Zoeeeeeee

One month to go - emigration checklist

45 posts in this topic

TBH it's been a rollercoaster for me. I've only got as far as attempting to sort my bank accounts and going through this: https://www.gov.uk/moving-or-retiring-abroad

Definitely renew your UK license so you can print your Driving License Summary (https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence). Saved us loads on our car insurance after my husband got his AB 60 drivers license.

On 10/14/2019 at 8:29 PM, Mrs. M said:

Definitely renew your UK license so you can print your Driving License Summary (https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence). Saved us loads on our car insurance after my husband got his AB 60 drivers license.

Fab, thank you! I’ve contacted the DVLA today to get a renewal form.

Can you tell me more about your husband’s AB-60? When did he apply for it? How long did it take to get it? Which DMV did he use?

Edited by Zoeeeeeee

As soon as my husband received his social security card we went straight to the DMV to apply for his AB 60. When we got there (at 7 a.m. to avoid massive lines) we were told that he could either apply for the regular Driver's License, assuming he had his I-797 as proof that he had a pending green card application or we could come back and apply for his AB 60 when he only had 30 days or less left on his K1 visa. Basically he was too "legal" for the AB 60 and too "illegal " for the regular license (we hadn't received the I-797 yet). I've read that the regular license would only be valid while his K1 was valid and the DMV guy didn't say otherwise, so we went back as soon as he only had 30 days left on his K1 visa, and had no problem applying for the AB 60 (again we went at 7 a.m. to avoid massive lines). They asked to see his social security card, passport with the K1, and proof of CA residency (we gave our lease and electric bill that both had his name on them). They took his fingerprint and let him take the written test. He passed so had his picture taken and was given a driving permit that allowed him to drive as long as someone over 18 was in the car with him. I added him to my car insurance and the agent was extremely happy to see his driving summary, as it decreased our insurance premium by a lot!

The same day he passed his written test, we went online and made an appointment for his behind the wheel driving test. All the local DMVs had no appointments until the end of November, so we booked something the same week all the way in Lake Isabella - the drive was worth it to avoid the wait. Now we're just waiting to get his actual license in the mail, whew! 

Edited by Mrs. M

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
On 10/13/2019 at 9:16 AM, Zoeeeeeee said:

See, I’d originally planned to apply for an AB 60, however, read a thread on here that said I can’t until after the 90 days are up...

I applied for mine with my i-94, and it's true that it is only valid for the remainder of the time left on it, however I was informed at the DMV that when my notice of action for I-797c for my EAD came in and as long as it wasn't a refusal they would extend it as it states on it the application is pending for at least 180 days, I received that, took it in and tada, I now have a further 180 days, and then when the EAD is approved, all being well, I need to pop down again with it and have it extended again 

4 hours ago, ConnorS said:

I applied for mine with my i-94, and it's true that it is only valid for the remainder of the time left on it, however I was informed at the DMV that when my notice of action for I-797c for my EAD came in and as long as it wasn't a refusal they would extend it as it states on it the application is pending for at least 180 days, I received that, took it in and tada, I now have a further 180 days, and then when the EAD is approved, all being well, I need to pop down again with it and have it extended again 

Good to know! I might see if my husband's up for another trip to the DMV now that we have the I-797.

Just wanted to give a quick update re where I’m at with my list (and add an extra thing that I’d forgotten about):

On 10/13/2019 at 9:57 AM, Zoeeeeeee said:

• Renew medical driving license (expires early next year - mine are only issued for 3 years due to diabetes)

Renewal form sent (no fee to renew 🙃)

• Contact HMRC to arrange income tax refund (anyone know if I can do this the day before I leave, or do I have to wait until I’ve left and then do it? My last day at work is 8th November and I’m emigrating on 13th November - I’ll receive my last wage packet on 24th November - so does this mean I need to wait until after 24th November?)

Going to wait until after 24th November 

• Cancel phone contract

Will be doing this a day or two before I leave, so I can use my phone over there for a month and not worry about getting a new phone/contract immediately (I’m with 3, so can use my phone in US with no additional charges).

• Contact pension company to arrange transferring money to 401K (I’m with Fidelity, who also operate in the US, so luckily, my pension can be moved over).

• Print off all payslips for 2019.

• Scrap car (31st October) - notify DVLA of change of ownership.

Car pick up booked with local firm for 31st and car rental arranged for the following week (my car is due it’s MOT and there’s no way it’ll pass without work being done on it).

• Register for proxy vote online

• Call student loan company to let them know I’m moving/find out how much I owe them.

Called and found I only owed them £79, so paid in full - I’M NOW STUDENT LOAN FREE!! 😊

• Print off AOS forms and check what documents I need to bring with me for that (if anyone has a list, I’d much appreciate it!)

• Arrange for suitcase to be shipped (flying with two, will have a third shipped separately, as cheaper to do that)

• Get six months supply of meds from GP (appointment is this week to arrange this).

Six month supply prescribed, picking up next week! 

I’ve also purchased a couple of months’ ‘inbound immigrant’ health insurance, to tide me over until we’re married.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

A question I had is will you have to pay any duty on items you bring with you into the US?

I've been watching a lot of those Border Patrol programmes as research, and I've seen a few Green Card holders and Permanent residents be charged duty for importing personal items in to the US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Kris & Crystal said:

A question I had is will you have to pay any duty on items you bring with you into the US?

I've been watching a lot of those Border Patrol programmes as research, and I've seen a few Green Card holders and Permanent residents be charged duty for importing personal items in to the US.

On your things you've already owned a year --no.

If you take new items, with tags, gifts, etc --you are subject to the limit or pay duty if you exceed the limit. There are also rules about 200 cigarettes, one liter of alcohol, etc.

24 minutes ago, Kris & Crystal said:

I’m sure I’ve read on here that your personal effects, when emigrating, are listed as household goods and no charges are levied for them?

@Wuozopo, I feel like you advised re this?

Just now, Wuozopo said:

On your things you've already owned a year --no.

If you take new items, with tags, gifts, etc --you are subject to the limit or pay duty if you exceed the limit. There are also rules about 200 cigarettes, one liter of alcohol, etc.

Jinx!!

Timeline

Basically, your phone and laptop are fine, but don't bring a dozen new in box iPhones.

Your clothing is fine, but don't bring a dozen fake Louis Vuitton handbags with tags on them.

Got it?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Basically, your phone and laptop are fine, but don't bring a dozen new in box iPhones.

Your clothing is fine, but don't bring a dozen fake Louis Vuitton handbags with tags on them.

Got it?

I work in IT so probably have more electronics than the average person. Just wanted to check.

I did plan on taking a couple of bottles of Whisky but I was going to declare that anyway.

4 minutes ago, Kris & Crystal said:

I work in IT so probably have more electronics than the average person. Just wanted to check.

I did plan on taking a couple of bottles of Whisky but I was going to declare that anyway.

Just mark down on the form ''household goods'' for all your personal items and you're just fine. Don't even think the agent looked at my husband's form anyway. He was also in IT and brought in tons of electronics and had extra insurance to cover any potential damage. Some of the stuff he had in his carryon so that was a pain whenever he needed to get the items out of the bag for TSA etc to inspect it but other than that they didn't care what junk he brought in or how much.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

I wrote Household goods on the form with no value then wrote tea bagss and cheese with their value. It didn't exceed the $200 limit or is it $100?  I forget. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.