as designed. You can quibble about the conditions in the detention centers, but there is much more than reasonable probable cause here to suspect attempted illegal immigration, and detaining them pending deportation to the UK was absolutely the correct thing to do.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I find it hard to believe that it took them that long to brake and stop the vehicle after swerving, "accidently" crossing the border.   

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, geowrian said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/us-officials-say-british-family-illegally-crossed-border-from-canada-on-purpose/2019/10/15/e184cc68-ef7f-11e9-b648-76bcf86eb67e_story.html

“Attempts were made to return the individuals to Canada, however, Canada refused to allow their return and two attempts to contact the United Kingdom consulate were unsuccessful,” the CBP statement read.

So I take it they will be stuck for a while??

Timeline

The various articles have said they expect the actual deportation back to the UK to happen this week, perhaps as early as today, but they were picked up on the 2nd so yeah, it's been a little while.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

They have been released from ICE custody so presumably now deported. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

So apparently Canada's policy is to automatically deny entry to any non-Canadian in CBP/ICE custody for crossing the US border illegally. As non-citizens, Canada isn't obligated to accept them, so they don't.

So that in and of itself doesn't imply that CBP is being reasonable here.

But the $16k in the car? That's a showstopper for the benefit of the doubt right there. Nobody just happens to be carrying that kind of cash when on an "innocent Sunday drive while on vacation in Canada".

Nobody.

Either they were trying to immigrate illegally, or they were planning to do some extremely shady cash purchases with that money.

DON'T PANIC

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.