Loren Y

New AOS rules started 10/01/2019 Hosed us at the interview today.

37 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Went to our AOS interview for the green card today at 2:25pm appointment. Arrived early did all the things you do, was called right on time for the interview. After ID checks we get to the office and get sworn in, next comes the new English fluency test. They have questions to ask to see if your fluent enough in English to answer questions at the interview. My wife is not exactly fluent, but her English is definitely good enough to have an interview conducted asking about me, my house, when I work, cars, etc. standard AOS interview questions. The sample questions are very technical and tough for even me to answer and I have been speaking English for over 40 years. she did ok I thought, but IO wasn't too sure, so she said just to be safe they would use the new translator by phone that USCIS started just a few days ago. Well, that's where the nightmare began. She had never used the phone translator before, miscalled the number about 3 times, prank called 2 people by mistake, finally went to get her supervisor to help her dial the phone ( You would think they would do some training before they put into effect a new procedure, at least make sure they know how to use the phone), so we finally get thru to the service and now it is close to 3pm PST, here is the complete hose, the service is only available from 8am to 5 pm EST, so 5am to 2pm PST, obviously we missed that by almost an hour now. I said I am sure my wife can handle the questions in English, lets not complicate things and get this done. Supervisor said there is a whole new list of questions they are asking for the AOS interview, and you have to really understand them to answer them correctly to match the information in the petition. The only option then was to reschedule the interview, so now I have to wait for a new interview where they are going to make sure it is before 5pm eastern time. Not only did I miss a day of work, get all dressed up, and smile and be nice to the clowns the whole time, now I will have to do it all over again. So moral of the story, make sure when you go to the interview your significant other is fluent in English, or make sure you go between the hours of 8am to 5pm eastern time, or do what I am going to do is bring a translator with me the next time around. May cost a few hundred dollars to have a interpreter there at my expense, but better than missing out on a simple interview.

So, anyone ever have to reschedule their AOS interview, and how long does it take to get the new interview. She said by law they have to give us 3 weeks notice of the interview appointment, so it will probably be a month from now, and I tried to convince her that I could be here with 1 days notice no problem if needed. but now, back into the mix waiting for an interview again that who knows when it will come. SO make sure you are prepared for the " NEW" procedure that they obviously are trying to start this month with no actual training on it. Really put me in a whole new level of dissatisfaction with how the whole Homeland security is run.

Thank you for keeping us informed.  This is very helpful.  Does it have to be a professional translator?  From what I have been advised before, you can take a personal friend that is fluent in both languages (if you have one).  They just don't want the significant other doing the translation.  So, I just wanted to confirm whether that is true or not.  Also, would you be able to share some questions?

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

Loren we are going to need to know the details about the second interview.  This is pretty concerning.  Please keep us posted.

Wishing you guys good luck for next time.

Edited by Nitas_man

2 minutes ago, Fe.Ta said:

Thank you for keeping us informed.  This is very helpful.  Does it have to be a professional translator?  From what I have been advised before, you can take a personal friend that is fluent in both languages (if you have one).  They just don't want the significant other doing the translation.  So, I just wanted to confirm whether that is true or not.  Also, would you be able to share some questions?

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-2449/0-0-0-2798.html

3. Impartial and Unbiased Individual

The interpreter must be impartial and able to interpret without bias. An impartial and unbiased individual is one who does not have a predisposition or preconceived opinion about a matter. A predisposition or preconceived opinion may prevent the individual from interpreting information accurately, literally and fully or making a reliable interpreter declaration.

Can a friend be used? Yes. Does the IO have to accept them? No. There is arguably a bias in a friend doing so.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Are the new AOS rules posted someplace?

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-2449/0-0-0-2798.html

Can a friend be used? Yes. Does the IO have to accept them? No. There is arguably a bias in a friend doing so.

So, it is better to go with a professional agency to be safe and avoid further issues.  Got it, thanks! :)

Or would the option of scheduling the interview at the time frame available to use their own interpreter be better?

Edited by Fe.Ta
NA

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Sorry I couldn’t edit my previous post but : I have checked some posts about AOS interviews from other forums ( after 10/1 ) no one has mentioned these new rules and English fluency test questions. 
So this what happened seems very strange. 
I wish you luck,Loren ! Please keep us informed! 

10 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Working on a list of questions. I did check, and you are right you can bring anyone you know who can translate. The just have to have a passport or real ID so they can get in the building. I have one of her friends ready to help when we get the new interview. Hopefully I can post the questions a little later today. We only did like 2-3.

Thank you!  Although, someone did say that I guess they need to be unbiased.  So, maybe now a friend won't work.  BUT, maybe you can still take the friend AND schedule the next interview during their own translators' time and save some money in not paying a private one?  Just a suggestion.  Please keep us posted and the best of luck!  Let us know how it goes next time.

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

This is not a new rule, it's always been an effect, if you don't bring your own translator and the officer isn't sure what you are saying, they will have to find other ways.

If i don't understand someone, it will make my job harder to do, it's really not the officer's responsibility if you don't come prepared. Perhaps the phone call thing is new but regardless, you are RESPONSIBLE to bring your own translator, it avoids delays like these and even denials. What if your wife said something but the officer misunderstood her and gave her denial based on that. They are trying to help you, not waste both of your times.

my husband was nodding on few questions and she told him you have to say YES or NO, sign language isn't even allowed if you can clearly speak. They could be recording this for all we know. Good luck on your next one though!

AOS/EAD/AP ->: 11/29/18 - NOA1: 12/04/18

Biometric NOA:  12/14/18  Biometric Appt: 12/26/18

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview: 1/16/19

EAD/AP approval: 3/18/19

AOS Interview Appt: 6/4/19

AOS Interview: 7/10/19

AOS Approved: 7/23/19

GREEN CARD IN HAND: 7/26/19

"It's true, we don't have it as easy as ordinary couples. But this is no ordinary love"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hopefully I get the interview notice in the next week or so, and can get this done. I have already contacted a few professional translators and am looking at 300-500 dollars for that. Her friend is Free, but my plan is to bring the professional translator, her friend, and have the interview scheduled at a time where the phone service is available. I will fill the room. They had 4 chairs in the interview office, so I'll make sure they are all full on my next visit. I personally think she could have answered any questions fine, so do her friends who have been telling her about their experience within the past few years of doing AOS interviews, but it's at the IO discretion as mentioned. I wasn't worried about a denial, I say go for it, worse case is another 1225 dollars and a refile of the AOS I already filled out fine once, really easy to file again. The way things are going I am going to be out another 1225 by the time this interview is over anyway. Will keep everyone updated. 

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
1 hour ago, Lebanese23 said:

This is not a new rule, it's always been an effect, if you don't bring your own translator and the officer isn't sure what you are saying, they will have to find other ways.

My wife had this experience at the Social Security office when applying for her SS card.  My wife was unsure of the meaning of the first question asked by the officer and looked to me for help in answering.   It was clear my wife did not fully understand the question without additional information.  Fortunately the officer knew what to do and requested a translator on the phone to assist with the questions.   Once the translator was on the phone, everything else went smoothly.

So, I guess the moral of Loren's experience is, unless both (husband and wife) are truly  fluent english speakers (sometimes I doubt that I am even one), be prepared with a translator or confirm availability of translation services at the immigration office.   Comprehension is also a two way street.   There is always a chance that the officer can have trouble understanding the spoken english of the interviewee due to accent and/or pronunciation challenges.

Edited by JoelThai

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline
22 minutes ago, JoelThai said:

My wife had this experience at the Social Security office when applying for her SS card.  My wife was unsure of the meaning of the first question asked by the officer and looked to me for help in answering.   It was clear my wife did not fully understand the question without additional information.  Fortunately the officer knew what to do and requested a translator on the phone to assist with the questions.   Once the translator was on the phone, everything else went smoothly.

So, I guess the moral of Loren's experience is, unless both (husband and wife) are truly  fluent english speakers (sometimes I doubt that I am even one), be prepared with a translator or confirm availability of translation services at the immigration office.   Comprehension is also a two way street.   There is always a chance that the officer can have trouble understanding the spoken english of the interviewee due to accent and/or pronunciation challenges.

I guess no matter how much you are prepared, life is bound to throw us a curve.

Thankfully your case was resolved.  In my situation, we were prepared and he knew the answer BUT his issue was the way he answered a question, he was giving partial answers! She asked my husband where he lives(his address) and he just says the town name(in my head im yelling the ADDRESS!!) she looks at me to help guide him and I did.  She was ok with me helping him. but maybe other officers are having a bad day and they will get irritated and red flag it. 

AOS/EAD/AP ->: 11/29/18 - NOA1: 12/04/18

Biometric NOA:  12/14/18  Biometric Appt: 12/26/18

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview: 1/16/19

EAD/AP approval: 3/18/19

AOS Interview Appt: 6/4/19

AOS Interview: 7/10/19

AOS Approved: 7/23/19

GREEN CARD IN HAND: 7/26/19

"It's true, we don't have it as easy as ordinary couples. But this is no ordinary love"

14 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Yes, but I'll get thru. Now that it is later, I wish I asked for copies of these new policies and how it is supposed to work, but I was just so caught up in the moment that that didn't occur to me. I assure you I will be getting copies of the new rules on my next visit since you mentioned it.I don't know if it is a local office thing or what, but I wouldn't think so.

Thanks.  Yes, if you could post whatever you find out, that would be great.  We are still waiting for an interview date here in Seattle, after nearly a year.....

5 hours ago, Lebanese23 said:

If i don't understand someone, it will make my job harder to do, it's really not the officer's responsibility if you don't come prepared. Perhaps the phone call thing is new but regardless, you are RESPONSIBLE to bring your own translator, it avoids delays like these and even denials. What if your wife said something but the officer misunderstood her and gave her denial based on that. They are trying to help you, not waste both of your times.

my husband was nodding on few questions and she told him you have to say YES or NO, sign language isn't even allowed if you can clearly speak. They could be recording this for all we know. Good luck on your next one though!

I may be mistaken, but I got the impression that the October 1 changes  Loren references were separate from the translation issue- in other words, they are questions that everyone will now get.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.