laylalex

Woman quits job to ‘spoil husband’ like a 1950s housewife

112 posts in this topic

While I was perusing the NY Post just now to refresh my memory on that other thread about why women can't find men, I found this one. :D I don't have a problem with it, because they both seem happy, and she's driving this, not him.

“He grew up in a house where he helped his mom with the cooking and the cleaning, so he is not domineering in any way,” she says. “If I did, heaven forbid, have dinner late, he would not make a fuss, but I can tell it means a lot to him that it’s normally on time.”

The bottom line: “A man needs his wife to make him feel spoiled every once in a while.” Besides, that’s the payoff “because he makes a lot more money than I do. He works very long hours and makes my dreams come true, so I try to make his come true, too. It’s an equal partnership.”

https://nypost.com/2019/09/30/woman-quits-job-to-spoil-husband-like-a-1950s-housewife/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I worked with a very nice lady that planned to be a housewife/mom when she got pregnant with her first child. I have no issues with that as it is a big job, and it was their mutual choice.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

22 minutes ago, laylalex said:

While I was perusing the NY Post just now to refresh my memory on that other thread about why women can't find men, I found this one. :D I don't have a problem with it, because they both seem happy, and she's driving this, not him.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/30/woman-quits-job-to-spoil-husband-like-a-1950s-housewife/

Still some real wimmens out there 

21 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Had me going there right up until I saw the online store.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Well, I totally support this woman's decision to do this, because both spouses are on board (for the time being). As a feminist, I support a woman choosing the life path that she believes is best for her. If she has a partner, she should take his or her point of view into consideration as well.

I say this as a woman who was coerced into quitting her job by her former husband. I had a good job and a career path, and while we had previously agreed that I would go part-time, and then leave my job when we had children, soon being part-time was too much for him, even though we didn't have kids. He was convinced the stress of the job was affecting my fertility. I was very much under his thumb back then and believed all the stupid junk he told me about how men and women should perform their roles in a marriage. So I quit my job and sat around the house -- we had a housekeeper, so I was in charge of decorating the house and cooking dinner when I felt like it. I took a bunch of classes on things like flower arranging and journalism and fiction writing and whatnot, and I went shopping, and I was stupendously bored. I need to be doing something to feel fulfilled, and that wasn't it. Even now I could choose not to work but I do, because it is good to be useful. :) 

Alex and I have an agreement that I will work for as long as I want, and vice versa. He's in a different position than me since he has other obligations (spousal/child support) to handle, but if he wanted to quit tomorrow, and he was truly happy doing that, I would support him because I can.

Filed: IR-5 Country: England
Timeline
1 minute ago, laylalex said:

Alex and I have an agreement that I will work for as long as I want, and vice versa. He's in a different position than me since he has other obligations (spousal/child support) to handle, but if he wanted to quit tomorrow, and he was truly happy doing that, I would support him because I can.

Really? As I understand, your alimony income stream dries up when you marry. So if your husband chose to be a house-husband, you would be just fine supporting him with your stand-around-and-look-pretty income? And if he "quit tomorrow," you would be happy and able to fulfill his spousal obligations and child support? Truly? I don't believe you've thought this out.

4 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I say this as a woman who was coerced into quitting her job by her former husband. I had a good job and a career path, and while we had previously agreed that I would go part-time, and then leave my job when we had children, soon being part-time was too much for him, even though we didn't have kids. He was convinced the stress of the job was affecting my fertility. I was very much under his thumb back then and believed all the stupid junk he told me about how men and women should perform their roles in a marriage. So I quit my job and sat around the house -- we had a housekeeper, so I was in charge of decorating the house and cooking dinner when I felt like it. I took a bunch of classes on things like flower arranging and journalism and fiction writing and whatnot, and I went shopping, and I was stupendously bored. I need to be doing something to feel fulfilled, and that wasn't it. Even now I could choose not to work but I do, because it is good to be useful. :)

Except that in previous posts you mentioned you knew the situation going in. You have said, in fact, that you relished this role of home maker, and how much time it would give you to pursue interests you had never been able to do because you were tied to a job all the time. This man, who took you at your word, truly sounds like a beast. :whistle:

-

“He’s in there fighting,” the president said. “Boris knows how to win.”

22 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Well, I totally support this woman's decision to do this, because both spouses are on board (for the time being). As a feminist, I support a woman choosing the life path that she believes is best for her. If she has a partner, she should take his or her point of view into consideration as well.

I do too. Nothing wrong with being a stay at home housewife if you want. I think she went off the deep end a little, and I don't think that part is necessarily going to lead to a great ending. Using a 1950's ab machine, record player, watching I love Lucy, listening to Sinatra. She's actually trying to go back to the 50's. 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

I do too. Nothing wrong with being a stay at home housewife if you want. I think she went off the deep end a little, and I don't think that part is necessarily going to lead to a great ending. Using a 1950's ab machine, record player, watching I love Lucy, listening to Sinatra. She's actually trying to go back to the 50's. 

My wife likes Sinatra.  There is a satellite station devoted to him and she loves it.

34 minutes ago, Boris Farage said:

Really? As I understand, your alimony income stream dries up when you marry. So if your husband chose to be a house-husband, you would be just fine supporting him with your stand-around-and-look-pretty income? And if he "quit tomorrow," you would be happy and able to fulfill his spousal obligations and child support? Truly? I don't believe you've thought this out.

My alimony will end, yes. But I was paid a lump sum that is more than adequate to support us both, including his obligations, for a very long time. If he wants to quit -- and he doesn't -- I would be fine because I could support us both. I have thought this out. But I can't imagine him willingly leaving the workforce right now. 

34 minutes ago, Boris Farage said:

Except that in previous posts you mentioned you knew the situation going in. You have said, in fact, that you relished this role of home maker, and how much time it would give you to pursue interests you had never been able to do because you were tied to a job all the time. This man, who took you at your word, truly sounds like a beast. :whistle:

I'm so pleased you have been paying THAT close attention to what I've been saying. While I was able to pursue outside interests, I wanted to be USEFUL. Since I couldn't work, I did what I could to be useful. But it was a prison, because I had no money of my own. Yes, I had agreed to be a housewife but I changed my mind when I was confronted with the reality of what that entailed. It was not healthy for me, and my husband would not budge. 

13 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

My wife likes Sinatra.  There is a satellite station devoted to him and she loves it.

Yeah, but did she buy a record player and use old vinyl LP's?  It really sounds much better remastered on digital media. We can appreciate the past without actually doing it over.

I like retro as much as anyone, but I was there for some of it the first time around, and really, nostalgia is not always what it's cracked up to be.

Edited by Steeleballz

1 hour ago, Bill & Katya said:

My wife loves the Blend and the Love channel.

Timeline
6 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

My wife loves the Blend and the Love channel.

Yes, those are presets in my wife’s car as well.

Timeline
10 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Yeah, but did she buy a record player and use old vinyl LP's?  It really sounds much better remastered on digital media. We can appreciate the past without actually doing it over.

I like retro as much as anyone, but I was there for some of it the first time around, and really, nostalgia is not always what it's cracked up to be.

No, they don't make record players for cars anymore.

I disagree with digital being "better" than vinyl, but I used to shoot a 150mm howitzer, so the distinction might be lost on me ....this women seems off, wanting to act like it's the 50's is one thing, acting in a 50's themed life seems crazy, I understand the roles they are playing, dated but, to each their own, but no need for the other trappings of the era, however, I might be willing to give her a pearl necklace or 2 .... 

Edited by Randyandyuni