Gitana

Unable to get police clearance

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I have lived in Kenya until 2014 and got Police Clearance Certificate just before living the country.

However i traveled to Kenya last months for 3 weeks as a tourist. I was told to obtain new Police Clearance and  I attempted to do so. 
At the CID office in Kenya I was refused because only residents can apply from inside of the country. I contacted Kenya embassy but got refusal too since i don't have originals of the documents they require( and can't obtain original such as my id card at the time of the residence) 
I can get refusal letter from the Embassy. Will it be enougj along with my old PCC? Did anyone here was unable to get PCC and what was done about it? 
Edited by Gitana

Timeline
10 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I would actually think your old PCC is fine, as your return was a tourist, not living there. Cannot absolutely guarantee that though.

unfortunately i had to get new one as i contacted the USA embassy before traveling and that's what they told me 

Edited by Gitana

Is this the process you followed to get the PCC? It indicates you can get one outside the country and as a non-resident: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Kenya.html

Police Clearance Certificates

Available

Fees: 1000 plus return postage fee

Document Name: Police Clearance Certificate (PCC)

Issuing Authority: Directorate of Criminal Investigations

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: There is no Special Seal(s) / Color / Format

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: Directorate of Criminal Investigations

Registration Criteria: Please visit cid.go.ke

Procedure for Obtaining: Please visit cid.go.ke

Certified Copies Available: Certified copies are not available

Alternate Documents: There are no alternate documents

Exceptions: None

Comments: Appropriately registered aliens or refugees that have registered with UNHCR may be issued a police clearance letter through the Refugee Affairs Secretariat (RAS). Undocumented aliens in Kenya may visit the RAS office located at Castle House, on James Gichuru Road in Nairobi. For more information visit: cid.go.ke

Links to http://www.cid.go.ke/index.php/services/police-clearance-certificate.html

FOREIGN CITIZEN (Relocated to other countries) ALL AGES

Must present him/herself with a certified copy of his country’s passport with documentary prove that he /she ever resided in Kenya for 6 months or more.
Must pay Kshs.1000.00 or its equivalent and obtain the official receipt from our foreign mission or submit the cheque payable to Director of Criminal Investigation at Nairobi-Kenya.
Must allow his/her fingerprints and palm prints to be recorded on a prescribed form at the nearest Police Station in the present country of residence.
The application consisting of original payment receipt or cheque, certified copy of passport, document of prove of resident in Kenya and fingerprints must be forwarded officially with a  covering letter from the official fingerprinting agency or Kenyan mission to DCI Headquarters Nairobi-Kenya through post or  runner.

If that is the process you followed, then I would take documentation that they will not issue a new PCC.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

2 hours ago, Gitana said:

unfortunately i had to get new one as i contacted the USA embassy before traveling and that's what they told me 

1 hour ago, geowrian said:

Is this the process you followed to get the PCC? It indicates you can get one outside the country and as a non-resident: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Kenya.html

Links to http://www.cid.go.ke/index.php/services/police-clearance-certificate.html

If that is the process you followed, then I would take documentation that they will not issue a new PCC.

If that's the case then yes geowrian is right, and the fact that you don't have the documents they require (rather than them just not issuing to non residents) is probably not going to be enough of an excuse - the DOS reciprocity table clearly states no exceptions and no alternate documents. At this point you can either try get a copy of the card you need, or take your chances and submit what you have but be prepared to be put on AP.

Timeline

i have the photocopy of my ID residence card but they require original which i don't have any more and embassy said they will not accept my application without original 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.