Jump to content
Loren Y

New AOS rules started 10/01/2019 Hosed us at the interview today.

34 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Went to our AOS interview for the green card today at 2:25pm appointment. Arrived early did all the things you do, was called right on time for the interview. After ID checks we get to the office and get sworn in, next comes the new English fluency test. They have questions to ask to see if your fluent enough in English to answer questions at the interview. My wife is not exactly fluent, but her English is definitely good enough to have an interview conducted asking about me, my house, when I work, cars, etc. standard AOS interview questions. The sample questions are very technical and tough for even me to answer and I have been speaking English for over 40 years. she did ok I thought, but IO wasn't too sure, so she said just to be safe they would use the new translator by phone that USCIS started just a few days ago. Well, that's where the nightmare began. She had never used the phone translator before, miscalled the number about 3 times, prank called 2 people by mistake, finally went to get her supervisor to help her dial the phone ( You would think they would do some training before they put into effect a new procedure, at least make sure they know how to use the phone), so we finally get thru to the service and now it is close to 3pm PST, here is the complete hose, the service is only available from 8am to 5 pm EST, so 5am to 2pm PST, obviously we missed that by almost an hour now. I said I am sure my wife can handle the questions in English, lets not complicate things and get this done. Supervisor said there is a whole new list of questions they are asking for the AOS interview, and you have to really understand them to answer them correctly to match the information in the petition. The only option then was to reschedule the interview, so now I have to wait for a new interview where they are going to make sure it is before 5pm eastern time. Not only did I miss a day of work, get all dressed up, and smile and be nice to the clowns the whole time, now I will have to do it all over again. So moral of the story, make sure when you go to the interview your significant other is fluent in English, or make sure you go between the hours of 8am to 5pm eastern time, or do what I am going to do is bring a translator with me the next time around. May cost a few hundred dollars to have a interpreter there at my expense, but better than missing out on a simple interview.

 

So, anyone ever have to reschedule their AOS interview, and how long does it take to get the new interview. She said by law they have to give us 3 weeks notice of the interview appointment, so it will probably be a month from now, and I tried to convince her that I could be here with 1 days notice no problem if needed. but now, back into the mix waiting for an interview again that who knows when it will come. SO make sure you are prepared for the " NEW" procedure that they obviously are trying to start this month with no actual training on it. Really put me in a whole new level of dissatisfaction with how the whole Homeland security is run.

Edited by Loren Y

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! That is terrible. They should have at least notify people about this new pretesting.... Would you mind sharing here or in PM one or two sample questions they've asked?

 

Hope you can get a new interview soon and put all this behind you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that’s very unprofessional. Seems like they would have at least known the hours of the translation service. Or even better use a service that has working hours to accommodate all US time zones. This process is so trying 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Went to our AOS interview for the green card today at 2:25pm appointment. Arrived early did all the things you do, was called right on time for the interview. After ID checks we get to the office and get sworn in, next comes the new English fluency test. They have questions to ask to see if your fluent enough in English to answer questions at the interview. My wife is not exactly fluent, but her English is definitely good enough to have an interview conducted asking about me, my house, when I work, cars, etc. standard AOS interview questions. The sample questions are very technical and tough for even me to answer and I have been speaking English for over 40 years. she did ok I thought, but IO wasn't too sure, so she said just to be safe they would use the new translator by phone that USCIS started just a few days ago. Well, that's where the nightmare began. She had never used the phone translator before, miscalled the number about 3 times, prank called 2 people by mistake, finally went to get her supervisor to help her dial the phone ( You would think they would do some training before they put into effect a new procedure, at least make sure they know how to use the phone), so we finally get thru to the service and now it is close to 3pm PST, here is the complete hose, the service is only available from 8am to 5 pm EST, so 5am to 2pm PST, obviously we missed that by almost an hour now. I said I am sure my wife can handle the questions in English, lets not complicate things and get this done. Supervisor said there is a whole new list of questions they are asking for the AOS interview, and you have to really understand them to answer them correctly to match the information in the petition. The only option then was to reschedule the interview, so now I have to wait for a new interview where they are going to make sure it is before 5pm eastern time. Not only did I miss a day of work, get all dressed up, and smile and be nice to the clowns the whole time, now I will have to do it all over again. So moral of the story, make sure when you go to the interview your significant other is fluent in English, or make sure you go between the hours of 8am to 5pm eastern time, or do what I am going to do is bring a translator with me the next time around. May cost a few hundred dollars to have a interpreter there at my expense, but better than missing out on a simple interview.

 

So, anyone ever have to reschedule their AOS interview, and how long does it take to get the new interview. She said by law they have to give us 3 weeks notice of the interview appointment, so it will probably be a month from now, and I tried to convince her that I could be here with 1 days notice no problem if needed. but now, back into the mix waiting for an interview again that who knows when it will come. SO make sure you are prepared for the " NEW" procedure that they obviously are trying to start this month with no actual training on it. Really put me in a whole new level of dissatisfaction with how the whole Homeland security is run.

That totally sucks!! I had the most wonderful experience with Las Vegas office and the IO was so lovely (relieved my anxiety from what I was expecting). I'm not sure of these "new rules" to be honest. We had a lady from Oakland who smiled when she saw my POE stamp from K1 and made it known that Oakland was her hometown and I responded how beautiful the airport was the people too. Really hope you get rescheduled soon! As you say, if there are "new rules" further training is required. Sorry this has happened :(

 

Best wishes,

J

Edited by jakejon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Went to our AOS interview for the green card today at 2:25pm appointment.

I am really sorry that happened. Hey one good thing is this put the whole Chinese transit visa thing away right? Whatever happened to that? Did you rebook a different flight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

 

Sorry to hear you had to go through that awful experience.

 

does anyone know what these interview rule changes might be? Solely related to interpreters?

I'm not seeing any updates to their policy manual here that seem relevant. Other posters interviewing in September don't report changes so this definitely sounds like something new.

 

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/updates

 

Best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

I am really sorry that happened. Hey one good thing is this put the whole Chinese transit visa thing away right? Whatever happened to that? Did you rebook a different flight?

Nope didn't re book a flight, just went ahead and applied for the visa with the EAD/AP card and will see what happens by the end of next week. The card should be enough, and then we will know the answer one way or another. I was just waiting to see what happened at the interview before I filed for the visa wanting to keep her passport on hand in case a stamp was a possibility. Now since I'm looking at a 3-4 week wait minimum to get another interview, having the passport on hand isn't that important anymore so I already submitted it and the EAD/AP card to the travel agency and it is on its way to the San Fransisco  Chinese consulate for processing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silmaril said:

Hi

 

Sorry to hear you had to go through that awful experience.

 

does anyone know what these interview rule changes might be? Solely related to interpreters?

I'm not seeing any updates to their policy manual here that seem relevant. Other posters interviewing in September don't report changes so this definitely sounds like something new.

 

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/updates

 

Best of luck!

We will have to wait and see if any other October interviews report on this. According to the supervisor it all started on the 1st of October, and I was just unlucky enough to have an interview 2 days after new policy started. I have already contacted a local translation company, and they have no problems supplying me with a interpreter for the next interview, so that issue is solved for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Ugh!  That bites, Loren.  Sorry to hear.  What are the "new rules"?

Yes, but I'll get thru. Now that it is later, I wish I asked for copies of these new policies and how it is supposed to work, but I was just so caught up in the moment that that didn't occur to me. I assure you I will be getting copies of the new rules on my next visit since you mentioned it.I don't know if it is a local office thing or what, but I wouldn't think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Loren Y said:

She had never used the phone translator before, miscalled the number about 3 times, prank called 2 people by mistake, finally went to get her supervisor to help her dial the phone ( You would think they would do some training before they put into effect a new procedure, at least make sure they know how to use the phone)

 

 

I work for another Federal Agency. Standard operating mode. Little or no training for new procedures. Just use the first three or four cases as training guinea pigs. Blah. I hope things go better for you next time.


Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, boris64 said:

I work for another Federal Agency. Standard operating mode. Little or no training for new procedures. Just use the first three or four cases as training guinea pigs. Blah. I hope things go better for you next time.

Exactly right. I mean, they don't Know the phone number to call, or the hours they are open, really? That means anyone for the rest of the month with a appointment after 2pm is rescheduled just like me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to reschedule a AOS interview for my husband because I was in the hospital after surgery and couldn't get discharged yet. We were rescheduled to have our interview almost exactly a month after the original one. However that included a walk in without an infopass at that time. I hope you get yours soon and get it over with. I also wonder about the questions they asked. 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you please share these "sample test questions" here or PM?


August 2015 Came to US (F-1 PhD student)

AOS timeline

Spoiler

 

...

01/02/2018 Started dating 

01/21/2019 Got engaged

04/08/2019 Got married

06/17/2019 AOS package sent

06/19/2019 Package delivered

06/24/2019 Card charged 

06/25/2019 Text notifications (no email!)

07/03/2019 Received NOA1 for I-485, I-130, I-765, I-131 (dated 06/25/2019)

07/20/2019 Received biometrics appointment letter (dated 07/12/2019)

07/31/2019 Biometrics

09/03/2019 Received interview notice

10/10/2019 Interview

10/11/2019 Case approved! :star:

...  

waiting

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...